JW splinter group -Times article

by anglise 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anglise
  • undercover
    undercover

He's loopy...

But then again...people who read what JWs believe think they're loopy too and I was a JW...so I guess I can't make too much fun of him.

• Confession
    Confession

He admits to being correct in his prophecies only one time out of ten, and continues to make predictions confidently... ??? The explanations he provides are a superb example of cult-think.

• Zico
    Zico

Thanks anglise, very interesting article, this is one well worth sending to a few JWs. JWs would probably laugh at him, but it looks like he actually has a better prediction rate than the Society ever has!

"The first recorded instances of such predictions are on an Assyrian tablet from around 2800BC which says: “Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common.”"

That says a lot...

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I love the part, "“Admittedly, we have got it wrong before,” says Gordon. How many times? “Over 70 but just because we've been wrong in the past doesn't mean we will be wrong in the future.”" Um, I believe it's called a "pattern". If there is a pattern of being wrong, it's just wrong.

How about some healing and resurrecting, dude? Maybe turn water into wine? Or feed 23 million people with about three kidney pies and a Yorkshire pudding?

B the X

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Was he one of the Knights who say Nigh!!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

“Admittedly, we have got it wrong before,” says Gordon. How many times? “Over 70 but just because we've been wrong in the past doesn't mean we will be wrong in the future. We've been right about some things. About one in ten of our prophecies are correct.”

Somewhat better performance than certain other groups...

And...see, I told you Armageddon came invisibly! I was just wrong about the date - it was March 21!

• willyloman
    willyloman

I'm sitting here reading this story and I look out my window and I'll be damned if I didn't see an Angel.

No, wait, it's....

Um.

Never mind.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

This was funny: "The second explanation, rather more prosaic, is that apocalyptic conclusions are reached by thick people venturing into abstract thought." I always wondered if there were splinter JW groups. I figured there had to be, but didn't know anything about them. I wonder if I ought to start a splinter JW group? I've always thought that a person who doesn't believe anything religious would be an ideal person to start a religion. The only thing is I can't come up with a name I like.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    I wonder if I ought to start a splinter JW group?

Hortensia, or should I call you "Mediatrix of Virgin Mobil" you already started your own religion earlier this year, our lady of technology church of good will. Don't you think you're getting a little selfish?

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit