England 2 USA 0

by digderidoo 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

" 11 English players ! 15 years ago, in a similar match, there would have been 20 English players."

No there wouldn't

"The poms are pathetic. Couldn't even make Euro 2008. What a bunch of losers and serves them right with their asshole hooligan fans."

Ignorant racist!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

bigmouth - lots of work - one of my team members has had surgery. But so far so good. I'm going to soon be advertising to see the response and take it from there.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Had no idea you even had a football team over there.....I thought it was soccer??

h4o

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

H4O, where ? Do you mean NZ or England ;)

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

England......but what the heck could be either I don't know, I thought just the US and Canada

did the football. the rest of the world was heavily into soccer...lol

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Hope for others,
    Soccer is more often than not called Football here and it makes sense because, and unlike American football the feet are predominantly used to play the game. So why American Football is called such I don't know.

Now, I have always thought "Soccer" was an Americanism, but apparently not:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~pstone/why.html

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

I love the naive comments on this thread, England should win 5 - 0, loads of hooligans blah blah blah

For the record The U.S now has a decent team with a lot of it's players plying there trade in Europe, only 4 players play in the MSL

Before the england game their last 3 results were: U.S 2 Sweden 0, U.S 2 Mexico 2, U.S 3 Poland 0.... all of those results against decent opposition, the U.S in the England game also packed the defence are very hard to break down

Hooliginism is highly prevelant across all of europe and you don't know what football fighting is is you have not watched Brazilian league football so kindly stop talking out of your ass about things you clearly have no knowledge of whatsoever

Mike

A big football fan

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"Now, I have always thought "Soccer" was an Americanism, but apparently not:" - Peppermint, that article is spot on IMHO.

With ref. to your thought on soccer as an Americanism, there was a belief that it was a South American word for 'Futebol' once upon a time.

As far as I can tell, it's only in Australia and North America that the word 'soccer' is used. Even in Rugby mad NZ, the national body is the New Zealand Football Association and people involved in the game usually call it football.

I was reading a history of the game in NZ in the late 1800's and it made mention of Assoc. Football, the 'Assoc.' having the start of the 'SOCcer' sound.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I was reading a history of the game in NZ in the late 1800's

wow how old are you

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

bigmouth - south africans mostly call it soccer as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit