QFR: Can Cristians Go Paragliding?

by MissingLink 23 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I was out with some JW friends. One elder, 3 ministerial servants, and lowly fading inactive publisher MissingLink in a car looking for something fun to do. We saw someone paragliding off a mountain.

Paragliding

One of the MS says:

Questions from readers: Can a christian in good conscience go paragliding?

MissingLink, annoyed at even considering not going, blurts out "YES"!

. . . Silence . . .

The elder (very cool guy) says "Do you know there's a trick to those kind of articles?"

Ministerial Servant #2: "go on"

Elder: "The trick to those articles is - don't read them. Ignorance is bliss.".

I'm 100% sure this is the best advice I've ever gotten from an elder!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Back in 1967, when I started my private pilot license course, I got precautioned by the local congregation overseer (a jerk of all JW jerks) on "taking unneccasary risks".

Nothing was officially done, I think because there was nothing specifically he could find in print on the subject.

It may be faulty memory, but I think there may have been a question from readers on parachute jumping, mountain climbing, and other "high risk" sporting activities.

• blondie
    blondie

*** g00 10/8 pp. 18-19 The Bible’s Viewpoint "Extreme Sports"—Should You Take the Risk?

"THESE DAYS MORE AND MORE OF US HAVE LEFT THE OBSERVER’S SEAT TO DO OUR OWN LEAPING OUT OF PLANES, RAPPELLING DOWN MOUNTAINS, KAYAKING OVER WATERFALLS AND DIVING WITH SHARKS."—THE WILLOW GLEN RESIDENT NEWSPAPER.

THIS comment describes a growing trend in sports. The significant rise in the popularity of such activities as skydiving, ice climbing, paragliding, and BASE jumping reflects a world enamored with taking risks. Snowboards, mountain bikes, skateboards, and in-line skates are also used to push personal limits by challenging the steepest mountains, the highest cliffs, and the longest jumps. As Time magazine states, the rising popularity of "extreme sports"—sports in which participants take great personal risks—highlights the eagerness of millions to participate on "the metaphorical edge, where danger, skill and fear combine to give weekend warriors and professional athletes alike a sense of pushing out personal boundaries."

However, this increase in popularity also brings with it a high personal cost. More and more people get injured when relatively safe sports are taken to an extreme. In the United States during 1997, emergency-room visits for skateboarding-related injuries increased by more than 33 percent, for snowboarding 31 percent, and for mountain climbing 20 percent. For other sports, the results are even more dramatic, as is evident in the growing number of deaths related to extreme sports. Proponents of these sports are aware of the dangers. One woman who participates in extreme skiing states: "I constantly have death in the back of my mind." A professional snowboarder sums it up by saying that if "you don’t get hurt, then you’re not trying hard enough."

In view of these facts, how should a Christian regard participation in such activities? How can the Bible assist us in deciding whether we should engage in extreme sports? A consideration of how God feels about the sanctity of life will help to answer these questions.

God’s

ViewofLife

The Bible tells us that Jehovah is "the source of life." (Psalm 36:9) Beyond creating mankind, he also took great care in giving us what we need to enjoy life. (Psalm 139:14; Acts 14:16, 17; 17:24-28) It is reasonable, therefore, to conclude that he expects us to care for what he has so kindly given us. Laws and principles given to the nation of Israel help us appreciate that fact.

The Mosaic Law required that an individual take steps to protect the lives of others. If this was not done and a life was lost, the one who could have prevented the tragedy would be considered bloodguilty. For example, a homeowner was commanded to build a low wall or railing, called a parapet, around the flat roof of his new house. Otherwise, bloodguilt would come upon the house if someone fell to his death from the roof. (Deuteronomy 22:8) If a bull unexpectedly gored a person to death, the owner of the bull would not be held responsible. On the other hand, if the bull was known to be dangerous and the owner had been warned but did not keep the bull properly guarded, then if the bull gored someone, the owner of the bull would be considered bloodguilty and could be put to death. (Exodus 21:28, 29) Since life is precious to Jehovah, his Law reflected a high regard for the preservation and protection of life.

Faithful servants of God understood that these principles extended to taking personal risks as well. In one Bible account, David expressed his desire to be able to "have a drink of the water from the cistern of Bethlehem." Bethlehem was under Philistine control at the time. On hearing David’s request, three of his soldiers forced their way into the camp of the Philistines, drew out water from the cistern of Bethlehem, and brought it back to David. How did David react? He would not drink the water but, rather, poured it out on the ground. He said: "It is unthinkable on my part, as regards my God, to do this! Is it the blood of these men that I should drink at the risk of their souls? For it was at the risk of their souls that they brought it." (1 Chronicles 11:17-19) To David it was unthinkable to risk a life for his personal satisfaction.

Jesus reacted in a similar manner when, likely in a vision, the Devil tempted him to throw himself off the battlement of the temple to see if the angels would protect him from injury. Jesus responded: "You must not put Jehovah your God to the test." (Matthew 4:5-7) Yes, both David and Jesus recognized that it was wrong in God’s eyes to take unnecessary risks that could endanger human life.

With these examples in mind, we may wonder, ‘Where do we draw the line as to what is an extreme or dangerous sport? Since even a common form of recreation, not dangerous in itself, can be pushed to extreme limits, how can we determine how far we should go?’

Is

ItWorththeRisk?

An honest appraisal of any activity we might be contemplating will help us determine the answer. For example, we might ask ourselves, ‘What is the accident rate for this sport? Do I have the training or protective equipment needed to prevent injuries? What are the consequences if I fall or misjudge a jump or if my safety equipment fails? Would it be a minor mishap, or is there a probability of serious injury or death?’

Taking unnecessary risks in the name of recreation can affect a true Christian’s precious relationship with Jehovah as well as his eligibility for special privileges in the congregation. (1 Timothy 3:2, 8-10; 4:12; Titus 2:6-8) Clearly, even when engaging in recreational activities, Christians do well to consider the Creator’s view of the sacredness of life.

[Footnote]

BASE stands for building, antenna, span, and earth. This sport of parachuting from fixed objects such as buildings, bridges, and cliffs is considered so dangerous that it is banned by the National Park Service in the United States.

• Switch
    Switch

QFR: Do we ever give a positive answer if rank and file have to ask us a question? errr, NO. If you have to ask, then it's a no-go.

• blondie
    blondie

*** g94 7/8 pp. 9-11 Young People Ask . . .Thrill Sports—Should I Take a Chance?

"THIS will be the most terrifying moment of your life," you are told as you stand quivering on the platform. The countdown begins: "Five, four, three, two, one—JUMP!" The fall takes your breath away. You hurtle toward a seemingly certain death, but suddenly you feel the abrupt pull of an elastic cord. An exhilarating feeling of relief sweeps over you. You have survived!

Bungee jumping. The sport has attracted an estimated one to two million participants in the United States alone. It is just one of many sports that have recently skyrocketed in popularity—rock climbing, paragliding, white-water rafting, and sky surfing, to name a few. "The 90’s are the decade of the thrill sport," says one bungee-jump promoter.

Risky activities are not the domain solely of the affluent. Urban thrill seekers engage in such dangerous (and illegal) feats of daring as elevator surfing (riding the tops of moving elevators), tunneling (scampering through the duct systems of large buildings), subway surfing (riding on the roofs of moving subway cars), and stair diving (sliding down greased stairways).

What’s

theAttraction?

"I’ll try anything that gets me scared," says young Norbert. "I enjoy all sports—baseball, basketball—but bridge jumping got me scared! It’s totally unique." Young Douglas agrees. "Regular sports are cool, but they’re calculated," he says. "You’re always tied down. I like the feeling of falling. And the speed . . . You never have that feeling with other sports."

Thrill sports go beyond challenging your athletic ability; they bring you face-to-face with death! Participants seem to enjoy the adrenaline high produced. Some experts claim that certain people are genetically programmed to be Type-T, or thrill-seeking, personalities. However, most youths engage in some kind of risk taking; it’s their way of testing limits and developing self-confidence.

Unfortunately, youths do not always use good judgment in doing so. "The beauty of young men is their power," says Proverbs 20:29. But some appear to think that their power is unlimited. Dr. David Elkind says that teenagers often believe "they are special and unique—exempt from the laws of probability that apply to others. It is this belief in being special, in being wrapped in a cloak of invulnerability, that contributes most to teenagers’ decisions to take risks." Dr. Robert Butterworth similarly notes: "When you do something like skydiving, it gives you a sense of defying the odds, controlling your own fate."

However, risk taking can also be prompted by darker motives. In her book Childstress!, author Mary Susan Miller indicates that many young daredevils take foolish risks because they simply cannot cope with the stresses of their lives. Thrill sports may thus reveal self-destructive or even suicidal tendencies. "They deliberately put themselves in dangerous situations," says Miller, "as if defying fate to do the job for them."

Really

Risky?

Whatever their appeal, thrill sports can be dangerous. ‘So can crossing the street,’ some argue. But someone crossing the street is not deliberately seeking danger or thrills. And while many sports, such as bungee jumping, have fairly good safety records, things can go wrong. Mark Bracker, M.D., put it this way: "With a lot of these high-risk sports, when something goes wrong it can be catastrophic. The higher the thrill, usually the higher the risk, whether it’s jumping out of airplanes or hang gliding or motorcycle riding." One 20-year-old youth bungee jumped from a hot-air balloon hovering 190 feet [58m] above the ground. The problem? His cord was 260 feet [79m] long! He leapt to a terrible death.

Granted, some activities, such as motorcycling, may be enjoyed in a relatively safe and moderate manner. But one expert in sports medicine says of thrill seekers: "As their skills get better and better, they pick something harder and harder, and they end up with an injury." One youth confessed: "I’m an addict. It’s harder now to get that fear level and the rush."

For

Christians?

Does the Bible categorically rule out all sports? No. It is foolish extremes that are condemned. As recorded at Ecclesiastes 7:17, Solomon asked: "Why should you die when it is not your time?"

‘Life is short. Play hard,’ urges one advertisement for athletic footwear. But we have a responsibility to ourself, to those who love us, and to our Creator to treasure our life. Life is a gift from God. (Psalm 36:9) In Bible times serious penalties could be imposed if a life was taken accidentally. (Exodus 21:29; Numbers 35:22-25) God’s people were thereby encouraged to avoid needless risks.—Compare Deuteronomy 22:8.

Christians today likewise have an obligation to show respect for life. Would it be appropriate to pursue a sports activity that might expose you to unnecessary risks? When Satan the Devil tried to tempt Jesus, he argued that the angels would catch Jesus if he hurled himself down from the temple battlement. Jesus responded: "You must not put Jehovah your God to the test."—Matthew 4:5-7.

Besides, as strong and healthy as you may feel, you simply are not impervious to harm. It is unrealistic to reason: ‘It can’t happen to me.’ The Bible warns us that ‘time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all.’—Ecclesiastes 9:11.

Looking

BeforeYouLeap

It makes sense to think seriously about the possible consequences of leaping off a crane, of diving out of a plane, or of doing anything that might seem excessively risky. Do not simply rely on hearsay or on the enthusiastic reports of other youths. (Proverbs 14:15) Get the facts.

For example, just what is the accident rate for a particular sport? What safety precautions are taken? One expert says regarding scuba diving: "[People think that] going from the medium of air to water is dangerous . . . . But it is only dangerous if you do it without proper instruction." So you should also ask, What training and equipment are needed for this sport? Are there any legitimate benefits, such as exercise? Are any risks incidental, or is the primary objective of the sport to defy death?

If the latter is the case, you might ask yourself why risk taking so appeals to you. Is it simply a response to boredom or stress? Then why not find a safer, more wholesome way of dealing with such feelings? The book TeenageStress reminds us that risk taking is a "dangerous and ultimately ineffective method of coping with the negative side of stress."—Compare Proverbs 21:17.

After researching matters thoroughly—and talking things over with your parents—it may well be concluded that you would be better-off steering clear of extreme thrill sports. Your parents may prefer that you pursue activities that seem to be less inherently life threatening, such as bicycling, skating, skiing, and snorkeling, to name a few. Of course, even relatively safe activities can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken.

This happened to a small group of Christian youths who decided to go for a hike. They veered off the trail and began climbing a narrow edge on a steep cliff. Before long they found themselves virtually trapped, unable to go safely either forward or backward. The youth leading the group then heard a sudden noise. Two of his companions had fallen to their death. How tragic!

So please be cautious! ‘Rejoice in your youth,’ enjoying the strength and vigor with which you are blessed. (Ecclesiastes 11:9) But before accepting an invitation to do something risky, do what young Brian does. He says: "I ask myself, ‘How would Jehovah feel about it? How would it reflect upon my attitude toward the gift of life he has given me?’" Yes, weigh the risks, search your motives. Life is too precious to do otherwise.

[Footnotes]

"Bungee jumping" is a sport in which jumpers, attached to a long elastic cord called a bungee, leap from bridges, cranes, and even hot-air balloons. This allows for a virtual free-fall before the cord stretches tight, halting the plunge.

If you are depressed or are fighting self-destructive urges, why not talk to someone and get help instead of taking unnecessary risks?—See "Young People Ask . . . Is Suicide the Answer?" in our April 8, 1994, issue of Awake!

[Picture

onpage10]

Should Christian youths go in for thrill sports like bungee jumping?

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Blondie- I had to give a #4 talk based on that article. I didn't write outlines, I gave manuscript talks. I've got the whole thing on my computer still.

I'm pretty sure paragliding would be considered "out."

• undercover
    undercover
    The Mosaic Law required that an individual take steps to protect the lives of others. If this was not done and a life was lost, the one who could have prevented the tragedy would be considered bloodguilty. For example, a homeowner was commanded to build a low wall or railing, called a parapet, around the flat roof of his new house. Otherwise, bloodguilt would come upon the house if someone fell to his death from the roof. (Deuteronomy 22:8) If a bull unexpectedly gored a person to death, the owner of the bull would not be held responsible. On the other hand, if the bull was known to be dangerous and the owner had been warned but did not keep the bull properly guarded, then if the bull gored someone, the owner of the bull would be considered bloodguilty and could be put to death. (Exodus 21:28, 29) Since life is precious to Jehovah, his Law reflected a high regard for the preservation and protection of life.

So friends...you shouldn't get involved in extreme sports or any activity deemed dangerous because you might get hurt or even die. And if you did get injured and had to be taken to the hospital, we then could be held responsible in bloodguilt should you die. For you see, instead of holding life precious as does Jehovah, we'll let your sorry ass die instead of allowing a possible life-saving blood transfusion.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Well, in our re-re-re-study of the Revelation Climax book, what would you call what Jesus, the angels, the 144000, and Hojovah are doing most of the time? Standing on solid ground? Nope, more like paragliding.

About those articles, as noted in the opening conversation, we had a saying in Beth-hell, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

In conclusion, if while you're paragliding, you shout something like "Good News!" or "Babylon the Great has fallen!" you may count your time on a monthly field service report slip. As a messenger flying in midheaven you're fulfilling:

(Revelation 14:6-8) 6 And I saw another angel[ic gliding evangelizer] flying in midheaven, and he had everlasting good news to declare as glad tidings to those who dwell on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people, 7 saying in a loud voice: "FEAR God and give him glory, because the hour of the judgment by him has arrived, and so worship the One who made the heaven and the earth and sea and fountains of waters." 8 And another, a second angel[ic gliding evangelizer], followed, saying: "She has fallen! Babylon the Great has fallen, she who made all the nations drink of the wine of the anger of her fornication!"

B the X

• besty
    besty

"in-line skates"

oh dear - surely a keeper that WT article, for those who deny the high-control nature of this outfit

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Maybe they'll be a chapter about this in the new YPA book... one more spiritual piece of food to look forward to...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit