Were U Depressed Because U Were A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Alexia
    Alexia

I was depressed when I was in.

The bottom line, I wasn’t good enough and I was going to catch h3ll at Armageddon. When you’re constantly told you’re going to die if you don’t straighten up and fly right, it’s not hard to believe that many JW suffer from depression.

Because my mother couldn’t divorce my non-JW alcoholic father (said the elders) my upbringing was hellish at times. That contributed to my depression as an adolescent and adult as well.

Now that I’m OUT, I can get therapy, practice Yoga (a no-no in the BORG), mediate, and all the other things that are banned in the borg to heal myself.

Thinking back on the other friends in the congregation, the one thing we were allowed to do is D-R-I-I-K; as long as we didn’t go to crazy around other friends. Every event, BBQ, gathering, etc (except weddings) had beer, wine, and hard liquor. Nothing wrong with drinking because I love wine, but it was something about they way they drank – almost like an escape.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have battled depression all my life. I was raised a witness from 1 year old. I didnt escape the Tower till I turned 31.

I remember the JW's were against everything and everybody and everything and everybody was bad.

And the world was going to end any minute or day. And they were allways happy about earthquakes, famine, dissasters, war, pestilence, because that meant the end was comming soon

And every fun thing I did was bad and immoral and on the sly.

How could I not have been depressed.

Now I battle depression because I didnt get an education and life is hard when you dont have an education.

So I was depressed when I was a JW and I am depressed because I was a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit