Were U Depressed Because U Were A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

People get depressed for various reasons. But do you know of people that actually suffered from depression mainly because they were Witnesses?

I know of more than a few Witnesses that were always discouraged and feeling down. Almost miraculously, as soon as they left the religion, they started feeling better. Now they're off their meds and embracing life!

• minimus
    minimus

Of course, you could suffer from depression just because...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There have been a number of serious medical studies on this min and if I can find the URLs I will post them. Basicallty loads of research proves that JWs have a massively higher incidence of depression than the rest of the population. One study equated it with guilt - you can never do enough. Another study equated it with the fact that JWs attract people with depression or who are pre-disposed to it. I know a huge number of people who were happy people before the truth and became very prone to depression after baptism

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I was.

I think the problem was that I wanted out, but I couldn't get out because I was living with my parents and I was under the age of 18. After I turned 18 and they still made me goto the meetings, I began rebelling. Basically, I'd had enough, and as an adult, I believed I should make my own decision to attend the meetings and go in Feeld Service.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I was extremely depressed as a JW. Feeling much better now.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I remember when I got married the first time and moved away from the only cong. I had been in. We moved 2hrs away & OMG!!! this new cong consisted of nothing but backwards crazy people!!!! I cried & sobbed through all the meetings. Didn't take long to leave and go somewhere else. It's amazing the amount of witnesses that are on some kind of anti-depressant!!! Once I was df'd I think I snapped into reality!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Almost miraculously, as soon as they left the religion, they started feeling better. Now they're off their meds and embracing life!

I'm one of those.

Depression runs in my family, but trying to keep up with God's celestial chariot-like organization exacerbated my depressed state.

Now, I drink my herbal teas, read, meditate, and watch the other unhappy ones try to keep up. If they ask, I tell them the reasons why I left. If they don't ask, I still tell them anyway.

Sylvia

• shamus100
    shamus100

Hi Minimus,

I was quite depressed when I was a dub -

Why do people get depressed? Sometimes it's genetic - sometimes it's because your life sucks, and it's your minds way of saying that something is wrong. I was the latter, and it took me quite a few years to figure it out. The doctors had me just medicated, with no therapy. When I started therapy a few years after leaving the dubs, I tried to get off them. After having one hell of a time with the withdrawals, I found that I was actually happier off the meds than on them.

Speaking for myself, I was depressed because of religion; not a chemical imbalance.

All of my old friends that I know of - ALL are on anti-depressants now that are still dubs. Absolutely pathetic. Anti-depressants are way overprescribed, IMO. Certainley it was in my case.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Sylvia,

Isn't it great to be off medication? Honestly, I've never been happier, and I'm glad that you're feeling better too.

• yknot
    yknot

Depressed...NOPE

Repressed...YEP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit