Observations about dubs as people...

by Princess Daisy Boo 35 Replies latest jw friends

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

I forgot about Amway...

• LearningMore
    LearningMore

So, that is a thought. Maybe people who are into homeopathy and/or pyramid schemes are drawn to the witnesses? I was thinking of it the other way around....that witnesses are drawn to it.....Interesting. Makes sense with some of the people I know....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I haven't noticed more of a trend among witlesses than in people in general, aside that there is greater opportunity, for them to push MLM type programs while I was in. There were a couple--one pushed a product called KM (which was supposed to have been a cleansing product). I tried it, and it did absolutely nothing (and it tasted nasty).

There was another product called barley greens that one of them was distributing. However, I could see absolutely no difference between that product and the same products that were sold at health food stores. I did not fall into that one.

As for those get rich quick scams, I have not seen that. Most of the witlesses were in cleaning businesses, and I never got involved in their businesses. Some were landlords, and had other witless tenants (meaning that getting disfellowshipped would have led to eviction or severe rent hikes). I was hounded into one of those around the time I started studying, but the fact that I was not willing to move across town in a bad neighborhood for a lousy $5 a month savings in rent, plus being hounded to pioneer. Thus I managed to stay out of that scam, too.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My ex's family did every single MLM that passed before them. On top of alienating everyone because of their constant hounding of all the people in the congregation, they also have a closet full of useless items they couldn't sell

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Thanks for the thoughts folks...

I just wanted to say that with regard to the Alternative treatments theory, I am not against stuff like homeopathy and reflexology at all - I really do believe they have their place in medicine, but there definitly seemed to be more of a trend toward that kind of thing in the congregation that I was in than amongst the people I know now!

I am however not a fan of any MLM scheme - especially Amway - I think that they are a cult within themselves!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think the alternative medicine theory stems back to the idea they believe god created the planet to suit humankind so that there are NATURAL cures and balances for everything. They also seem to be more trusting of what authority figures say (when not in conflict with bible) than other people are.

As for the get rich quick schemes my grandpa got taken by a scammer in the cong. like that. I remember the same guy took other people for money too. I also remember tupperware parties, pampered chef parties and um these people that would have you over for dinner and try to sell you pots and pans telling you your pots were really harmful.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

amway and herbalife.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Tupperware - they were tupperware freaks. Some sister was always having a tupperware party. A couple of times went to a "naughty but nice" party (thrown by worldly work mates & coerced into going) NOW THOSE were fun - Drinks and all sorts of toys and things

oh my god and herbalife - hahaha forgot about that one!!

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

another thing they were really into here is selling stuff from Vorwerk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorwerk_%28company%29 (read the "trivia" part on the very bottom)

they'd go house to house selling vacuum cleaners, because, you know... it works pretty much the same as field service. i knew many many brothers who worked for that company.

and yeah, anything that has to be sold in a "party". was forced into one once, so boooring! almost like book-study.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Oh, that's right! I forgot about KM too... We had several people who drove around with KM magnets on the side of their cars. "Ask ME about KM"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit