Is this new? WT says that JESUS resurrects.

by ozziepost 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, on the "official" WT site, there's an article on grieving and a photo caption that reads:

Bible accounts show that Jesus has the power and the desire to bring children back to life

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20070501/article_02.htm

I wonder, is this a new slant on the resurrrection?

I find it interesting that in such an article, they don't say "Jehovah will resurrect".

Are they trying to appear more acceptable in their message, i wonder?

• carla
    carla

What?! don't they usually say that Jesus is basically just like an expiditor for God? Jesus only does these things somehow 'through' God? He is only given restricted powers so to speak? But that all the power is from God and Christ doesn't actually do these things Himself?

• blondie
    blondie

Not a new idea...WTS puts his resurrecting under God's direction and only with God's power, not much different than creating and being king in the kingdom.

*** w06 3/15 p. 4 The Only Remedy!***

Jesus Christ too plays a key role in resurrecting the dead. A little over a year after beginning his ministry, Jesus said: "Just as the Father raises the dead up and makes them alive, so the Son also makes those alive whom he wants to." (John 5:21) Does not the experience of Lazarus show that Jesus Christ has the power as well as the desire to resurrect the dead?

w02 1/1 p. 30 Elders—Train Others to Carry the Load***For example, what a weighty assignment Jesus will soon receive—that of resurrecting and judging billions of people now dead!—John 5:21, 22.

w78 9/1 p. 26 par. 8 "I Shall Resurrect Him at the Last Day"***

These are the spiritual sons of Jehovah God. These are the ones whom he draws to Jesus by their present belief in him. These are the ones of whom Jesus speaks as entering into everlasting life by his resurrecting of them at the last day.

w77 12/15 p. 743 How Dependent Are We on Jesus Christ?***

In order for Jesus Christ to judge the dead, he must be able to summon them before him, and this he does by resurrecting them.

w69 3/1 p. 134 How God Will Free Mankind from Sickness and Death***We can have full confidence that this will be a reality. Keep in mind that, while on earth, Jesus not only cured the sick and crippled; he also brought dead persons back to life. (Matt. 11:2-6) This demonstrated God’s wonderful power of resurrecting the dead, a power he has granted to Jesus Christ.

w67 9/15 p. 552 Can You Get Along Without God?***

It can come about only through the power of the original Source of life, Jehovah God, who will use Jesus Christ to do the resurrecting.

***tr chap. 12 p. 108 par. 15 Righteous Rule Makes Earth a Paradise***We can have full confidence that this will be a reality. Keep in mind that, while on earth, Jesus not only cured the sick and crippled; he also brought dead persons back to life. (Matthew 11:2-6) This demonstrated God’s wonderful power of resurrecting the dead, a power he has granted to Jesus Christ
  • Velvetann
    Velvetann

Good Question Ozzie!!! For sure they are saying Jesus will resurrect.

Jehovah purposes that his Son will give life to those who have died. Countless millions of children lost in death will “hear his voice” when he speaks to them: “I say to you, Get up!” Those young ones will again be walking and talking. And like Jairus and his wife, the parents of those children will be “beside themselves with great ecstasy.”

I personally have no idea what they are up to. It sounds like they are giving out some "new incentive" to keep the poor followers hanging on. Even though Jesus is not resurrecting "immediately" as in the Bible they are suggesting as usual that it will be SOON and then they can see their children again. Just another way to say The New System is right around the corner.

My 2 cents

Velvetann

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If Jesus has the power and desire to resurrect people, then why is he not doing so at this time?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Because humankind is in the process of proving how utterly incapable it is of running things itself, remember?

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Blondie you are amazing. Thanks for the info.

Velvet

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Oz, you make a good point though. Attribution to the Almighty Jehovah seems to be lacking in this case. Possibly the result of an effort to meld Jesus into a more mainstream identity?

Jesus seems to be taking on a larger part of the theology of the Jw's nowadays. Some think it is window dressing in an attempt to buy converts - and it might be. But just perhaps there is some internal change going on - perhaps the Jw's are trying to actually move closer to center, philosophically and theologically? One or two members of the GB could begin to move them that way perhaps. With the younger GB members - and the likelihood that they are also more apt to look at the Internet faith sites, as well as the former Jw sites - this could be that influence.

It seems that many cults eventually become mainstream or just die out. This might just be survival tactics.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    “Bring the Woman Who Lost Two Children”

Kehinde and Bintu, a Nigerian couple who are Jehovah’s Witnesses, lost two of their children in a car accident. Ever since, they have suffered pain because of this terrible loss. Even so, their trust in Jehovah sustains them, and they continue sharing the Bible’s message of hope with their neighbors.

Others noticed the serenity and strength displayed by Kehinde and Bintu. One day a woman named Mrs. Ukoli said to one of Bintu’s friends: “Bring the woman who lost two children at the same time and is still preaching the Bible’s message. I want to know what gives her the power to endure.” When Bintu arrived at the woman’s house, Mrs. Ukoli told her: “I want to know why you are still preaching about the God who killed your children. God took my only girl. Since then, I have nothing to do with God.” Bintu used the Bible to explain the reason why people die and why we can have the sure hope that dead loved ones will be resurrected.— Acts 24:15 ; Romans 5:12 .

Afterward, Mrs. Ukoli said: “I used to think that God takes people in death. Now I know the truth.” She decided to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses in order to learn more about God’s promises.

This was an interesting box highlighting experiences of Jw's in Africa, a continent that gets very little play in Jw publications' typical Western slant.

Jeff

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Jesus seems to be taking on a larger part of the theology of the Jw's nowadays.

That's an impression I have too.. I remember the days whenabsolutely everything (except the cross!) was attributed to Jehovah. I recall mentioning to people at our KH that Jesus is the creator and being looked at very warily! Yet that's what the NWT says. Colossians chapter 1, for example, states just that. Even the inserted word "other" in the NWT doesn't change the fact that Paul speaks of Jesus as having created..

So, I'm especially 'sensitive' to reading anything in their publications that reveals a change in their official stand on the nature of Christ; it was that that caused me to question the Dub teachings many years ago now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit