some quirks of the DC talks...

by metaspy 42 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks for that!

I just realized that their methodology in these talks is to just rattle off assertions and assumptions and tag each of them with a scripture. The facade is that it demonstrates how the assertion is derived from the scripture. But in practice everyone reads the scripture and nods their head, making a mental note on how to understand the scripture in terms of the assertion.

Most of the time the correlation between the assertion and what the scripture is saying (in context) is pretty darn weak. Sometimes even totally unrelated.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    The Drama is about the Apostle John coming back to one of the congregations after writing Revelation.
    The congregation is having problems with an apostate elder, who is pushing for higher education, working/materialism, and entertainment.
    John has some words with the apostate toward the end. Then the apostate shows himself to be an idol maker.

Wow, that's just flat out crazy ! Higher Education = Apostasy ! Where do they get this crap ? The same with lumping working and entertainment with "apostasy".

It's obvious they're trying VERY hard to instill FEAR in everyone so that ANY person that puts any amount of emphasis on higher education, working or entertainment is flirting with apostasy and should be viewed with suspicion.I hope that those sitting there listening to that nonsense get their eyes opened to the fact this is a CULT !

It's also obvious that they're not loosening the reins in any way, shape or form.They don't care about anyone's comfort, gas prices, family,stress level, etc.It's ALL about their OWN self-interests.Even when I was a Witness I thought that most of the drama's were so far out in left field I'm surprised anyone wasn't embarrassed to talk about them being "so good".

• sir82
    sir82
    The congregation is having problems with an apostate elder, who is pushing for higher education

I have not seen this drama yet, but it sounds rather like the one from 3 or so years ago where "Timothy's friend" went to get a "higher education"...

I love the anachronisms they manage to interject in 1st century life...like as if 99% of 1st century Christians weren't illiterate fishermen or farmers, and universities operated exactly as they do today....

...and teenagers were wooed by the "University of Jersusalem" for a "javelin scholarship"...and had to worry about their SATs (shepherd aptitude test)....and people went to universities to "learn how to run the family business"...

Speaking of anachronisms, in one of the latest magazines (July 15 maybe?) they have a picture of 2 apostles standing in someone's doorway, reading from a scroll!

Like as if (a) first centrury Christian were so commonly obscenely wealthy that they could afford to buy scrolls to carry around with them, and (b) more than 1 person out of 1000 would be able to read, and (c) more than 1 person out of 10,000 would be "at home" during daylight hours rather than out working 12-14 hours a day.

They count on the ignorance of the average JW to make their points.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit