Been to London today!!!

by digderidoo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Yeah I know when ever I tell someone I'm from California they either know Disneyland or LA, My Aunt and Uncle use to live in Ipswich, so the first time I went to London it was only for a couple days and spent most of my time in Ipswich, Mildenhall, St. Edmunds, and around Dover, sorry if I don't spell some of the names of your towns correct I was drunk a lot of the time I was there, some kind of drink called Boddingtons Cream

• besty
    besty
    Lol WA, it is funny though that when any Englishman tries to explain where they are from to an American a common response is, "oh your from London ". Even though i live in the Midlands (about 3 hrs away) i tend to give in and say " yes i am". You wouldn't believe how many times that is said, not just me, others will say the same. It's a bit of a running jok

Try living in LA, being Scottish and last home town was London. It gets very confusing for a lot of Americans.

Typical response being "Ah you're Scartissue, nice - is that like England, London, Britain thing? Just outside Europe ye?"

• besty
    besty
    Strange, I swear I remember being able to see 10 Downing last time I was there....

ye - you can get to the end of the street and look through some big iron gates and maybe catch a sideways glimpse of the famous No 10 but no chance of getting up close unless you are in politics or the media or have an appointment with somebody important

The IRA were actively bombing mainland England since 1974 and all through the 80's and eatly 90's London was a prime target. So Mrs Thatcher gated the street in 1987. Didn't stop the IRA mortaring 10 Downing St in 1991 though - no injuries and they missed their target. You can see their modus operandi if you scroll down in this story you will see an image of the type of truck they used http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/2297665.stm

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am on the Eastern side of the midlands and I can get down to London easily. I have been going twice a year in recent times. There is no place like it .

I love the British Museum with its natural light dome over the Reading Room. (always hope to meet a party of dubs on the tours but no luck yet, I would love to tag along and ask questions. I dress properly, just in case!) and anybody else been to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre where you can stand around the stage and see a play for £5? (at least that price last year)

• mouthy
    mouthy

I'm born in Plastow( I'm an eastender LOL) But none of you went to Madam Taussauds???? Shame on you all. It is terrific

• south african beef
    south african beef

I work in London at least two days a week and we live about half on hours train journey (or one and a half hours by car - 22 miles!!) away.

In my opinion London is one of the greatest cities on earth - the mix of ulta modern with the fantastic history is breathtaking. London is really made up of lots of villages all combined to make one city, each part has its own unique atmosphere ant identity.

SAB

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

"each part has its own unique atmosphere ant identity."

All I can say SAB is:

unplug the jukebox
    and do us all a favour
    that music's lost its taste
    so try another flavour -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest