Been to London today!!!

by digderidoo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I haven't been to London in about 15 years. I decided to take my kids for their first outing to see the sights. I remember as a kid going with my mom and nan, we actually went inside The Houses of Parliament, went in The House of Lords, up Downing St, but now with the terrorist threats obviously all thats changed.

There is a definate difference in the security aspect of it, but not enough to take the shine off the experience.

We saw the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, the band playing were the Ghurka regiment, something i have never seen before. Saw Big Ben, Trafalgar Square. We went to the London eye, but it's so expensive, alot of these attractions just seem to want to fleece the tourists. We ended up in the Natural History Museum to look at the dinosaurs! My eldest son seemed just as fascinated seeing streets from Monopoly than he did with these other things!

It made me realise there is such a lot to see in London, a day trip cannot cover it. So we'll go again, but for the time being the kids loved it. Thought i'd just share my day here before i go to bed.

Paul

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sounds like a fun day with the kids...

We ended up in the Natural History Museum to look at the dinosaurs

My kids were nuts about dinosaurs when they were little..

It would be great to visit London and see the sites there, I hope within the next yr or two...I least those are my ideas...

cheers!

hope4others

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Paul

Glad you loved London it is one of the greatest cities in the world. I was born in North London. Central London where you were is fantastic , so much to see in a small area. I went on the London Eye for my birthday 10 days ago and it was great

You can spend a long time there and still not see it all.

regards

David

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Ah I love london - I"ve been a few times - stayed for a couple of months at a time. There is SO much to do, the night life is great, the theatre, china town, all the touristy things. Ah I miss it.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I love London... I really do - so much to see and do and so much history!!! Ahhh - I want to go back!

• siy
    siy

so you didn"t pop in to mill hill then? just to say high " im free free".

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    so you didn"t pop in to mill hill then? just to say high " im free free".

Lol, that's reminded me of a time when we were kids and went to London. We had only just started studying so we thought we'd be made welcome at Mill Hill. When we got there the brother on the reception looked at us as if we were mad, told us they didn't do tours over the weekend, so off we went with our tale between our legs back to the sights.

We're going to go again, would love to go to the Tate Modern and my kids, boys in particular, want to see the mummies in the British Museum.

Paul

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

"It made me realise there is such a lot to see in London, a day trip cannot cover it"

You need about three days just to do the British Museum.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I worked in London some years ago and whilst initially I hated the place (given that I am a true northerner!) I have to admit my impressions of the place grew on me. I travelled extensively throughout London with my work but was predominantly in Archway (N19) and even to this day just going up there through Camden brings a smile to my face and a feeling of being home from home.

To this day I love my visits back and I usually get to go there once a month or so.

Glad you enjoyed.

Gary

• jstalin
    jstalin

I was just in London last month. I was disappointed that I couldn't walk up Downing street any more. The last time I was in London - maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I could at least see the PM's house. Being an American, the Pound is so much more expensive than it has been. Everything was extremely expensive for us. I was happy to see that London has cleaned up... a lot less graffiti than the last time I was there.

Then I went on to Paris. Anyone ever ride the Paris underground? Now THAT is disgusting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit