My parents are going to meet with me!

by Confession 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

It was two years and two months ago when I told my mother that I no longer recognize the WTS religion as being "The Truth." As you may know, to a JW mother, this is like telling her you've decided to jump off a skyscraper. I have spoken to her only two times since then, and have not seen her or my dad since then. Nor has any of my family (three siblings and their spouses) made any attempt to contact me.

About a month ago, I noticed that my company was going to be sending me to Midland, Michigan, which is only a bit over an hour from my parents. So I called, and Mom answered. This is how it went...

-------------------------------------------------------------

ME: Hello, Mom, it's your son.

MOM: (gasp) Hello.

ME: I just found out my company is sending me to Midland on the weekend of May 31st and June 1st, and I thought you and Dad might want to see me.

MOM: Well I don't know... Have you changed your mind about anything?

ME: Changed my mind? How do you mean?

MOM: About your decision to turn people away from Jehovah's organization.

ME: What? Mom, I've never said anything like that to you.

MOM: I thought you did. You know, about all the things you learned about Brother Rutherford.

ME: Brother Rutherford? Mom, you've completely misunderstood. Yes, it's true I no longer recognize the Watchtower Society as being "Jehovah's Organization." I know, as part of some of the things we talked about, I mentioned some things about Joseph Rutherford--but, let's be clear, the fact that he was a lecherous drunk has absolutely NOTHING to do with my reasons for coming to the conclusions I have. And I have never told you that I was mounting some sort of campaign to "turn people away" from that organization.

MOM: I thought you did.

ME: Well, if by that you mean simply telling people what I think about that organization when I have occasion to--certainly, yes, I intend to do that. Isn't that what you do when discussing the Catholic religion? Don't you tell people what you really think? Is it wrong for me to tell people what I believe--but right for you?

[This produces an uncomfortable sound and more of the same discussion we've had in the previous two conversations.]

MOM: I don't know what Dad will say, but I know I'd like to see you because I LOVE YOU!! I LOVE YOU!!

ME: I know you love me, Mom. Of course you do. Do you think I don't know that you love me? The only problem here is that a group of men in Brooklyn, New York, are threatening you to act out of harmony with your natural love for me because I no longer recognize their authority. Can't you see how evil that is?

[More stuff about Jesus' setting up a new covenant, etc... She tells me she's not sure how my dad will react; that she'll have to talk with him. The whole tone bounces back and forth between one in which she's expressing sadness for not seeing me--and one in which she's acting like this is just punishment for not continuing to follow the Society's dictates. In an attempt to give my perspective I say the following...]

ME: Mom, I'm doing great. (My daughter) Chelsea's doing great. Dad is 75. You're 74. I thought you might like to see me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She ends by telling me she'll talk to Dad, and they'll send me an e-mail. (An e-mail?) Anyway, a couple of weeks later I got the e-mail. She told me they would meet with me on Saturday night (May 31st.) In my reply I told them we could find a nearby restaurant and go there. But I'm wondering if they'll invoke the "not even eating with such a man" principle.

I've decided I'm going to be as positive as possible, and have no need to bring up WTS stuff. But...if they want to go there, I will have ready for them two copies of the letter I have been writing for (guess how long?) two years and two months. It's presently 29 pages. Yes, I know they may not read it--or even accept it. But I will at least try to reach them with one of the opening paragraphs and two scriptures...

My intent is not to convince you that my way of thinking is the only right one, but instead to demonstrate that my reasons for coming to the conclusions I have are by no means frivolous. I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of disagreement. I am however troubled by those who assert that their conclusions are the only right ones, and that disagreement with them brings conflict and estrangement.
    "When anyone is replying to a matter before he hears it, that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation." [Proverbs 18:13, NWT—underlining added]
    "We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God's Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination." [The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life, 1968, page 13]

It could be that they are only coming to see me for the last time. A couple of years ago, they told my ex-wife that they would like to see me "one last time." The interesting thing? I really am okay with such a thing. While I admit I can get worked up when considering the injustice of minds being hijacked, the fact is I've made peace with the fact that such a thing happens--and that I may never have a relationship with my family members as a result. I'm okay with recreating my life; in fact I've already done a pretty good job of that.

I'll let you know how this goes.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    Dad is 75. You're 74. I thought you might like to see me.
    It could be that they are only coming to see me for the last time. A couple of years ago, they told my ex-wife that they would like to see me "one last time."

Its still sad to say the least, hope all goes well and you have a real good visit. I will be looking forward to your update.

Cheers

hope4others

• BFD
    BFD

Good luck, Confession! I hope all goes well. It will be nice to see them, I'm sure.

BFD

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I know how nervous you are about the meeting. I hope it all goes well, and that you can have a peaceful reunion.

momz

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Confession - nice avatar. I am a huge DMB fan as well.

I hope all goes well when you meet with your folks.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

It's so sad that parents listen to the men in Brooklyn and just write off their kids.

I'm glad they have agreed to see you and hope you have peaceful reunion with them.

babygirl...

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Good Luck I hope everything goes great

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Wow...this is sad and at the same time exciting that they will see you at all. They are pretty up there to be making any changes in their lives tho it has happened in my experience with people. I think if something was to happen to dad, mom would have no qualms about keeping in regular contact with you. Mothers typically grieve the loss of their children to the Watchtowers control over them. It would kill me not to see my children. :( Mom fears DADS reprisals more than Jehovahs in this...she didnt say she would have to ask the elders or consult the bound volumes...she said she would have to ask DAD to see if it was ok, and in my opinion that speaks volumes about the heaviness of heart with which the sheep follow the dictates of the society towards shunning their own.

Dont be eager to pass your book off to them yet honey. I dont think this is the "last" time mom will see you. And if it is not, then giving them that tome no matter how mildly and well written, may in fact SEAL them not ever seeing you again you know?

And that would kill your momma. :(

We will be anxious to hear how it goes.

LD

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

That is a great way you have dealt with everything.

I would only change one thing: instead of talking about not holding back from telling people what you THINK about the organization, talk about not holding back the FACTS of the organization's history, and any events that happened to you.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I hope your visit goes well, and that you're able to have a pleasant "non-JW related" conversation and visit.

I'm in a similar situation with my parents about the same age, fiercely loyal to the JW's, living hundreds of miles away, and not knowing if I'll ever see them again. We rarely talk.

The WTS is doing its share to promote "lack of love", under the guise of congregational purity. They're such Pharisees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit