JW at my sons school tonight

by Champion 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Champion
    Champion

My son goes to a very competitive and expensive private school in CT. There are two JW families that also go there. So tonight he had a Choir performance. One of the JWs is also in choir. She is a senior. At the end of the evenings performance before they sing the last song it is a school tradition to give all the seniors a gift and tell where they are going to college. So they start with a few kids and the schools are all top colleges(NYU, Colgate, Denison, Brown etc.). Well they get to the girl and the teacher hands her the gift and says she's taking a gap year(meaning taking a year off). My son comes up to me afterwards and says "can you believe that she's not going to college". He said why spend all the money and all the hard work to just stop. He doesn't really know her well, but the other witness girl is in his grade and a friend. He was so upset about the other girl that he said he is going to ask the girl in his grade why?? He said why work so hard for grades and college boards if your not going? He said also that the JW senior is really, really smart and makes high honors. What the hell is wrong with them!!!!

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

The borg will now get the benefit of all her hard work, and her parent's money.

Good question though. Why not just send her to public school?

momz

• dinah
    dinah

You mean to tell me there are people in CT with money who still buy into this crap? Don't they have the internet?

Anytime a bright child is talked out of college, an angel loses its wings.

• Champion
    Champion

And there are two kids in this family at the school. There is a younger brother..How bizarre..She is probably going to be a pioneer!!

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Sometimes I think it's twisted bragging rights.

"See?! Our son/daughter is very intelligent. He/She earned straight A's all through school. His/Her teachers were just crazy about him/her. They said he/she could attend any college of their choice! But, he/she has decided to do the right thing and become a FULL TIME PIONEER!'

[cue the whole congregation] "Oooo! Ahh! Wonderful! Such a fine example for other young ones!"

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

barf!

It's like you get extra points for excelling and then throwing it all away.

• nelly136
    nelly136

a jw kid in the choir?

i've seen many a jw throw away their education, but i can't say i saw many that joined a choir.

• Champion
    Champion

I wonder what the congregation thinks of the fact they go to a private school? We are also very near a kingdom hall that people from Patterson go to...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

More value destruction ahead.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Perhaps she is taking a year off to pioneer.....that seems to be the norm....

h40

• White Dove
    White Dove

If the parents have a lot of money, either they inherited it or they have college educations, themselves. I imagine that if the latter is true, she is taking only a year off to pioneer and then attend college the next year. I could not have gone straight to college after high school without a year to rest my mind. Sounds as if she was hitting the books awfully hard and probably needs a break. It's a common thing to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit