Puke email alert: 'encouraging news' from GB

by Robert7 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Layla33
    Layla33
    He said we have to have faith and don't be afraid. See how Jehovah will come to our aid. Wait on Jehovah. That wonderful scriptures at isa. 41:10 do not gaze about for I am your god, I will fortify you. I will really help you. Never allow an un expected incident, including job loss, to paralyze you. Do everything you can, and then leave the rest in Jehovah’s hands.

I have heard that redundant nonsense since I was a child. Does a light switch ever go off when they keep repeating this over and over and over again? It's nonsense and complete and total garbage.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Uhh, the circumstances in which Moses fled Egypt are a little different than that. He had nothing because he was trying to escape murder charges.

• Amy10606
    Amy10606

What about all those wonderful stories we heard at conventions about money flying into a pioneers window? I could use some cash from angels hanging around outside my house... oh wait, I'm not worthy enough.

Do all the stories about modern day mini-miracles bother anyone else as much as me? Like the people that take every coincidence and turn in into proof that god was with them. What about my mother-in-law that was a pioneer dying in a car crash on her way home from a day of field service and kingdom hall yard work? Hey god, you missed one, if only you hadn't been blowing that 20 into that other sisters window. crap.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

lowered expectations...how low will you go. Will you be homeless so you can pioneer? Rent is a useless expense anyway. Dumpster diving can be really healthy - you know they throw away all the healthy stuff and people buy the crap. A raw food diet is better for you anyway, no need for a kitchen. Pay for your car and insurance, and join a gym for showers. Sleep in your car in the KH parking lot so you are the first one there for field service meetings.

• sspo
    sspo

They're treating the brothers like brainless idiots, talking about gas too high and losing jobs and eliminating a meeting because of it.

This is nothing new , it's a cycle and eventually things will turn around.

Those idiots atbethel are lying so bad to the RF, if they are so concerned why dont they show concern to pioneers by lowering hours or just not go from door to door all together. This is where the money is spent on gas, not by going to meetings.

• iceguy
    iceguy

Seems to me that if gas gets that expensive in the US nobody will be going out in service anyways...nor will they be putting money in the contribution boxes.

• curlymoses
    curlymoses

Amy in IL I'm with you. I want to say "confirmation hypothesis" is the term... a psych. prof. used way back in a class I took - a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. Life is filled with endless challenges, in my experience. Blessings and curses are the last thing I'm thinking about when I'm in the thick of things. My mom lost 2 dear friends to cancer and goes ballistic with the "mini-miracles" reasoning. Knowledge is power and to me the GB looks weaker in this Information Age. The cost of living - going up in price. The cost of information - going down in price. Thanks for the info.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder what would happen if we elected a good president that was going to do whatever it took to allow science and the free markets to do their jobs. I could see gas prices plummeting to about 10 cents a gallon, or lower, with a zillion competing technologies popping up out of nowhere. I can see jobs coming up out of nowhere, and its taking half an hour and a home computer to start a home business that has a 98% chance of making you a billionaire (not a scam, either) within a month. People would find their new work fun, and get more kicks out of that than out of the crimes that happen nowadays.

I wonder what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger would do in that case.

• yknot
    yknot

Oct 5, 2005 pages 8-11

Jehovah

Will By No Means Leave You

CHRISTIANS in Judaea were experiencing vicious opposition, and they had to contend with the materialistic view of people around them. To encourage them, the apostle Paul quoted the words of Jehovah to the Israelites as they were entering the Promised Land. Paul wrote: "I will by no means leave you nor by any means forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5; Deuteronomy 31:6) This promise undoubtedly strengthened the first-century Hebrew Christians.

The same promise should fortify us to cope with anxieties that come from living in "critical times hard to deal with." (2 Timothy 3:1) If we trust in Jehovah and act accordingly, he will sustain us even in the most difficult circumstances. To see how Jehovah can act on this promise, let us consider the example of a sudden loss of one’s livelihood.

Facing

the Unexpected

The number of unemployed is growing worldwide. According to a Polish magazine, unemployment is considered to be "one of the most difficult socioeconomic problems." Industrialized nations are no exception. For example, even among the members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, by 2004 unemployment had "risen to above 32 million, reaching a higher level than during the Great Depression of the 1930’s." In Poland, the Central Statistical Office listed three million unemployed as of December 2003, which "constituted 18 percent of civilians of working age." One source said that the unemployment rate among the African population in South Africa reached 47.8 percent in 2002!

Sudden unemployment and unexpected layoffs are real threats to many, including Jehovah’s servants. "Time and unforeseen occurrence" befall anyone. (Ecclesiastes 9:11) We may find ourselves uttering the words of the psalmist David: "Distresses of my heart have multiplied." (Psalm 25:17) Would you be able to cope with such unfavorable circumstances? They could affect your emotional, spiritual, and material well-being. If unemployed, could you manage to get back on your feet?

Coping

With Emotional Strain

"The loss of employment hurts men more," since they are traditionally viewed as the breadwinner of the family, explains psychologist Janusz Wietrzynski. He said that it can start a man on "a roller coaster of emotions," from anger to resignation. A father who has been laid off may lose his self-esteem and start "quarreling with his family."

Adam, a Christian father of two, explains how he felt when he lost his job: "I easily became agitated; everything irritated me. Even at night my dreams were all about work and how to provide for my children and my wife, who had also been laid off unexpectedly." When Ryszard and Mariola, a married couple with a child, lost their means of income, they had a large, outstanding bank loan. The wife relates: "I was constantly troubled, my conscience telling me that it was a mistake to have taken out that loan. I kept thinking that it was all my fault." Faced with such situations, we may easily feel angry, anxious, or bitter, and our emotions can get the better of us. How, then, can we control the negative emotions that may well up in us?

The Bible gives effective advice on how to maintain a positive attitude. "Do not be anxious over anything," the apostle Paul admonished, "but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6, 7) Approaching Jehovah in prayer will give us "the peace of God," a calm state of mind based on our faith in him. Adam’s wife, Irena, says: "In our prayers, we told Jehovah about our situation and how we would simplify our lives even more. My husband, who has usually been quick to find reasons to be anxious, began to feel that a solution would present itself."

If you are faced with the unexpected loss of your job, you are in a good position to apply Jesus Christ’s admonition in the Sermon on the Mount: "Stop being anxious about your souls as to what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your bodies as to what you will wear. . . . Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you." (Matthew 6:25, 33) Ryszard and Mariola applied this counsel in coping with their emotions. "My husband always comforted me and emphasized that Jehovah would not abandon us," recalls Mariola. Her husband adds: "Through persistent prayers together, we have drawn closer to God and to each other, and that has provided the needed comfort."

God’s holy spirit will also help us to cope. Self-control, which the spirit can produce in us, can help us to keep ourselves and our feelings intact. (Galatians 5:22, 23) It may not be easy, but it is possible, for Jesus promised that "the Father in heaven [will] give holy spirit to those asking him."—Luke 11:13; 1 John 5:14, 15.

Do

Not Neglect Your Spiritual Needs

Unexpected dismissal from a job may at first unnerve even the most balanced Christian, but we should not neglect our spiritual needs. Take, for example, 40-year-old Moses, whose whole life changed when he lost his position within the aristocracy and had to become a shepherd, a job the Egyptians despised. (Genesis 46:34) Moses had to adjust to his new circumstances. For the following 40 years, he allowed Jehovah to mold and prepare him for new tasks ahead. (Exodus 2:11-22; Acts 7:29, 30; Hebrews 11:24-26) Despite facing difficulties, Moses was spiritually focused, willing to accept Jehovah’s training. May we never allow unfavorable circumstances to overshadow our spiritual values!

Although suddenly losing a job can be traumatic, that is a good time to strengthen our bonds with Jehovah God and his people. Adam, mentioned earlier, felt that way. He says: "When my wife and I both lost our jobs, the thought of staying away from Christian meetings or reducing our share in the evangelizing work never crossed our minds. That perspective protected us from becoming overly worried about tomorrow." Ryszard shares similar sentiments: "If it were not for the meetings and the ministry, we could never have coped; we would definitely have been eaten up by worry. Spiritual conversations with others are uplifting, for they turn our attention to their needs and away from our own."—Philippians 2:4.

Yes, instead of worrying about employment, try to use the extra time for spiritual activities, engaging in personal study, sharing in congregational activities, or expanding your ministry. Rather than living the life of the unemployed, you will have "plenty to do in the work of the Lord"—which will bring joy both to you and to any sincere individuals who respond to the Kingdom message you preach.—1 Corinthians 15:58.

Providing

for Your Family Materially

However, spiritual nourishment will not fill an empty stomach. We do well to keep in mind the following principle: "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." (1 Timothy 5:8) "Even though the brothers in the congregation are quick to respond to our physical needs," Adam admits, "as Christians, we have an obligation to work at searching for employment." We can count on Jehovah’s support and that of his people, but we should never forget that we need to take the initiative to find a job.

What initiative? "Do not wait with folded arms for God to act, hoping for a miracle," explains Adam. "When you are looking for work, do not hesitate to identify yourself as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Employers usually value that." Ryszard gives this advice: "Ask anyone you know about job opportunities, keep checking at the employment agency, read advertisements, such as: ‘Wanted, woman to care for a disabled person’; or, ‘Temporary employment: Strawberry picking.’ Keep on searching! Do not be too choosy, even if you have to do something menial or something that does not fulfill your ambitions."

Yes, "Jehovah is [your] helper." He will "by no means leave you nor by any means forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5, 6) You do not have to be overly anxious. The psalmist David wrote: "Roll upon Jehovah your way, and rely upon him, and he himself will act." (Psalm 37:5) ‘Rolling our way upon Jehovah’ means that we rely on him and do things his way, even when circumstances may not look favorable to us.

Adam and Irena managed to support themselves by window washing and stairwell cleaning and by being thrifty when purchasing things. They also visited the employment agency regularly. "Help always came just when we needed it," notes Irena. Her husband adds: "Time has shown that the matters we brought up in our prayers were not necessarily in line with God’s will. This has taught us to rely on his wisdom and not to act according to our own understanding. It is better to wait calmly for the solution God will provide."—James 1:4.

Ryszard and Mariola took various odd jobs but at the same time became involved in witnessing in territories where the need was greater. "We got needed jobs right at the times when we had nothing left to eat," says Ryszard. "We refused well-paying jobs that would interfere with our theocratic responsibilities. We preferred to wait on Jehovah." They believe that Jehovah maneuvered matters so that they were able to rent a flat very cheaply and Ryszard finally found a job.

Losing one’s livelihood can be very painful, but why not view it as an opportunity to see for yourself that Jehovah will never forsake you? Jehovah looks after you. (1 Peter 5:6, 7) He has promised through the prophet Isaiah: "Do not gaze about, for I am your God. I will fortify you. I will really help you." (Isaiah 41:10) Never allow an unexpected incident, including job loss, to paralyze you. Do everything you can, and then leave the rest in Jehovah’s hands. Wait on Jehovah, "even silently." (Lamentations 3:26) Rich blessings will be yours.—Jeremiah 17:7.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

In Norway, we pay more than 10 dollars a gallon already... Some say the prize will increase another 20 per cent in a few weeks...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit