Book cover poll (The Spanking Room)

by WilliamCoburn 28 Replies latest jw friends

• WilliamCoburn
    WilliamCoburn

a lot... every meeting I went to until I was 10. Book excerpt: It was sometime after my tenth birthday—which, naturally my mother did not celebrate—when I finally heard the words I’d longed to hear for six long years: “Billy,” my mother told me, “I’m so proud of you.” She was beaming at me. “Do you realize that you finally made it through a meeting without having to be spanked?” Yes, that’s right. It took six years of beatings, but I was finally able to pay sufficient attention during a Jehovah’s Witness meeting that she did not have to take me to the Spanking Room.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Cover #1, definitely.

I know I didn't get beat as much as some of you, but I still remember my dad telling me that God might start Armageddon tomorrow and that he'd be looking out for disobedient little boys first...

Maybe that was, over a decade ago, the first time I wondered what the hell was wrong with my religion.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Cover # 1

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

My spanking room was my parents' bedroom. I had to pick out the belt - but it better the right one, the thin long one that raised welts.

Cover 1 grabs the child's point of view. Cover 2 looks more like a voyeur to me.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

OOPS William, i just went back and read your first Topic here and see that you explained why you called the book the Spanking Room.

Here are the results so far on my Spanking Room polls (posted on 8 sites) Out of 126 votes 9 (10) people said their Kingdom Hall had a “Spanking Room”. Let me start by saying that I was in no way implying that the Jehovah’s Witnesses are the only religion that may have gone overboard with discipline to the point of child abuse. It was the 1970’s. I am NOT anti spanking but I believe it must be used “almost never” so when it is needed it is effective. Example: the one time I spanked my 4 year old was the second time he ran into the road with stopping or looking. So WHY am I gathering this information: I wrote a book about growing up a one-parent Jehovah’s Witness. The title of the book is THE SPANKING ROOM: A Child’s Eye View of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. The reason for the title is simple: the first thing that pops into my mind when the religion is mentioned is the Spanking Room. So, it was very important for me to find out if my Kingdom Hall was the only one to ever have a Spanking Room. While it is very possible all 9 people who voted YES were from my Hall the written posts indicated that at least 2 other Halls had “Spanking Rooms”.
  • nelly136
    nelly136

This book ROCKS!!!!!!

I got my copy this morning and couldn't put it down till it was finished,

Absolutely Brilliant!

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

Cover number 1 is the most powerful to your topic to me...

• nelly136
    nelly136

i'm betting quite a few here would see a little of themselves in the pages.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I like cover #1. It gets your attention.

Did you grow up with a JW mother and non-JW father also? My childhood/adolescence were the saddest years of my life because of this.

I hated how my mother used me and tried to get me to hate my father.

I also hated how my father didn't have the chutzpah to stand up to my mother when she obviously went overboard with her fanaticism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit