Hello everyone! New here. Born into it....ugh.

by Lady Zombie 52 Replies latest jw friends

• marmot
    marmot

Hi there and welcome. Do you still go to the same congregation as your parents?

If so, just switch congregations and do a fade. Take some night courses that "accidentally" interfere with meetings and bam, you're out!

You might get the odd shepherding call but if you purposefully make yourself appear a bit anti-social and depressed at the new congregation and don't make much of an impression on the new elders you'll drop off the radar real fast.

Kudos on the open mind, BTW. Evolution rocks!

(Wow, re-reading my post and putting myself into a JW mindset, I come across as Satan incarnate. All that's left is for me to coerce you into using drugs and having illicit sex on top of a ouija board while listening to rap.)

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome LZ

• Twitch
    Twitch

Welcome !

Nice avatar,.....Kubrick would be proud.

Sagan is the man! :)

• llbh
    llbh

Hello and welcome.

JWD has helped alot of people - myself included.

Try not to worry about your parents too much and do enjoy your life that is what it is for

David

• Quandry
    Quandry

Just wanted to add my welcome to the forum....hope to hear more from you.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

No, I don't live at home. But nonetheless, I still feel that because I'm an only child and live in the same town, go to the same congregation, etc., that the Elders would look unfavorably on my father. It's that whole unspoken rules thing the JWs have got going. You know what I mean.

Sure they would say he wasn't responsible, but you and I both know that the Elders would suddenly start treating him differently if his only offspring turned out to be an agnostic Humanist with a college education

Speaking of. Although the Society couldn't outright forbid me to go to college, my father received a ton of flak for allowing me to go. And this was way before he decided to seek becoming an Elder.

The JWs are Orwellian in nature. If you've read 1984, you know what I mean.

In 1984, party members were technically free to do anything they wished, but in reality, they weren't. Anything other than Party interests were thoughtcrime.

Hence why I believe my father's chances in becoming an elder would be ruined if I ever came out of the closet.

Know what I mean?

• llbh
    llbh
    The JWs are Orwellian in nature. If you've read 1984, you know what I mean.

I do know and often call my JW wife the thought police - she does not like that too much.

David

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Welcome, Lady Zombie. Enjoyed your first post, looking forward to more.

• marmot
    marmot

The fact that your dad allowed you to go to college is interesting.

My grandfather absolutely forbade my uncle from going to college and pushed the issue so far that my uncle disassociated and was shunned to the fullest extent possible. My grandparents have only met his children once, at the funeral for my great-grandmother, and they refused to go to his wedding.

All this because of higher education.

• chickpea
    chickpea

welcome to the board lady zombie.... quite the story you have!

as another poster suggested, a gradual fade, even from your father's congregation, might be a way to eventually extricate yourself while allowing him to slave for the Slave..... missing a few meetings a month for a while will make it seem usual that sometimes you are missing..... maybe a night class on a meeting night?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit