Dispelling JW Myths: Great Crowd on Earth

by AuldSoul 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

In Revelation 7:15, the NWT says that a great crowd who had just come out of the great tribulation would be rendering sacred service to God "day and night in his temple."

In the book, Revelation—Its Grand Climax At Hand!, the explanation of this verse is given as follows:

This temple does not refer to the inner sanctuary, the Most Holy. Rather, it is the earthly courtyard of God’s spiritual temple. The Greek word naos, here translated “temple,” often conveys the broad sense of the entire edifice erected for Jehovah’s worship. Today, this is a spiritual structure that embraces both heaven and earth.

Here is the text as it appears in context in the 2005 Watchtower Library CD-ROM English:

alt

I thought it would be helpful to show all the instances of naos in Revelation so that a fair determination could be made about how this word is used in Revelation.

Revelation 3:12 “‘The one that conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out [from it] anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from my God, and that new name of mine.

Revelation 7:15 That is why they are before the throne of God; and they are rendering him sacred service day and night in his temple; and the One seated on the throne will spread his tent over them.

Revelation 11:1-2 And a reed like a rod was given me as he said:“Get up and measure the temple [sanctuary] of God and the altar and those worshiping in it. But as for the courtyard that is outside the temple [sanctuary], cast it clear out and do not measure it, because it has been given to the nations, and they will trample the holy city underfoot for forty-two months.

Revelation 11:19 And the temple [sanctuary] of God that is in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen in his temple [sanctuary]. And there occurred lightnings and voices and thunders and an earthquake and a great hail.

Revelation 14:15-17 And another angel emerged from the temple [sanctuary], crying with a loud voice to the one seated on the cloud:“Put your sickle in and reap, because the hour has come to reap, for the harvest of the earth is thoroughly ripe.” And the one seated on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth, and the earth was reaped. And still another angel emerged from the temple [sanctuary] that is in heaven, he, too, having a sharp sickle.

Revelation 15:5-6 And after these things I saw, and the sanctuary of the tent of the witness was opened in heaven, and the seven angels with the seven plagues emerged from the sanctuary, clothed with clean, bright linen and girded about their breasts with golden girdles.

Revelation 15:8 And the sanctuary became filled with smoke because of the glory of God and because of his power, and no one was able to enter into the sanctuary until the seven plagues of the seven angels were finished.

Revelation 16:1 And I heard a loud voice out of the sanctuary say to the seven angels:“Go and pour out the seven bowls of the anger of God into the earth.”

Revelation 16:17 And the seventh one poured out his bowl upon the air. At this a loud voice issued out of the sanctuary from the throne, saying:“It has come to pass!”

Revelation 21:22 And I did not see a temple in it, for Jehovah God the Almighty is its temple, also the Lamb [is].

Is it even possible, given the use of "aule" for courtyard at Revelation 11:1, 2, for anyone to imagine the courtyard would contain valuable and faithful worshippers of God? The text of Revelation 11:1, 2 plainly situates the courtyard as outside the naos or 'temple'. Why does the Governing Body explanation of Revelation 7:15 place the courtyard inside the naos?

It is clear that the Bible teaches the "great crowd" will be rendering sacred servce day and night in the heavenly temple. When Jehovah's Witnesses teach that the great crowd of Revelation 7:9-17 will be located on earth, they are teaching a myth.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Where Is The Great Crowd Serving God?

http://www.xjw.com/where.html

N.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Wow. Nicely done.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    It is clear that the Bible teaches the "great crowd" will be rendering sacred servce day and night in the heavenly temple. When Jehovah's Witnesses teach that the great crowd of Revelation 7:9-17 will be located on earth, they are teaching a myth.

YUP !

I did some Revelation Climax reviews - as a result of chapter 20 as you highlighted. I did chapter 21 & chapter 29. Between the 2 of us we could have a commentary on the entire Revelation book!
    Check out my threads if you like... thanks for your research on Naos, it is great. I remember having this chapter done at the KH cause the CO was in town. I wanted to say something so bad about Naos but couldnt get the courage. Had I known what you just printed - I definitely still would NOT have commented!!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/142491/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/150919/1.ashx

Still.........

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi AuldSoul

Unfortunately, the 'new improved' Revelation Climax book forgot to incorporate the latest (2002) thinking on naos and where the 'great crowd' is serving (they 'really are in the temple' after all). See w. 2002 May 1, p.30,31.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/120789/1.ashx

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Atlantis: I never saw that site before. It is a lot more detailed than my exposé in brief, but the results are the same. Thanks. I had no idea there was such an intentional and extensive coverup on this matter.

MissingLink: Thanks!

still_in74: Those are very passionate treatments of the idiocy they promoted (again!) during this past year. Thanks for doing those, and for sharing them here.

AnnOMaly: I think that was the whole point, Ann. They are saying that the Great Crowd renders sacred service day and night in the temple (naos); but they say that the naos can include the courtyard (the earth, in their interpretive view), which is the part of the naos where the Great Crowd worships. The courtyard cannot be part of the naos. Never. Not anywhere in the Greek Scriptures.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That is the simplest explanation I have seen, well done.

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

I think that would be a great idea, having you people do a commentary on the entire book of Revelation.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    I think that was the whole point, Ann. They are saying that the Great Crowd renders sacred service day and night in the temple (naos); but they say that the naos can include the courtyard (the earth, in their interpretive view), which is the part of the naos where the Great Crowd worships. The courtyard cannot be part of the naos. Never. Not anywhere in the Greek Scriptures.

The 2002 QFR says:

"In contrast, the Greek word (na.os') translated "temple" in John’s vision of the great crowd is more specific. In the context of the Jerusalem temple, it usually refers to the Holy of Holies, the temple building, or the temple precincts. It is sometimes rendered "sanctuary."—Matthew 27:5, 51; Luke 1:9, 21; John 2:20.

Members of the great crowd exercise faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice. They are spiritually clean, having "washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." Hence, they are declared righteous with a view to becoming friends of God and of surviving the great tribulation. (James 2:23, 25) In many ways, they are like proselytes in Israel who submitted to the Law covenant and worshiped along with the Israelites.

Of course, those proselytes did not serve in the inner courtyard, where the priests performed their duties. And members of the great crowd are not in the inner courtyard of Jehovah’s great spiritual temple, which courtyard represents the condition of perfect, righteous human sonship of the members of Jehovah’s "holy priesthood" while they are on earth. (1 Peter 2:5) But as the heavenly elder said to John, the great crowd really is in the temple, not outside the temple area in a kind of spiritual Court of the Gentiles."

Again, the Revelation Climax book was written before this change and despite the dozens of recent updates, they didn't include this one - it perpetuates the old idea. Certainly, the newer idea is a step back in the right direction. Curiously, it says that the inner courtyard represents the perfect, righteous standing of the 'anointed' while they are on earth but it doesn't comment on where the 'great crowd' is. The implication (to me) is that the 'great crowd' and 'anointed' share a righteous standing with God (although it differs in degree) while both groups are on earth, and this is represented by the inner courtyard (in the case of the 'anointed') and some undisclosed courtyard still within the temple sanctuary (in the case of the 'great crowd').

But you are absolutely right in saying that naos in Revelation is consistently applied to heaven. To keep with the symbols and terminology used for the 'great crowd' scene, it is clear John sees them in heaven. It takes a whole load of specious reasoning to argue otherwise.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Good research. It is troubling to me that there is more bible discussion on here than there is amongst the average group of JW's.

Mickey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit