Can being gay live in harmony with being a christian?

by digderidoo 70 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I have looked at the thread about gay marriages in California and thought about asking this question there, but instead of hi-jacking that one i thought i would ask it here. There seems to be quite a few gay people on this site and i wonder how many class themselves as Christian? If so, can being gay live in harmony with being a Christian?

I am sure that many have been in a turmoil realising they were gay and being a JW, but in or out of the WBTS the bible does say that a man should not lie with a man. So how is this reconciled by Christians who are gay?

I would be quite interested to hear viewpoints on this as i have often wondered how the two can live together when i have come across gay christians.

Could i also say that i am not coming from an anti-gay point of view on this, nor a Christian point of view. I am just curious how the two sit together.

Paul

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I guess a Gay Christian will only get to know the answer to that on the day he is judged by Christ. This answer is too simple to for a lot of folks on this board.... so let the discussion begin.

Hill

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This is a valid question.

I believe the answer is yes.

We are all called to receive a divine gift, to become children of God, which is a gift given by God's grace. However in order to receive this gift we must reject sin. Sin includes homosexual behavior. That said, homosexual desires are not sin in and of themselves. As fallen creatures we are subject to many different sinful desires. We have little control over this aspect of our nature. It is what we choose to do regarding these desires that is sinful or not. If we act out or encourage our sinful desires then we are committing sin.

BTS

• scotsman
    scotsman

in the same way that cohabiting unmarried heterosexual Christians reconcile their life with scripture... very few christians I know take the Bible literally or accept all it's edicts. I guess gay Christians just ignore or reinterpret the few scriptures that appear to discriminate against them.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I believe the answer is yes.

We are all called to receive a divine gift, to become children of God, which is a gift given by God's grace. However in order to receive this gift we must reject sin. Sin includes homosexual behavior. That said, homosexual desires are not sin in and of themselves. As fallen creatures we are subject to many different sinful desires. We have little control over this aspect of our nature. It is what we choose to do regarding these desires that is sinful or not. If we act out or encourage our sinful desires then we are committing sin.

So your therefore saying BTS that it's okay to be gay as long as you don't act upon it? I can't see how someone who is gay can live a christian life like that. If that's the way you are then why should it be wrong to act upon it. I think God would be a cruel god to create this aspect to some people's nature and then not allow them to act upon it.

I guess gay Christians just ignore or reinterpret the few scriptures that appear to discriminate against them.

I don't think this should be an option for any christian, gay or heterosexual. Either you accept scripture in it's entirety or you don't. How can some scripture be divine and others not?

Paul

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I know quite a number of gay Chrisitans. Everyone of them is a fine person. Mother Val is the most spiritual person I know and the most amazing priest I have known. She is gay. Julian's godmothers are gay. No one would know if they didn't tell. They are ordinary people with a deep love for God and the Anglican Catholic or Episcopal way of worship. Our former music director and his partner Ron. They were a couple of many years and both are ordained ministers. They are the kindest, most thoughtful, loving people. I had many long conversations with Ron, a hospice nurse.

St. Mark's flies the Rainbow coilition flag outfront. They truly mean, "The Episcopal Church" welcomes you. They often have gay couples who visit. As I pointed out on another thread, Jesus did not mention homosexuality. If it was extremely important to him, he would have mentioned it.

When he came across the Samaratin woman at the well, he did not scold her for living with a man who wasn't her husband. Jesus was about showing kindness and mercy. Yes, he did stand up to those who spoke in the name of God but did evil to their brothers and sisters.But he never stood up and said anything to gays.

• scotsman
    scotsman
    don't think this should be an option for any christian, gay or heterasexual. Either you accept scripture in it's entirety or you don't. How can some scripture be divine and others not?

Paul, you need to meet more Christians, they're not all so fundementalist. The Christians I'm thinking of would argue that the scriptures reflect their times, and they are no longer obliged to avoid shellfish or silence women. While JWs and a good number of contributors to the board take the bible literally, it's not quite so in the big wide world.

You said you didn't have an agenda but your statement provides a very narrow definition of Christian.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    I know quite a number of gay Chrisitans. Everyone of them is a fine person

I am not disputing the love or kindness found amongst any christian, this really detracts from what i am asking. I just cannot see how the two can sit side by side.

Paul

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So your therefore saying BTS that it's okay to be gay as long as you don't act upon it? I can't see how someone who is gay can live a christian life like that. If that's the way you are then why should it be wrong to act upon it. I think God would be a cruel god to create this aspect to some people's nature and then not allow them to act upon it.

It's understandable how you wouldn't be able to see how a "gay" could live a Christian life because you don't "get" Christianity.

My own nature makes me want to do certain things that are wrong. God is being cruel in restricting me?

God did not create this aspect of my nature.

Many with a same sex orientation have found that through Grace they can live holy lives.

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

BTS

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

You said you didn't have an agenda but your statement provides a very narrow definition of Christian.

I don't have an agenda because i am not a christian, nor anti-gay like some here. Maybe it's the JW upbringing that everything has to be accepted in the bible, which means i do have a narrow definition of Christian and i take that on board. The definition of being a christian to me, i thought would have been to accept everything that's written in scripture and not just to discard what doesn't agree with your viewpoint.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit