Blood Transfusions

by Wordly Andre 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

How many on this board has had to have one? If you did were you still a member in good standing? If you were now faced with a situation would you have one for you or your wife and kids? About 6 years ago while traveling in Spain I had to have an emergency operation I had to have a blood transfusion, although I was never asked if I wanted one or even know before hand, it saved my life. When asked by my JW family if I had to have one I said yes or else I wouldn't be here today.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I needed several, yet was the good little witness and refused. I was told I wouldn't survive surgery without blood. Thanks to my surgeon's skill, and other MD's brought in, I survived.

I would most definately have one, and let my kids.

momz

• PEC
    PEC

I haven't needed one yet. I will trust my doctors, over the senile old men in Brooklyn anyday.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I ripped up my blood (aka I prefer to die) card within about a week of learning the truth about JWs.

Not that I want blood, but I'd rather accept than die.

A@G

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I haven't needed one but it still concerns me just a little. Not for religious reasons but for medical.

Here is a repost of a thread I started back in 2005:

I think that rather than being completely anti-blood or completely accepting of doctor's decisions it is much better to remain guarded with regard to blood transfusions.

Although I recently rescinded my No Blood AMD, I want to find a way to document that although I will accept blood, my preference is to first work with plasma expanders and the like.

Today a friend of mine died. About a month ago she was given a blood transfusion as part of treatment for internal bleeding following gastric bypass surgery. Following the transfusion, she had grand mal seizure that was difficult to control and subsequently went into a coma. She was comatose for 4 weeks and today her family made the decision to terminate life support. She died at 7:10 this evening.

I don't know if there was any alternative to blood but I'm still a little leary about whether or not blood is viewed as a 'quick fix' with some surgeons...

Back in the 70's, the young son of a single mom in my congregation was given blood after he stopped breathing. Baby-sitter revived him and got him to hospital where transfusion was given. Child died from Circulatory Overload.

I know that blood has saved many people's lives but I not inclined to believe that is completely harmless, either.

My own experiences are that treatment was more carefully thought-out when blood was *not* an option.

About 10 years ago, my brother was seriously injured and had lost enough blood for him to lose consciousness. He was alert enough to write 'no blood' on his consent forms in the ambulance. First doctor in the ER (very experienced) decided that he couldn't be bothered with the 'no blood' directive and passed the case on to the newbie doctor. This doctor had spent several years in south-central LA and was highly experienced with gang-related injuries and extreme blood loss. Brother healed extremely well and was home 3 days later.

My biopsy in 1998 was supposed to be a little tricky. Medial-stenoscopy would involve an incision at the base of my neck and then down to my heart to take some snippets of a tumor. There was risk of clipping necessary tissue in this area of 'high-priced real estate' and doctor assured me that blood would be on hand in the ER. At the time, I was still in my walk-away believer state and said that I did not want blood - in any form. After making sure that I was resolute, surgeon re-assessed me and decided to check my neck again. Seemed to have some smaller tumors there and he felt he could get sufficient sampling from my neck. Surgery was successful and I went home the next day.

These are just 2 stories where things went terribly wrong with blood and two stories where things went much better without blood. I know there are many, many examples that are not so dramatic but these are the ones closest to me right now.

I know that sometimes blood complicates things and I wonder if sometimes we are too quick to give doctors carte blanch since changing our personal views on blood.

I believe that treatment may sometimes be better without.

I think what it comes down to is that medical treatment should be taken seriously and it is each person's responsibility to be actively involved in their own treatment. Be informed and work with your doctors, not against them.

And while we are on the subject, remember to rescind any AMD's that may be out there. Also change/update any documentation about JW status that might exist on hospital admit records.

That was a whole other nightmare for me when I very likely needed blood - and wanted it if necessary - but the hospital just couldn't update my records properly.

Check and Double-Check.

-Aude.

• yknot
    yknot

According to the present and past blood doctrine I have had 4 transfusions.

When blood leaves your body in an uncirculated state and is transfused back into your blood stream you have violated the last vestiges of Clayton Woodworth.

Every JW who has received an IV has had a blood transfusion since the blood leaves your body and enters the needle/catheter chamber once in the vein (red) or artery (brownish red). This is called a 'flash' the blood then flows back into the body with depression of syringe filled with saline.

When I started declining the "no-blood" cards the Elders were concerned but only 2 inquired since I tend to go overboard with evidence. I showed the 2 an IV training video where the instructor talks & demonstates the flash of blood heavily. I then presented them with Bulgarian documentation and reminded them of the organ transplant debacle. Neither of them personally believe in the blood doctrine anymore.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

If I had been a good little dub I would be dead right now and haunting the kingdumb halls, I honestly do not think twice about having it, it was needed to save my life the doctors did their job

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

had one, was a member in good standing and would have one again for myself and wife and children, don't let a publishing company be your doctor, they haven't been trained, no matter how sincere the HLC may be, they aren't Dr.s

• jwblog
    jwblog
    How many on this board has had to have one? If you did were you still a member in good standing? If you were now faced with a situation would you have one for you or your wife and kids? About 6 years ago while traveling in Spain I had to have an emergency operation I had to have a blood transfusion, although I was never asked if I wanted one or even know before hand, it saved my life. When asked by my JW family if I had to have one I said yes or else I wouldn't be here today.

I have had a blood transfusion and thought about not taking one but could not prove that God condemed it. The bible says do not eat the blood but was it not in reference to eating animals blood? Are they not going beyond what is written and putting unnecessary and harmful if not fatal requirements on the people in the congregation?

Jesus Christ died once and for all; for our sins, therefore no one else has to die. The death in sacrifice will be noticed by God for those that thought it to be law and their faith will be rewarded, however your Heavenly Father prefers that you preserve yourselves alive. Death brings to much pain and agony on the person, as well as those that are surviving. No one wants their loved ones to die so by all means accept the blood and continue living.
  • Amy10606
    Amy10606

When I was 16, my very good friend "B" got very sick and was hopitalized. At the time he was not attending the meetings and hadn't been for over a year. He has bleeding internally from a tear in his intestines. He became unconcious and that left his mother to make his medical decisions. He died on the operating table because she said no blood, absolutely not. He wasn't able to even make his own decision, he didn't have a no blood card and was not an active witness. I remember having a conversation with him about how he threw his no blood card away. He was 19.

At his memorial talk, the elder giving the talk wouldn't stop talking about how we should look at his example, because he 'was fathful to the end!' and that we can all learn from him. I did learn, but not about being faithful to an organization, but about being faithful to ourselves, and what we truely believe is right or wrong in our hearts. I got up and left in the middle of the talk, and cried bitterly, not for my loss of a friend, but for his loss of his own voice. If his mother hadn't stepped in, there would not have been a second thought about giving him blood. He was not a minor, and there was no documentation that he didn't want blood. Well there was, but he threw it away.

-Amy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit