I'm lucky to have my wife

by 10p 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• 10p
    10p

We had a death in the family on the weekend ... not someone I was really close to, but someone one of my immediate family members was very close to ... anyway, it made me think that I needed to pluck up the courage and talk to my wife about blood transfusions. (the death was unrelated to xfusions, btw)

So I said to my wife I really wanted to talk to her about transfusions, in a calm manner. And I reassured her again that I wasn't trying to apostasize to her or anything, but I was concerned because I wouldn't want it to all of a sudden become an issue if one of our children was in an accident.

I related how the elders in Jerusalem said to keep from things sacrificed to idols, things strangled, blood and fornication. But then how Paul made it clear in Corinthians that eating things sacrificed to idols was not wrong in itself, and that a person should avoid stumbling others, or even their own conscience. I also compared the statement "if your doctor said you shouldn't drink coffee, would you inject it in your veins" and said that a more accurate comparison would be "if your doctor said dont eat meat, would you have a kidney transplant" (thanks www.jwfacts.com for the clear reasoning on this matter) because blood transfusion is actually a liquid organ transplant - what enter your blood when you eat blood is broken down proteins and amino acids, whereas a transfusion puts whole, working cells into your veins.

I said, of course, I would want the doctors to use whatever alternatives they could, and use blood only as a last resort (which should be universal blood policy anyway, as far as I'm concerned). But if it really was a matter of life or death, I would want my children to have the transfusion, and I wouldn't want it to rip our marriage apart.

Well, she was totally cool with it all. She saw the reasoning ... and I said in the end "hey, if it was a life or death situation, I would fornicate if I had to, to save someones life. Then I would apologize afterwards and ask God's forgiveness. and I would treat blood the same way. and in any case, letting someone die by refusing a transfusion shows a weird understanding of the sacredness of life! I wouldn't work in factory that turned cows blood into cosmetics or fuel, because that is showing disrespect for blood - but trying to save people from dying through transfusions is showing great respect for life. after all, eternal life is NOT in the blood - it is the physical life of fleshly organisms that is 'in the blood', so surely it is misguided to let someone die out of respect for life?!?!

But it went real well and she is such a level headed woman anyway. I love her.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Very well done!

momz

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

Your wife is awesome! Lucky you!

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I liked your post and I'm happy for your wife... your last statement threw me for a loop though...

"hey, if it was a life or death situation, I would fornicate if I had to, to save someones life.

I'm not sure how you might save someones life through fornication, but it seems like an interesting concept. It does seem to be very self-sacrificing.

A@G

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Hey I could use some of those life or death situations....

Isaac

• Casper
    Casper
    But it went real well and she is such a level headed woman anyway. I love her.

Great job of reasoning. So happy for you...!!!

Cas

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is great for you. Good going.

And only women are ever told to fornicate with a man to save their
    husband's life. It ain't ever the other way around, unless the woman
    making the demand looks like this one:

alt

The one on the left. Never the others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest