Photographs of old witness friends and Witness events. Do what with them?

by Thechickennest 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

Not trying to hijack this thread, but three weeks ago we received an envelope in the mail with no return address. Inside were our JW wedding photos with an unsigned note: "Memories of friends are fading fast." I figure they did me a favor by giving me more wedding pictures, but I still hate that they acted so cowardly. I would keep your pictures, as it was a chapter in your life history.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Those photographs are YOUR memories. Destroying them would be like lobotomizing yourself.

By the way, I sell a do-it-to-yourself lobotomy kit if you are interested.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

For me it still hurts to look at all of my old friends. But I will never get rid of the photos. As mentioned I had a life there. It is what it is. Plus I don't want my daughter to see me slipping into extreme ways of behaving. My care for my former friends shows up how unloving that religion makes its members.

Isaac

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If they're taking up too much room you can scan them into your computer and dump the originals, or not - whatever you please. Then, you can save a second copy of pictures that include people you don't like. Use your creative energies to Photoshop them as you please.

W

• Ima Apostate
    Ima Apostate

Not to hijack this post, but I'm suprised so many people pine for their old JW friends. Mine were so lame, really. You could never discuss really interesting things. When I hang out with my JW cousin, we don't talk about politics, sex, religion...any of the things I enjoy talking about. Also, they have very limited hobbies, oftentimes don't listen to very good music, watch few movies I'm interested in, don't do any volunteer work...

Worldly friends are awesome!

My parents have all my photos from the JW years. I will inherit them one day. I'll keep them, when I do, to remember that weird time in my life.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Sell them on Ebay

• alamb
  • Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. It has been enlightening to read your thoughts and ideas.

In 2001 we moved out of a second floor apartment with a terrace. I moved the garbage dumpster from the parking garage under the terrace. I launched a 30 year collection of JW printed matter over the edge of the terrace down in to the dumpster! It must of weighed a ton. It was really a liberating feeling. If the photos had been available at that moment they would have went out with the bound volumes, books, pamplets, etc. I am glad that did'nt happen.

The photos are basically harmless and they picture mostly friends, some family and other benign events. From all of your comments from this thread, I am going to do this:

I will separate them into a separate album and pull it out from time to time when I feel like I need a reminder of where I do not want to be anymore. Also, I will look at the people pictured and hope that some of the people in the pictures will find thier way out of the cult as my family did. As mentioned in your comments, there is no point to attempt a rewrite of history. It is what it is and there is no changing it.

Thank you!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Keep them. They will serve as a reminder why you never want to go back to being a witless. Just make sure you have a supply of puke bags or your puke bucket when you review them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit