CO Visit: Why Such A Big Deal?

by sacolton 15 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never could figure out why everyone wanted to go out in field circus every time the hounder-hounder showed up. The Kingdumb Hell was always packed as well. You got to listen to a talk that could often run late, and I have seen children being kept up past 11 PM because of the hounder-hounder's talk running long. For nothing.

• blondie
    blondie

For those wanting to be MS or elders, the CO visit is a large part of the process since he is part of the approval process. It was an opportunity for men to suck up to the CO and impress him with their "spirituality." The CO is also used by the WTS to evaluate and remove disobedient elders or elder bodies. He also can whip the elders into line per WTS directions. Some elders just blow the CO off but most at least give the semblance of obedience while he is there. Remember this is the CO opportunity to see what elders could be selected to give talks at the assemblies.

Blondie

• White Dove
    White Dove

Blondie,

I didn't know all of that, and I'm a born-in. Thanks for the info.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Blondie covered the reasons well. Any "brothers" who could advance a notch had to
    do so with the C.O.'s stamp of approval.

.....things they were suppose

to do. But they only did it when the CO visited. After he was gone, they went right back to their

regular slacking routine.

I always noticed that. I was a School Overseer for years, so I was early for the evening
    meeting. I generally unlocked the Hall, although a few faithfuls without the key would be
    waiting for me. During the C.O. week, I would arrive at the same time to find the Hall already
    open and the parking lot 2/3rds full.

I remember working for a brother when I was an MS (window washer/floor scrubber). Months
    in advance, I had planned to go to a different District Convention while visiting family on vacation.
    That way, I could work while he was at his DC. So the C.O. changes his schedule at nearly the
    last minute to come that same week. My boss says I can't go, he can't cover for me during that
    week because of the C.O. visit.

I don't tolerate his poor excuse. I told him my plans were set and I would not change them. It
    got so bad that I said I was going and would apply for unemployment upon my return if I was
    fired for taking my scheduled vacation. The boss backed down.

Apparently, he was trying to refrain from telling me that I was being considered for elder that week.
    He wanted me to be there for the C.O. to see me shining. Well, I wound up being appointed 6
    months later. Whatever.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

It's a big deal because it's supposed to be a big deal. As a believer, I couldn't help sensing it was a little shallow.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

If memory serves me there was a certain level of hype surrounding the CO visits, possibly because of the potential of him have more enlightening information

from HQ, the idea was that they had within themselves great spiritual strength and wisdom.

He certainly got treated like a king by are PO, he always stayed at his lavish house and got chaperoned by the PO's always brand new Cadillac.

You might say they were little kings in the kingdom of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit