When you were a Jw did you have a relationship with God?

by Fisherman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

Looking back I don't think I ever really did. Even as an elder, everything seemed so foreign to me.

I remember my grandmother praying out loud during an earthquake. I could never seem to find that place where I felt I was getting anywhere with it.

I do have a huge problem with authority figures betraying your trust. I think I never really trusted god.

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Before I was a JW, I had a great relationship with God. The longer I was in the cult, the demands on the relationship became so great, I lost sight of the forest for the trees so to speak. I don't like placing blame on anyone or anything since I was a willing participant for decades in the JW cult. Towards the end of my time in the cult, I harbored some resentment towards the men in charge of the cult as I began to step back and think more objectively about the teachings of the WT and the abuse of power by these men. After some serious grief and some healing time, I was then able to move on and make my relationship with God whole and clean again. To put it simply-my relationship with God was damaged by the WT and its cohorts.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Never had an experiential relationship with anything spiritual while in.

While out, yes - the meaning of what I experience shifts over time, but the relatoinship is alive.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Nope, but I wanted to. I never felt I was good enough... not trying hard enough or something.

Amen.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i had a deep rooted sense of spirituality that i brought "in" with me, and i pummeled it and strangled it and reshaped it to fit the mindset of the b0rg, or at least made heroic attempts to pigeonhole it... i am delighted to know it has survived all attempts to stifle it.....

• oompa
    oompa

Hail no!.....he will not hear the prayers when you spank the monkey.....so no relationship possible............oompa

just never really felt it.....and no prayers ever answered

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Not really, and what little I did have was all about begging for forgiveness, living in guilt and trying to barter my way.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I have said this before elsewhere but I spent years speaking to a God that never spoke back - How could I possibly have a relationship with him?

I now speak to more sociable Gods and Goddesses!

Gary

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I thought I did for most of my life.

The kindest thing He ever did for me was finally letting me know that He wasn't real.

Thanks, Big Guy!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

what a great post , I need some time to think about this, to compose my reply, but a huge question

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit