Sister orders me to cooperate with shunning

by bluesapphire 21 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Well, get ready to be shocked at the audacity!

We have family who came in from Costa Rica today. A cousin and his girlfriend. And then another cousin and her family are arriving on Monday. Lots of family plans are taking place.

So I'm at my sister's house with my brothers, sisters, mom, step-dad, nieces and nephews all waiting for my cousin to arrive. My JW sister was picking them up and bringing them over. She gets there and when she sees me, she immediately gets pissed off! (I mean obviously really pissed off because I am supposed to cooperate and not be there when she's going to be there ya know!) So I go over and I give her a kiss on the cheek. She is furious now -- especially after the Lion King fiasco.

Every room I am in, she goes into another room. She would not sit down to eat with everybody because I was sitting at the table. The whole time, she is in the living room. She abruptly decides to leave. Everybody acts as if nothing strange is going on. My family is too polite to mention anything.

About two hours go by and my mom comes into the room and says, "Your sister is on the phone. She is asking to talk to you." So I cheerfully say, "Hello." Word for word follows:

E: I just wanted to let you know that I did research about your joining another religion and I have to treat you like you're disfellowshipped. So tomorrow I'm taking our cousins to Disneyland and I just wanted you to let me know if you are planning on going because if you are, I wont go then.

Me: Well, I wasn't planning on going but if someone invites me I can't say that I wont go.

E: Well, I need to know when you're going to be somewhere so I can have my options of whether to go or not. (Keep in mind all the relatives coming. Basically, she wanted me to give her a schedule of what I was going to do with them so she could work around my schedule to shun me.)

Me: You always have your options but I don't cooperate with Watchtower rules.

E: I just want you to respect me and let me know when you're going to be somewhere.

Me: No. I can't do that. You want me to call you and TALK to you and tell you I'm going to be somewhere so you can then avoid going because I'm there. I don't think I can cooperate with that type of abuse. No. I'm Christian and that is not a Christian way to be. It is certainly not scriptural. I'm sorry. It would bother my conscience to follow such a rule. (Can you imagine? I'm so sure.... Hi, just letting you know I'll be at so-n-sos so you can shun me....GET REAL!)

E: Well, don't expect to be invited to anything I plan.

Me: Well, that's fine. However, if someone else in the family invites me, don't expect me not to go. Like I said, I don't follow Watchtower rules. You will always be my sister even if you wish I was dead. You will be sinning. I will not be sinning.

E: I didn't call to LISTEN to you. I called to ask you to give me the courtesy.....

Me: Sorry. Can't do that. Wont do that. The Watchtower breaks up families. You should read their media website where they lie and say that no family ties are broken....

HUNG UP ON ME!

Well, that's it folks! The nerve! The audacity! I was shaking. I was crying afterwards. It hurt really, really bad! But you know what. The whole family saw again. They are disgusted with the JW's. And the worst part about it is that she was talking to me when she could have simply asked one of them, "Is XXX going?" Why doesn't she explain to them that she is shunning me? Because she is a hypocrite and doesn't want to "stumble" them.

Well, she didn't guess the level that I would take my non-cooperation to. She's either going to have to let everyone know what she's doing at which time they will each tell her how disgusted they are. Or she's going to have to live with the fact that she's going to have to see me, I'm going to be polite, cheerful and loving towards her. I will not hang my head down low and I will always kiss her cheek like I always have.

Bite my ass, Watchtower! I don't follow YOUR RULES!!!!!

• nelly136
    nelly136

Way to go blue, sounds like shes given your relatives
    a great witness once again,
    my hats of to you for being soooo patient, that takes
    some strength of character to put up with kind of treatment.
    nelly

• OhHappyDay
    OhHappyDay

Blue, you had a really christian behavior.
    She'll know it one day.
    Keep walking!

Happy Day!

• COMF
    COMF

Honestly, this doesn't sound to me like it has anything to do with witness beliefs. It sounds like purely a case of a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum because she's not getting her way.

I'm sorry she hurt your feelings and brought you to tears. I think you handled the situation admirably, perfectly! Your answers showed that your dignity and self-worth exist independently of her estimation of you, and that she and the WBTS have no power over you.

When someone behaves as your sister did, it is because they are trying to prompt certain behavior. When they don't get that behavior, they're confused and feel out of control. This usually manifests in a display of anger and/or irrational speech or behavior. This is exactly what happened with sis. You gave her plenty to think about. I'm so proud of you!

COMF

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

My parents gave the best "witness" to all our friends and non-JW family. They decided right before my wedding, to a non-JW, not to attend. Meanwhile people had flown in from all over the U.S. Years later people still discuss how F*CKED up that religion is. They were worried about stumbling people in their congregation, and instead gave a great "witness" to over a 100 others.

closer

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day bluesapphire,

Don't feel too angry toward E, she's simply a victim. It's hard not to feel angry toward the likes of those with such conduct, but just stop and consider this: where should your anger be directed? Whos fault is it, anyway? Is it really your sister's fault? Sure she's acting badly, but why does she do it? Isn't she displaying the signs of someone who has no mind of her own? She's surrendered her will to an organisation; an imperfect one at that.

Feel sorry for her. At least you have the freedom to choose. She doesn't.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Blue,

I agree with AlanF totally - this is a spoiled, immature woman - with private issues.

E: I just want you to respect me and let me know when you're going to be somewhere.
    Sooooooo, she wants YOU to respect HER - but she wants to treat you like scum in private and public. Yeah, right.

You handled the situation with totally dignity. If you're capable of keeping it going (which I don't know if I could do) - you're giving a fine *witness* against the bigotry of jw's - particularily if your sister must act out her hatred in front of the whole family, instead of sneaking around behind them.

Congratulations on keeping your temper - and keeping your family!

waiting

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Hi Blue,

You did a great job, keep this up. Maybe you should mention that the WTS is a supporter of human rights and these ideals include the right of everyone to be treated with dignity. Is she treating you with dignity? Also, everyone has the right to their own religious belief and the right to change their belief. Perhaps you should throw an Awake with its favorable view of human rights initiatives.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• ChimpGirl
    ChimpGirl

Standing ovation! You did brilliantly! I know how much it hurts when you get this idiotic behaviour from loved family members, but I'm so glad you've got the rest of your family behind you. Funny how all the scriptural precedents about Christian behaviour and the fruits of the Spirit go flying out the window when Watchtower doctrine dictates otherwise. I'd like to think I would have behaved with the same maturity and dignity as you, but somehow I doubt it. Shine on in His light, lady!

• rhett
    rhett

Blue,
    Hahahahahaha, I love reading your posts on this. I think its so funny when JW's expect you to play by rules you don't believe in.
    Also, Ozzie, throw that "She's only being controlled so its not her fault" out the window. Even if she is being controlled she's the letting them control her. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? If Blue can do good its her strength that is the reason, if her sister does bad then its the JW's who are the reason. Is it just me or am I the only one who can't figure that one out?
    Keep these posts coming Blue, they're hilarious!

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit