What is the motivation that drives them......?

by lavendar 20 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

I've never been a JW, so I'm curious exactly what drives a Witness? Is it the FEAR of possibly not making it through Armageddon that motivates them to do more, do more, do more??

Our relative just starting Pioneering. What would possess a person to quit their good job to go knock on doors for 70-80 hours per month?? Is it fear.....or WHAT??

Thanks for your help,

Lavendar

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Is it fear

In a nutshell, yes

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Fear

Fear

Fear

Yes

Yes

Yes

• yknot
    yknot

sometimes it is:

1. congregational status...oh how "spiritual".

2. proof of being anointed.

3. Reaching the numbers to be considered for better appointments.

4. To feel 'worthy'......I don't see it as fear so much as low self esteem.

• searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

I think it depends on the person, so it is fear of Jehovah, losing friends or family, etc. For others they genuinely think that they are doing the "right" thing and want to please Jehovah.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Its a lifestyle. Plus its an opportunity to be a big fish in a tiny, secluded, incestuous little pond.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Belief

Ok it is brainwashed belief but belief nonetheless, they truly believe the crap they are told. Which is why debating with a jw is such a headache, ultimately they believe what they are saying is true and you are a sorry, misguided doomed fool

• serendipity
    serendipity

fear and self-satisfaction of having the 'truth'.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

Fear, loathing, self-hate.

Sad, but simple.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hubby does it for the social interaction. He says he does it because it is important to spread the life-saving news. What he doesn't say but is apparent from his facial expression, is that in practice it's deeply disappointing to knock on the door of dozens of "uninterested"s.

His car group keeps reminding him that fruitfulness is not the point.

Then they stop at Tim Horton's for coffee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit