If you could get back the time spent in WT what would you do differently?

by Thechickennest 23 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'd go out with that cute East Indian guy who used to deliver Charles Chips. He said, "Wow!" the first time I opened the door. I was 20 then. He eventually worked up the courage to ask me out and like a faithful dub, I forced myself to shoot him down.

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

1. Education, education, education.

2. Girls, girls, girls

3. Travelling, travelling, travelling

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Oh, if I had of just gone to school in my early 20's and got a degree in psychology (an interest of mine) instead of going pioneering! Then I could be a real psychologist making decent money instead of an armchair psychologist on JWD!

I also stayed in an unhappy marriage because I thought I had to please Jehovah, and I made my bed and should lie in it. It's hard for me to regret that too much though, because I consoled myself by having a child, and how can I regret the life of my son?

Ultimately, regrets are a waste of time, I believe. I'm 44 and still working on my degree. I think I should have it by the time I retire! Never too late to try new things until you are dead. (Well maybe some things, I'm pretty sure my ballerina career has passed me by for good!)

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

When i turned 18 an old school friend (i left school at 16) invited me out to the local pub for a drink, apparently there were quite a few of my schoolmates that used to go out there. Thinking of the "bad associations" i decided against it, but i really really wanted to go. I often wonder if i started meeting up with my "worldly" mates over the weekend how my life would have panned out differently. I'm pretty sure i would have lived my youth that i missed out on. I wouldn't have got into a party lifestyle in my late twenties, only now have i decided a degree is the way to go.

What would i have done different? I would have said, "when?" at the time my mate asked me to go out with them.

Paul

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would have kept up better on computers. Quite possibly, I would have had a job programming them, and not missed the boom in the late 1990s.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Sometimes I actually ask myself this question, but it usually depresses me. I am still in the organization, unfortunately, and am resigned that the rest of my life will be crap.

If I had not wasted these past 22 years of my life, I can see that I might have done many different and fun things. I used to want to pursue writing and comic book art. Those are the only two gifts that I have. Drawing moreso than writing. But the Society crushed any dreams I had of doing that. There was even an Awake! article by some former Japanese manga artist back in the 80s. She said that the comic company demanded too much time and had too many deadlines.

Anyway, that's the only thing I really ever wanted to do. I wanted to draw comics from the time I was 5 until I was about 22. But that dream is dead now. I think of doing it anyway and sending in some submissions to some independent comic publishers (or maybe even self-publishing mine on the internet) but then I am ...

That's it. I am making my own comic and self-publishing it on the internet. AS OF THIS WEEKEND I START.

If I get phone calls from the elders who don't see where I have time for it then there will be a fight. I will no longer deny myself of things I want to do.

I don't even want to do it for MONEY. I just want to do it because it has always been in me. This topic has encouraged me.

I will return to this board in a couple of weeks with the website.

Energized,

er

• jambon1
    jambon1

Many things. I often think about how I willingly bent over & took it up the pipe from such horrible, demanding, self-seeking morons. I would love to go back & say a thing or two differently on a number of incidents that occurred.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

i don't even want to do it for MONEY. I just want to do it because it has always been in me. This topic has encouraged me.

I will return to this board in a couple of weeks with the website.

Good for you! I think you should do it just for fun! Don't get all hung up on the outcome. Just do it because you have always wanted to do it and would enjoy it. Never mind what anyone else says. Don't even have to mention it.

That's basically the same reason I am going to still take courses at college. I may never get that degree and I doubt it would even have a chance to pay off for what it costs at this point, but dammit, I always wanted to do it, and didn't because I listened to JW bullshit, and now I'm just going to do it anyway just because I CAN!

Cog

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Easyreader1970:

It looks as though you are going take your life back. Excellent! I am extremely happy for you! As some one else mentioned, "Don't do it for money, do it for yourself"....If you can start a new business with your talent that's OK too. When you are up and going I hope that you will send me a PM about the website. Do not set your goals so high that you will be discourged if you do not at first get everything accomplished that you hoped to. Take things at your own pace and don't be too hard on yourself. We are trained as witnesses to beat ourselves to death with guilt, that having been said, just don't do go there while reaching out for your long time dream. Good luck freind!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

kept active in music.

continued education

not shunned my non JW family

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit