Atheism - The next and final logical step

by sam_sane_now 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sam_sane_now
    sam_sane_now

It is with great pleasure that I have found this forum, being an ex jw myself. After leaving when I was 17 I still held some belief in the notion of a "god," even though I didn't believe in JW teachings, then when I was about 21 and thought about it properly; I realised that evolution is the only real alternative to all religion. When you get to this point its very liberating to see that its not just JW's that are clouding and brainwashing peoples minds, but all religion, whether organised or not. Have most people on this forum come to realise this too? If you haven't got to this joyous point yet, I would recommend reading such books as Richard Dawkins God Delusion, even though you may thoroughly disagree and maybe be insulted with his style of writing, you will find that you cannot really refute what he says with any real vigor, and everything makes a whole lot more sense.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Welcome to the "Real World"

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Boy, you just started a s*&^storm the likes of which you've never experienced.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi SSN, I hate to assail the utter finality and logic of your position but:

Where does logic come from?

I realised that evolution is the only real alternative to all religion.

Evolution is not an alternative to religion, unless it itself is religious. I myself have no objection to evolution in the biological sense.

When you get to this point its very liberating to see that its not just JW's that are clouding and brainwashing peoples minds, but all religion, whether organised or not.

It must be very liberating to feel so superior. But as an X-JW God-believer my mind is as clear as a bell. AND I AM NOT ALONE.

Have most people on this forum come to realise this too?

Some people share your opinion, some do not. We are a motley crew.

If you haven't got to this joyous point yet, I would recommend reading such books as Richard Dawkins God Delusion, even though you may thoroughly disagree and maybe be insulted with his style of writing, you will find that you cannot really refute what he says with any real vigor, and everything makes a whole lot more sense.

I don't share you faith in the Dawkins and for good and sundry reasons. But there will be plenty of time to chat in the future.

There will be a "final step" when you are pushing up daisies. Here and now its all in a state of flux.

By the way, welcome to the board.

Cheers

BurnTheShips

• Gopher
    Gopher

From another atheist, welcome to the forum. I see that more younger people are discovering that atheism is a great path to follow.

On this forum we have people all across the spectrum, and you'll see that many believers are very reasonable and enjoyable to talk to. In fact, many believers even have come to accept that evolution is the most logical explanation for the world around us (kind of a "deity who planted the seeds of evolution at the beginning" idea).

Again, welcome to the forum, and enjoy the diversity here.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I realised that evolution is the only real alternative to all religion.

Evolution is not an alternative to any religion. Evolution is neutral to religion. It is merely a scientific/biological process. It does not necessitate god, nor does it exclude god.

The idea that evolution is an alternative to religion is part of the clouding you mention done by many religionist.

In answer to the statement of the title of this topic. Yes, it was for me.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    its very liberating to see that its not just JW's that are clouding and brainwashing peoples minds, but all religion, whether organised or not

Howdy and welcome.

Forgive me, but what has God got to do with religion?

Chris

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Welcome, brother.

• sam_sane_now
    sam_sane_now

Hi there, and thank you all for welcoming me to the forum. Burntheships, to answer your questions. 1. I talk about evolution being the alternative to religion in the sense that religion is the belief system that the universe was created by a superior being or force; hence intelligent design, whereas with evolution I see it as independent to a "creator" being needed or present, with changes in gene pools of populations through generations eliminating the need for a god to exist. Evolution is not the only reason I don't believe in god, but for me I think its the major most important discovery that got the ball rolling towards enlightenment for the modern age. 2.I am not directing my views with an aim of feeling superior, however, if I believe something to be true I feel that it is important that I express my views on the matter, and just as many people are here because they feel that JW's have created great hardships for them, I am pointing out that my disdain for the religious practices of JW's spreads out to all religions, because of the similarities I can see between all of them. 3. In regards to the comment about the final step when pushing up daises, I will quote bertrand russell; when he was asked by a religous person what he would say to god when he died as to why he didn't believe after taking a firm stance for atheism on earth. “Not enough evidence, God, not enough evidence”.

• sam_sane_now
    sam_sane_now

I'd also like to point out if this is unclear, the disdain I hold toward religion is not toward any individuals who believe, and I welcome friendly discussion, it is to the religious organisations as a whole. Yet any disdain held to the way any religions operate is independent to the reasons why I don't believe in god

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit