Where do atheists' morals come from?

by dorayakii 94 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

Cut him some slack HS, it is just a evolutionary misfire. He's just the sum total of his genetic makeup, remember?

'Dorayakii' is a very decent bloke actually and goes back a few years on this Board. Trying to control a thread on a discussion board is, apart from being out of order, like trying to herd cats and I am surprised that he even tried it, especially with a rancurous sod like me posting. ;)

HS

• 10p
    10p

Where do theists morals come from?

Define 'morals'.

Have morals changed over time?

If morals have changed, how did they change?

the answer is in the questions. I could rabbit on with examples, but you'd be better off googling "the shifting moral zeitgeist"

• 10p
  • Open mind
    Open mind

dorayakii:

Thank you very much for this thread. I've really enjoyed it. Best cat herding I've seen in a long time.

Hillary raised an interesting counter-point with this:

Sorry buster, you have no right to demand that I use or not use expressions as I see fit. You do not own this Board or this thread, and are not in a position to manipulate the thread so cool it!

First off Hillary, I'm not sure if the mods would approve of your shocking use of the "B" word against dorayakii.

Please hear me out though. I know you've expressed disdain in the past when someone like me comes along and says "Can't we all just get along" ala Rodney King. Cuddle, cuddle. "What will the newbies think?" and stuff like that. BTW, I think I've passed that phase.

*pats self on back*

By trying to suppress insults on this thread, dorayakii helped keep the debate more focused on actual points of substance. He didn't "demand" that you use or not use expressions as you see fit, but he DID try to "manipulate the thread" as you stated and to the extent that he succeeded, I applaud the result. Ad hominems just clutter up good debate. BTW, I'm not saying I'm going to try to maintain dorayakii's level of decorum in my own threads. Heck, I'm a fluffer-nutter if there ever was one. Most days name calling and toilet humor are the best I can summon.

Now, I'll beat you to the punch.

I'm a poo-poo head.

Sorry dorayakii.

*runs*

OM

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yeah, it's kind of like my wife saying "ok, I'm going to tell you something but I don't want you to get mad". Naturally, I am mad before I even hear it. It's one thing for my wife to try and finesse me, but for a poster here to try and set down rules of communication is just naive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit