Favorite Funk?

by beksbks 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

I've been a big RHCP fan since '89 and Flea funks it up good but I wouldn't say they're a funk band per se. What began there as punk/funk/rap has evolved to radio friendly unit shifting pop/rock. Still good tho IMO

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    Anybody know what a 45 is??

Like small & vinyl? Have a closet full!

h40

• minimus
    minimus

Fatback, Da Butt---EU, 1 Nation Under a Groove---Funkadelics, Shelila E, Prince, Johnny Kemp---Just got Paid

• Dagney
    Dagney

George Clinton.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Off the top of my head what comes to mind in that genre is one of the chics who play saxophone for Prince. I can't remember her name (I think she's German or Dutch or somesuch?), but she's put out some CD's where she lays it down funktionally and sensually.

I recently came across this Funk band out of Paris, Ceux Qui Marchent Debout. They recently played the Festival International De Louisiane in Lafayette Louisiana.

• Maryblondgrl
    Maryblondgrl

Prefer heavy metal hair bands myself....fav is SKID ROW....

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Good Lord, where do I begin?

James Brown, the originator of the funk and all his disciples, Bootsy especially. Still the purest and hardest funk, imnsho....I am a pretty big fan of C-funk nowadays, from Cameo. Don't get me wrong, nothing beats the P-funk, and I'm all about the Parliament-Funkadelic. Actually they were my first major foray into the funk. Earth Wind & Fire held my hand in the beginning.

The Ohio Players bring out the naughty funk like no other...except for Rick James. The problem with Rick is that he just became a caricature of himself over time. I still dig Rick, and rightly so...

Isley Brothers funk is powerful stuff but often overshadowed by the sensual stuff. For sheer regularity, you cannot beat the Meters. If you want the new school, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are high quality.

I've probably got the most extensive funk collection of anyone here. I would love to be proven wrong, but I care more about funk than any other type of music.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Jill Scott

"Golden"

I'm taking my freedom
    Pulling it off the shelf
    Putting it on my chain
    Wearing it 'round my neck
    I'm taking my freedom
    Putting it in my car
    Wherever I choose to go
    It will take me far
    I'm…

Living my life like it's golden...

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

There are a number of other "funk" bands I like....

Chic (especially their song "Good Times")

Earth, Wind & Fire

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Cameo

Rick James

Black Eyed Peas

Jamiroquai

Stevie Wonder

and lots of others...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Had to drop back in and post some links to the funkiest song in the history of civilization: Flashlight.

From the original vinyl:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAlMi_3ls5s

Live, back in the day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JbUP-skb7E&feature=related

And now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bqf2mPoOns&feature=related
    (incidentally... the fanfare goes on a while, the song actually starts about 1:45 into the vid)
    Man, oh man, that George Clinton's STILL GOT IT , and still puttin' it out there.

Awesome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit