**Quitting Smoking 102** May 19, 2008

by BFD 66 Replies latest jw friends

• BFD
    BFD

The last time I quit (8 years ago) I used the patch but I had a skin reaction to it so I stopped using it after 2 days. Pretty much went cold turkey.

I will look for that herbal remedy if the cravings get too bad.

Thanks,

BFD

• cawshun
    cawshun

May I suggest if you need help quiting smoking try Chantix. I used it and it really works. You don't even think of cig's. Even if you have a cig while on it, they don't taste good. It's expensive but if you can stay on it for 3 to 4 months, you should kick the habit. I have tried the welbutrin with the nicotine patch, no luck. The Chantix is great. They are talking about people getting sucidal on it, I have to disagree, I didn't even get bitchy and it also seemed to curb my appetite. It's really worth a try. I know of 6 people that quit using it and did it fairly easy. Good Luck.

• BFD
    BFD

Thanks, cawshun and Congratulations to you! How long did you smoke? Do you need a prescription for Chantix?

I am preparing myself mentally for Monday. I also have only smoked 6 cigs today so far.

BFD

• PEC
    PEC

BFD,

Philip

• Open mind
    Open mind

Best of luck to you Will.

If you do backslide though, we promise not to DF you.

OM

• cawshun
    cawshun

I was a smoker since I was 16, I'm 60. My 82 year old mother smoked since she was 16 and quit 16 months ago using Chantix. I'm more amazed at her, she was a heavy smoker. I've been off the same amount of time. I stayed on it for 2 months, my mom stayed on it for 4 months. Some of my friends stayed on it for just the one perscription.

The perscription is dosed out for you on a card. The first week you take one pill a day, next week you take one in the A.M. and one in the P.M. the second card I think the dose might increase. You can google it and read about it.

I have tired quiting so many times, each time with difficulty. I was really amazed how well the Chantix worked, the easiest time I ever had quiting. My mother too, thought it was easy, as she also tired many times before.

If you get a perscription for a month, and feel your not strong enough that you might fail, go for another perscripton.

Chantix blocks the nicotine from getting to the brain so you don't get the high. I don't know how it works, but I just didn't think about the cigs every minute like I did other times I tried quiting. I especially like that it seemed to help to surpress my appetite. My mother said it also had that afftect on her.

Any one trying to quit, I highly suggest trying Chantix. Here in Texas, it cost about $112.00 for a month. Sounds high but cigs here are getting close to $45.00 a carton, so what you save on cigs will pay for the perscription.

Again, good luck!

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I smoked for 16 years. I finally quit cold turkey in February '06. The first 3 days is the absolute WORST. You will be extremely agitated & emotional. Just plan on it. After the first week, things will begin to mellow. Have lots of chewing gum on hand. I kept a drinking straw that had been cut down to cigarette length in my pocket so that I could have something to hold & flick. I would even "draw" off the straw when things got really bad. After about 3 months, the cravings will subside a bit, but your body will begin to respond in a very positive way. You will have more energy & stamina. You will have dreams that you broke down & started smoking again. This is normal.

I don't really know how I did it. I attribute it to my stubbornness. I simply REFUSED to smoke, no matter how bad it got. Another lesson learned is that I can never, EVER, have another cigarette, not even a puff, or I will be right back where I was with that cruel,cruel monkey on my back. I don't know what your feelings are on pot, but I smoked a lot of that too. Really helped.

Now, 15 months later, I still have the occasional craving, but they are very easily controlled and usually only rear their ugly heads when I've had too much alcohol.

The thing to remember is that every day will be better & easier than the last. That only works though if you stick to your guns. Like I said, NO tobacco whatsoever.

Best of luck to you. This will likely be the hardest thing you've ever done, but you CAN do it. It just takes a tremendous amount of backbone & resolve. Your mind will be your worst enemy as it will try to trick you into making excuses that enable you. Don't reason with yourself too much. Just refuse to smoke, no matter what. Things will get better.

Sincerely,

-Breck

• BFD
    BFD

OM, I know I can always count on you.

Cashun, Good Lord I thought I was bad but not so much now. I've only been smoking for 30+ years. Thanks!

LowKey- That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the encouragement. I hear you. And I can be a stubborn SOB!

BFD

• Barbie Doll
  • Barbie Doll

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit