Illegals and Job Growth

by sammielee24 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Exaggerated beyond common sense.

No it is not, as you yourself explain:

This may be true at the low end of the wage pool, but certainly not above that where the majority of a nations wealth is earned.

BTS

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

XJW4,

You make it sound like all the crimes and murders committed in the US are caused by illegal aliens... like there are no US citizen crimials...

As WH said... we are all immigrants.

Most illegal immigrants that I know come here to escape poverty in their home country, and come here to work. Studies have been done that demonstrate that this does stimulate local economies, since many aliens decide to work as entrepreneurs.

If you think that all illegals are bad, please explain this: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10013111

Maybe this illegal alien will be operating on your xenophobic brains one day, lol.

A@G

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

Do not misrepresent my post. This is what you wote:

This is a good thing. A lot of the stagnation in wage growth over the last decades is attributable to a cheap desperate underground labor pool of illegal immigrants.

It is an exaggerated and inaccurate statement. Read my rebuttal again for a more reasoned and accurate statement than your own! The 'stagnation' in wage growth due to illegal immigration that you note has been minimal and focused only on the low end of the wage scale where most Americans do not live.

Heart before head again Burn? This is fine when you are playing the saxophone, but does you no service when you let it control other aspects of your thnking.

HS

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

The reality is that at least 12 million illegal aliens are here... You can't deport 4% of the US population, so they are not going anywhere, and they keep on coming in...

In an age of terrorism, would you prefer to know who these people are, and have them register? Or do you prefer to live in ignorant bliss that 1 out of 25 persons living in the US is underground?

I support an amnesty not because I agree that the borders should be wide open, nor that it was technically correct that tehse people came. But I would rather know my enemies than wonder who they are....

If they come into the light they are no longer a threat...

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I'm for amnesty for illegal immigrants.. even if you guys start shooting at me....

Reagan did that in 1986. Now, 20 years later, we're back in the exact same position. Amnesty, by itself, and as a gift, is not the answer.

You do make a good point that 12+ million people are here right now, and it is not practical to find and deport them. Having said that, I would favor offering an illegal immigrant a path toward legal citizenship. I would favor requiring them to follow similar steps legal immigrants have already followed, i.e. pay the fees, stand in line and so forth. If they want to stay, and truly want legal status, make an immigrant earn it.

I've got friends who emigrated from Taiwan and England, both are ticked at the idea of general amnesty. They paid a lot of money, spent a lot of time and effort to get legal citizenship and are not terribly pleased at the thought someone else can get it for free and with no effort whatsoever. Can't say as I blame them.

At the same time I would favor streamling the immigration process. It is ridiculous it takes years to become a citizen, and that is not because of 9/11. I don't pretend to be intimately familiar with the process, but I'm given to understand it is awash in endless bureacracy. It should be a shorter wait, cost less and be more thorough than what we have now. It can be done if the political will is there.

Finally building a fence is just stupid. Fences didn't work for East Berlin or East Germany, and it won't work here. I agree that the bordered should be secured but do it in an intelligent way. Triple (or more) the size and scope of Border Patrol and the Coast Guard. Beef up the technology for detection in the deserts of Arizona and Texas.

Congress can solve the immigration problem, but I do not believe there is any one all-encompassing answer. Like most problems, it requires an multi-faceted answer that deals with cause and effect, past, present and future.

Chris

• 5go
    5go

This may be true at the low end of the wage pool, but certainly not above that where the majority of a nations wealth is earned. The low end of the wage pool is a place that most Americans, understandably, do not live and do not want to live.

HS

This an example of how conservative out of touch conservatives are, by far most Americans are at the bottom and more are heading there daily thanks to the conservative ideology. Thankfully the average working American is waking of to the conservatives and their self deception on this well documented and increasingly harder to hide fact.

• 5go
    5go
    Reagan did that in 1986. Now, 20 years later, we're back in the exact same position. Amnesty, by itself, and as a gift, is not the answer.

Well Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 43, and Clinton all sold out the blue dogs democrats and winked toward the industrial leaders. Saying we are not going to crack down on labor law enforcement. Which is the real reason the problem came back.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Chris, you make valid points. Thanks for balancing out this discussion. I agree that strict requirements as a path to legalization is necessary, but something must be done. The current congress has decided to ignore the issue, instead of doing something, whether positive or negative, about it.

Inaction only exacerbates the issue.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Inaction only exacerbates the issue.

1) Build barrier and adequately fund and staff border control.

2) Enforce law.

3) Issue solved.

There will always be illegals it is just the current scale of the problem that is intractable.

BTS

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I live in a large farming area in Pennsylvania. They either hire Americans or Mexicans with legal work visas and they have student internship programs in which they get college credit instead of a salary. I buy all of my produce in the farmers markets which are still far cheaper than grocery stores.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit