no more preaching to be done

by DaCheech 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

journey-on, very interesting analysis... and I think you may have a valid assumption. Here's why:

While it was not a Bible Study that started me thinking "something is not right", it was a return visit I had. It was the only door I ever went to that had a sign that said "No Solicitors -- UNLESS you're one of Jehovah's Witnesses or a Mormon".

That guy invited me and my daughter in. I still don't remember all that we discussed over our two or three visits, but I kept getting backed into scriptural corners I couldn't answer, and he asked questions that made me think and question. Hmmm... I still remember what neighborhood he lived in. Maybe I should stop in and thank him!

So, while I don't think the "preaching work" will end, per se, I think their MANNER of doing it might very well change.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Maybe I should stop in and thank him!

TJ....that would be so cool!

Other reasons why I think the door-to-door ministry as we know it today is on shaky ground:

.....It's DANGEROUS out there nowadays. With so many druggies, pedophiles, mental cases, etc., is it

really wise to approach a strange house? Back in the day, we actually thought the angels were watching

over our shoulders. I don't really think most JWs think that way now.

....GASOLINE PRICES!!!! Need I say more.

....LAWSUITS. If you get in an accident while out in service, can the org be sued. I seem to recall something

about this recently. It's like using your personal vehicle for business purposes and getting in an accident and

someone suing your employer.

I'm sure someone can think of other reasons to make the door-to-door ministry obsolete as we know it today.

• heathen
    heathen

I would add just plain lack of qualified people to do it . With higher cost of living people have to find more work to survive so not as much time left for it .

• choosing life
    choosing life

As much as I would like to see the door to door work end, I don't see it happening. They need to keep the dubs on the hamster wheel. Keeps them from having time to think. They still brag that they are the only religion preaching "the kingdom good news" and list this as a reason they are the only true religion.

How would they measure their spiritual worth?

• dmouse
    dmouse

It's possible that the preaching work will be 'simplified' in that it will still be done, but you won't have to count and report your hours - think of all the paperwork that will be saved. Also, only reporting JWs are counted at the minute - change THAT and, say, count people who turn up at meetings instead, and they'll appear to suddenly have massive growth!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

It sounds reasonable to me to think that they may cut out the door-to-door work. (They can find other

supplemental ways to make up the $$, which I don't thing are earning that much anyway in the field ministry.)

I don't think they'd ever cut the d2d work. It's their most important time-wasting activity, and the ONLY way that they can ever hope to keep up with the revolving door membership. Without the preaching, then really they'd be quite close to a mainstream religion. You've still got the shunning, but otherwise, it'd just be a sect that likes to go to church twice a week instead of just once.

Just think of all the free time the r&f would have if they didn't have to go preaching on Saturday mornings, or during the week. Idle time makes for mischief.

They'd be nuts to cut the field work. In fact, if they were doing that I'd say they really would be exercising the "nuclear" option, because there'd be no recovering from the loss of membership influx.

• Mary
    Mary
    journeyon said: Other reasons why I think the door-to-door ministry as we know it today is on shaky ground: .....It's DANGEROUS out there nowadays. With so many druggies, pedophiles, mental cases, etc., is it really wise to approach a strange house?

Have no fear: the door-to-door ministry is not on shaky ground, at least as far as WTS goes. The July Craptower (study article) is devoted entirely as to the importance of preaching door to door. I skimmed through the article yesterday and they have one "worldly" quote "confirming" that the Apostle Paul preached door to door. When I get a minute, I plan on checking that quote out very carefully, given the Society's unfortunate habit of taking things out of context whenever it suits their purpose.

....GASOLINE PRICES!!!! Need I say more.

They don't give a shit about the price of gas. The Bookstudy was most likely amalgamated with the TMS simply to boost the attendance record, end of story. Let's face it: if they don't care about members dying due to the ban on blood transfusions and if they have no qualms about protecting pedophiles and silencing victims of this horrific crime, you really think they give a rat's ass about how much people are spending on gas?

....LAWSUITS. If you get in an accident while out in service, can the org be sued. I seem to recall something about this recently.

This is such a longshot, it's not even on their radar. Anyone who goes out in Service is a "believer" and the repercussions of suing 'Christ's brothers" while doing this um, life-saving work, would never even occur to the R&F. First of all, you're there as a "volunteer". Second, if you're in an accident, your car insurance would pay for the damages. I'm not aware of anyway the WTS could be sued while someone's out in Service, but if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Sorry----the idea that they're trying to phase out Field Service is paramount to the idea that they're struggling financially and are about to go belly-up: It's just wishful thinking. They'll never get rid of Service because it's one of their core beliefs and practices, no matter how useless it is.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    What if they stopped requiring that time be turned in at the end of the month.

That would be a good thing, and there's plenty of scriptural reasons for doing away with that. Even semi-apologist Greg Stafford devotes plenty of writing against that requirement.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think field circus will always be an integral part of being a witless. It is what keeps them from doing anything useful, like thinking. And it will be ever more dumbed down (like the Great Big Waste of Paper Distribution Campaign that they didn't finish this past March). If anything, they will stress pioneering and doing even more field circus.

And, so what if the householder goes here or to Freeminds, Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses, or Six Screens (assuming the latter gets past its current technical difficulties and becomes fully functional once again)? If they do that, the witless will have to somehow get the householder to believe the lie instead of the in-context information online. The witless will have to act like the online information is all wrong and the Washtowel Slaveholdery information is the truth. If the householder doesn't give in, the witless will have to hound them until they do or it becomes obvious that they will not (and then leave it for the next witless). Which will waste more of the witlesses' time and isolate them from apostate information.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Bookmark this page. ....LOL

Remember, I predict the door-to-door work as we know it today will be obsolete within one to three years.

I have an idea how they can replace it, but I don't want to give the WTS any ideas just yet. But, just remember

I said it on May 11, 2008....They will use a scriptural application to end it and the rank and file will get

even busier "preparing" for the end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit