Pop Psychology - warning

by Uzzah 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Cog:

You have a vast knowledge of many topics and most would do well to listen when you chose to give advice. I also have given advice to some on this and other exJW boards when it has been within my experience to do so.

The point of my post was about those who promote themselves as having answers, those seeking people to come to them for advice.

There is nothing wrong in people sharing their experiences and people learning valuable lessons from others mistakes/successes. But to place oneself as an amateur psychologist or life coach without credentials is fraudulent and people would be wise to give them a wide berth.

Uzzah

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

LOL at John Doe - Watched any Dr Phil lately?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Ha ha. I've never seen Dr. Phil, as I can't stand Oprah. ;-)

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    We're all adults here and we are responsible for advice we seek or advice we apply.

I doubt that. I'm willing to bet every witness kid between 9 and 17 is reading this right now, with their Internet Options open and the quickkey (if there is one) for delete cookies, internet files, and history under their fingers. Probably have a selection from xtube.com playing in another window........ When I got ahold of internet access, I wanted to see EVERYTHING, and my gosh I did.

Eat your fruit (apple) kids, it will help you grow up big, strong and ... sane.

Bring_the_Light

• John Doe
    John Doe

Light, you have a point there. I should say that we all should be adults here. ;-)

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I am so grateful for JCanon's leadership. The posts are so well researched that they are above reproach. Yes I am a JCanon's Witness. Who needs the WTBTS? JCanon will never lead me astray.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

A warning worth bearing in mind. LOL at Jimmy.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Avengers:

I posted as Kismet before (June 2000 I believe was the sign up date) and was mod and participant on H20 for several years prior to Simon creating JWD.

Thought about taking a break?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Heya, Uzzah. =] All cautions are welcome and I appreciate the intent of your warning and the reminder to stay humble in the doling out of "help". haha. That said, I do wonder: howEver did humAnity surVive beFore the "eXpert"? And is there Life After The Expert? =] LOL. I love the "thread" format here in the www's "global village" ... I find the wide variety of responses offered, on whatever query, to be quite balancing! The best gifts in life are given freely. Now, where do I get me some $tocks in P$ychology? Them thar folk$ $eem to be quite convincing the world that we can't $urvive without their e$$ential $ervices! Wonder why they'd want u$ to think that, hmmm? Safe. =]

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

"Pop Psychology",,,thanks for the warning I will put it at the head of don't listen to list.

When ever a pop psychologist rears his ugly head and speakth with his lizard tongue I run away and hide with my hands over my eyes and my fingers in my ears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit