Our CO gave a talk to kids. Stay OUT of school!

by easyreader1970 56 Replies latest jw friends

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

He wanted to talk to the young ones in the congregation. The main theme of the talk had to do with AVOIDING HIGHER EDUCATION.

Basically the main idea was this: Witnesses are losing alot of young people here in the last few years. [I am glad he at least admitted to something everybody already knows.] The reason young people are leaving is not immorality but higher education. Why? [Here is where he toys with the mind.] Because higher education is nothing but a chase after riches and you will end up stabbing yourself with many pains. Also, your career will take up your time and your mind, which you should be devoting to Jehovah. Jehovah's people need jobs that they don't have to think about after they leave for the day [yes, he actually said that]. He did NOT say that college or university often encourages people to think for themselves and to do independent research and not to just take a source's word for something.

er

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I guess he is doing his fair share of getting people on food stamps

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

He wanted to talk to the young ones in the congregation. The main theme of the talk had to do with AVOIDING HIGHER EDUCATION.

Basically the main idea was this: Witnesses are losing alot of young people here in the last few years. [I am glad he at least admitted to something everybody already knows.] The reason young people are leaving is not immorality but higher education.

Wow, that is 100% true.

Why? [Here is where he toys with the mind.] Because higher education is nothing but a chase after riches and you will end up stabbing yourself with many pains.

Wow, that's mostly true.

Also, your career will take up your time and your mind, which you should be devoting to Jehovah.

Well, he's still at 2 out of 3 at this point. Not too shabby, imperfect human and all that.

Jehovah's people need jobs that they don't have to think about after they leave for the day [yes, he actually said that].

Well ya know, while I don't agree with the premise, I sometimes wish I had a braindead job where the issues get solved on time, just like a Sitcom. We'll give him 1/2 credit for having a point about "the kind of job" you get with an education. so we're at 2.5 out of 4. Still a C Average.

He did NOT say that college or university often encourages people to think for themselves and to do independent research and not to just take a source's word for something.

Oooh, failure to state the obvious voids all points earned, which makes it a COMPLETE lie.

• freydi
    freydi

I wonder what a talk would sound like using the same logic having to do with eating food.

AVOIDING ADDICTIVE FOOD

"We all know that going to the grocery store can lead to unhealthy habits and unnecessary association with worldly minded people who do not appreciate Jehovah's principles when it comes to gluttony which is promoted everywhere in the aisles of worldly grocery stores along with materialism at the larger chains. The thing to do is to be like Noah who planted his own vineyard. For those who live in apartments one can grow much food in what's called "container gardening." By being thrifty you can perhaps become a healthier one income family, thus making more time available for declaring the good news in field service. And there's the added benefit of learning more about Jehovah's herbal creations that will make you self-sufficient when the grocery store shelves become empty when Jehovah destroys all the non-witnesses during Armageddon."

• VM44
    VM44

"Jehovah's people need jobs that they don't have to think about after they leave for the day"

Did he give any examples of such jobs?

Also, how old is this CO?

• VM44
    VM44

"Because higher education is nothing but a chase after riches and you will end up stabbing yourself with many pains."

That generalized statement is simply just WRONG!

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    I wonder what a talk would sound like using the same logic having to do with eating food.

AVOIDING ADDICTIVE FOOD

"We all know that going to the grocery store can lead to unhealthy habits and unnecessary association with worldly minded people who do not appreciate Jehovah's principles when it comes to gluttony which is promoted everywhere in the aisles of worldly grocery stores along with materialism at the larger chains. The thing to do is to be like Noah who planted his own vineyard. For those who live in apartments one can grow much food in what's called "container gardening." By being thrifty you can perhaps become a healthier one income family, thus making more time available for declaring the good news in field service. And there's the added benefit of learning more about Jehovah's herbal creations that will make you self-sufficient when the grocery store shelves become empty when Jehovah destroys all the non-witnesses during Armageddon."

Nice.

• yknot
    yknot

Who exactly within the tower writes the outlines for the COs and DOs?

• John Doe
    John Doe

2.5 out of 4 is a 62.5%. I don't know what school you go or went to, but I've never been in one that gave a c for that percentage.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

We just had the same exact talk. I know that the COs have specific outlines (I think they used to be able to come up with at least one of the parts by themselves based on their perceived need of their particular circuit) and this is clearly one from the WTS. The problem here isn't that kids are going to school, its that they're getting pregnant way too young. These kids aren't going to college because they're locked in a vicious cycle. If the WTS wanted to help them, they could focus on making smarter decisions.

Ours went into some detail about that crazy Timothy drama where Timothy decided not to go to the "University of Athens" in favor of being a "pioneer". As if Roman society of the first century had the same educational set-up that the West has today. He hammered the youth pretty good, yet when I looked around, most of them seemed not to be paying much attention. Unfortunately, some of the parents were. I'm concerned about one kid who is very smart and whose father is not a JW (but mom can be quite a zealot). Dad is already pushing for college and mom is pushing back. For the kids sake, I hope dad wins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit