Falling Asleep at Assemblies

by LouBelle 32 Replies latest jw friends

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

With the babies in tow, sleeping in a sh*thole hotel, I was constantly tired. After lunch, holding a warm, sleepy baby I would fight it. But the other one, or two depending on the year, would always keep me busy.

When I was a kid though, I loved sleeping with my head in my mom's lap.

momz

• nsrn
    nsrn

Gary! Those pictures brink back memories!!! My dad and I were really into photography, and we walked around with 'volunteer' name tags on and take 'press photos'. My secret goal was to take pictures of sleepers, nose pickers and immodest dressers. Since we developed our own black and white pictures at home, that plan only lasted a couple of assemblies before I was in trouble for wasting film. (That was back long before digital, kids). But there are still assembly pictures at my folks' house of strangers being photogenic!

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

GaryBuss, how come these pics never get published by the FDS???

• Alexia
    Alexia

Our assemblies and conventions were indoor (San Francisco Bay Area) so it was pretty hard to hide (no shades, no umbrellas, etc). Sit as close to the rear as you can was pretty much all I could do!

• dinah
    dinah

You just have to go sit in the top deck with the other bad kids and time passes faster. If your mom makes you sit with her, then a nap is your best defense. If I couldn't get away with a nap, I would just doodle in my notebook.

A nap during the Service Meeting was always helpful when you had to get up and go to skool the next morning. Service Meetings were like a great huge sleeping pill.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I got called out by the CO for sleeping during a assembly. I was about 15 or 16 at the time. The CO was talking to my Grandpa during lunch and my whole family sat together for assemblies and lunch. The CO looked over at me and asked how I liked the part on youth. I said what part on youth?? He said I knew that was you sleeping in the second row.

Yeah I was sleeping.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

When I was little, my mom wasn't too hard on us about a bit of a nap. I'd always lean toward the armrest and end up with a handprint on my cheek and a cramp in my wrist.

When I got a little older (teen years) I "worked" as an attendant. My brother and I would save ourselves seats way up in the very top row where it was kind of dark and the A/C vents were nearby so it was cool. Our job as attendants, thanks to a bro we knew who was in charge, was early morning security, keeping all you naughty dubs not following jehoober's arrangement from coming in to the auditorium before the lights were on and saving blocks of seats. Of course, this meant we got to go in before the auditorium was open, the lights on, and save seats for all of our families. So, during the program, we had no real assignment. We could sit where we wanted and walk around with little signs saying "please return to your seats" and such. It was an easy way to walk around and scope out the girls.

As a dub kid, I guess you gotta know how to play the angles.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

We bought a video camera with an amazing zoom function just before the summer convention one year. The kids were just entering their teens, and bored stiff at assemblies. So we spent the afternoon session one day zooming in on people on the other side of the stadium, and when we found someone from our congregation sleeping or picking their nose or *gasp!* not looking up the scriptures, we zooomed in and video taped them!

I should look for that tape!

GGG

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

That one guy in the bottom picture wasn't sleeping he was looking for Jesus coming on the clouds.

LD

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

LOL at garybuss - those photos are classic - boy do they bring back memories!

I used to spend most of the time doodling and that kind of thing to avoid falling asleep and then of course there was the prerequisite take a looooong walk to the loo break - this could take up a whole talk if you did it right and bumped into enough people. One of the last CA's I recall attending I sat with the crowd of bad association that I was hangiing out with at the time - we were whispering and passing notes and generally being quite disruptive I guess, we were actually called out about it... quite immature behaviour I admit, but it was the most fun assembly I remember going to!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit