What do you know you know?

by zensim 36 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I know that the exquisite sensation of the Divine within me may be nothing more than my psyche's way of delivering positive feedback and approval that my pyschology has disowned.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I know that I know that everything is relative to something else.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I know that I know that everything is relative to something else.

[smile] [thumbs up]

• Twitch
    Twitch

I know nothing is certain, which leads to knowing nothing really. And so on,....

I know who I am and what I want, but that will likely change.

People have called me intelligent, but they don't know anything either,..

:)

• boyzone
    boyzone

I know that I'm me now, not what someone wants me to be. I know that I'm whole again after 21 years dissonance. I know that sometime in the future the anger will pass and I will move on.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I know that you know that I know. And what I know, you know that I know because you know. Why is it that I can know and you can know? It is because I know and you know. And I know that you know, and you know that I know. So I know that you know that I know that you know that I know. So, that is what I know that I know.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    what is it that you know, deep inside your being - which may sound absurd if you try to explain it, which you fear no-one will understand and which you doubt you even have words for?

There is more 'luck' involved in life than we realize.

Warlock

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts."
    Marcus A. Antoninus

"Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is."
    Maxim Gorky

"Above all, maintain a good sense of humor, best done by saying something pleasant every time you get a chance."
    John A. Schindler

Whoever is happy will make others happy, too."
    Anne Frank

I work at keeping my thoughts in a positive light it makes life a better place to be. That is all I know!

Cheers

hope4others

• real one
    real one

Jesus Christ is Lord!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hey zensim,

As much as I want to answer your question, you know (!) -- as is apparent from the development of your post -- that I can't.

what is it that you know, deep inside your being - which may sound absurd if you try to explain it, which you fear no-one will understand and which you doubt you even have words for?

Actually I am more than doubting it. I know (!!) I haven't.

When you read Borges' short novel Undr I referred you to, you'll see what I mean better perhaps. Briefly, the point is, everyone may eventually find (actually, invent) his/her own "word" for "it" -- so that even the identity of the "it" remains a question. The "sign" of knowledge is just as ambiguous as silence -- even the fool, when he is quiet, looks wise. But I can "ramble" on (I know that's not what you asked from me; please bear with me though). First, I feel a big difference between your reflective thread title "What do you know you know?" and the non-reflective question you then asked me, "what is it that you know..." On a reflective position, "I know that I know," period. I can remember that I once (if only the minute before) knew something, which is different. Impermanence of the subject = position in the mirror play. Descartes' cogito, ergo sum doesn't found any "being" but that of the subject in the instant (and position) of thinking. To warrant a permanent structure of knowledge (hence method) Descartes needed to posit "God". But that was opening the door for the "evil demon" of delusion to sneak in again. Without such a "God," the cartesian motto really amounts to "'I' happen to think, therefore 'I' happen." This, of course, I know, too. On a non-reflective position, I can "know" a lot of things, but they are all on the relative level of "the grass is green" (define "grass," define "is," define "green"). Journey-on's proposal is the best I can think of as a general theory (i.e., abstraction) of all those tidbits of relative knowledge -- "everything is relative to something else". I can think that, I may believe it, but do I know it? There are a few things I can say, a little more I can write. But as to knowing... I can sit in the garden, look at the stars or clouds, listen to the birds or music, or even think (yes!) and sometimes a definite chill in my spine tells me I know. But what I know at that particular moment and place (which is not the reflective spot where I know I know) I can't tell without instantly betraying it. Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit