I Do Not Understand Why JWs Leave & Become Catholics!

by minimus 239 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Out of all religions, Catholicism, to me, is wrong and clearly could never be the truth.

• John Doe
    John Doe

You're assuming that everyone wants the same things from religion and that you've evaluated all possible aspects of Catholicism.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Out of all religions, Catholicism, to me, is wrong and clearly could never be the truth.

I used to feel the same way. I actually hated it. I still have some psychological barriers. I credit these to leftover JW programming. But intellectually it makes sense to me. BTS

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

It's interesting that Barbara Harrison Grazutti, Tom Cabeen and two of our serious JWD posters (names evade me at the moment, but they were on the ETWN (??) Catholic channel a few months ago) here left the JWs and eventually became Catholic. Barbara I think was intrigued by the beauty and ritual. She and I e-mailed a few times, having a few JW friends in common, just before she died.

As far as Catholics go, I do have to say that the writings of Thomas Merton, who became a Trappist monk, have been very important to me. I've been fascinated by the idea of monks, regardless of the religion. Sort of strange for a horndog like me!

S4

• Scully
    Scully

I can think of a few explanations:

1. To really pi$$ off any JW they ever knew (the old dog-returning-to-the-vomit thing) and ensure that JWs won't bother them, ever.
    2. To experience the rituals involved in Catholicism, that they were never allowed to do as JWs.
    3. To show their support of the Catholic Church's current stance regarding pedophile priests: official apologies from the pulpit and the Vatican, acknowledgement of the pain and suffering of the victims and their families and financial restitution for the victims - something you'll NEVER see happen with the JWs.
    4. To go back to the family religion (if a Catholic converted to the JWs and then left).
    5. Because they can.

The WTS did a stand-up job of slamming the Catholic Church at every opportunity - I think a lot of times this tactic backfires and makes people more curious and willing to investigate a belief system that spawns so much hatred from "the competition".

Having said all that, it's not for me to judge other peoples' choices in belief systems - people have as much right to become Catholics after they leave the JWs as I have to be atheist.

• 5go
    5go

Strangely I do they read the bible which was written for catholics by catholics.

The thing that shocks me is why so many become protestant again.

• rekless
    rekless

Because Catholocism is 180 degrees opposite of the tower; it gives freedom to explore and expand the mind in search for the truth while not condeming you for seeking the truth.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Quirky1

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

I Do Not Understand Why JWs Leave & Become Catholics!

I am not a believer now but have been both a Catholic and a WTS lemming.

I own the full run of the Catholic Encyclopedia, I also own a full run of Insight on the Scriptures.

Let us just put it this way, Catholic Theologians are rather more catholic than is the WTS and they are also far more advanced in their scientific and Biblical knowledge than Ted Jaracz and his lifeless flock of career compromised pseudo-scholars.

Perhaps this has something to do with it.

HS

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I became a Catholic after growing up in the Tower prison, why because it's the first time I felt that god was really there, no matter how you reason it with what ever books or how the JW's twist the thinking, I know that the first time I attended mass it felt like I was with god and not a cult that has a monthly magazine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit