Monday -- What would you do?`

by reneeisorym 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I had been on my job for 10 years they droped our pension, retirement. They gave us the cash to invest ourselves. I looked for another job but stayed 13 more years until they went out of business because I couldnt find a better job.

I would say always look for a better opportunity. Sometimes you find them and sometimes you dont.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am in a similar situation.

Good jobs are hard to find, but this job has become boring, actually, I think maybe IT has become boring.

I stay here because I need the work and the employment situation right now is deteriorating.

BTS

• sparrow
    sparrow

Hiya reneeisorym,

It was nice to chat the other week. I think you are full of ambition and ability and I recommend everyone keeping an eye out and job hunting for something new and exciting. I don't quite understand the US situation but I'm sure it's the same here. You gotta keep your options open, try to always have a backup plan, aim a little higher than you think you can get and watch your loyalties when it comes to a job. At the end of the day you need to look after yourself...

And get to France one day :)

Cheers,

Sparrow

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Here's a small example of why I am not motivated to work:

(I work in the store in accouting where we have an accounting department at the corporate office -- most of what we do is rent stuff out.) Our collections department gets paid based upon how many people are past due. Part of my job is to help them in any way I can because I have the power to stop us from selling to them and threatening to pick up the item they are renting if they won't pay the rent. I usually am very good at helping with collections. The thing that doesn't motivate me is that if I do go above and beyond, the collections department sees it in their paycheck and gets commended. I get nothing for that. No one even notices if I do anything. So why on earth would I bend over backwards to help?? In fact, my boss gets a little upset if I do too much because he says when he needs me to do things for him, I won't be available because they are depending too much on me.

They stopped payments into the pension deal. So anyone who hasn't contributed yet because they haven't been there 5 years, is dropped along with any new hire. There reason was because only my section of the company that was bought from another company had a pension program so they were going to stop it. It wasn't "fair" for only my division to get pension.

I just have to vomit this out -- This company sells the weirdest combination of items: Wholesale food, welding supplies, natural gas as a utility, and medical supplies.

I have a friend who is in the jop placement business. I'm going to go visit her at lunch and see what she says.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It sounds like you have an awkward position of a job. It's hard to be motivated when you know it doesn't make a difference in your workplace. I wouldn't be able to stay there, if I had a choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit