Suing the tower

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 68 Replies latest jw experiences

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

Hey, I'm DOWN for the class action law suit. I was a minor when I got baptized (16) and born and raised on the inside. Their shunning caused a suicide attempt and counseling, and I turned down major scholarship money based on their "no college" rules. I would like them to have to pay my student loans!!!

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

While in Paul v. Watchtower, the shunned party did not win. Why? Becuase it was just the friends that shunned. Must prove that Church meddled with your family &/or business.

This is interesting news. And this is something that can be documented, at least the work related stuff since the government has its hands all over a company for taxes, insurance, and health and safety codes.

Thanks!

• John Doe
    John Doe

Problems with class actions suits:

If you're suing for the type of class action involving monetary damages, you have to be able to personally identify and notify each member of the class. This burden is born by the plaintiff. Imagine the cost and effort involved in this simple action.

You have to show that all members of the class will have suits centered on the same legal issue or claim, and their interests are the same.

You have to show that it is practicable to have all of the class in one suit.

You have to show that the plaintiff and the attorneys accurately represent the interests of the class.

You have to show that either the claims should all be based on one jurisdiction's laws, or that all the jurisdictions have substantially the same laws.

You have to expend ridiculous amounts of capital and prepared to be in the suit for decades.

All of these are simply issues of getting certified. Once you've accomplished all that, then you have to try the suit. Fat chance this will ever happen. The Exxon Valdez case has been going on for 2 decades and is still going on. Class actions suits often involve enough time that some lawyers actually base their careers on one case.

Please note that I'm not giving legal advice, as I'm not licensed to do such. This is just a theoretical discussion.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I posted this some time ago, but unfortunately now the link is not working, but maybe a search of the site could come up with the paper.

http://users.uniserve.com/~renford/parlimen.htm

This is an article I came across a few years ago from the LIBRARY OF PARLIAMENT
    Research Branch

The Canadian government is aware of the JW shunning practice, but the conclusion of the paper says it all

This paper has attempted to describe the disfellowshipping and shunning practices of JWs and to present possible remedial actions which might be taken by an individual to address the injury he or she is caused by these practices. It concludes that a self-help approach may be more effective. at the end of the dale, than pursing legal avenues.
    BB
  • Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Lady Lee started a thread and thankfully copied and pasted the article -

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/112349/1962334/post.ashx#1962334

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Most of the comments make it seem next to impossible to sue the WTB&TS for shunning and win. But has a lawsuit ever been brought by people who were baptized as minors? I can't believe that these evil bastards are the only ones on the planet to get away with enforcing a contract made with a minor. I know that type of law suit wouldn't cover everybody who has been da'd or df'd, but it would cover a lot of people. Also, what about a law suit limited to those who da'd themselves before the rules changed about shunning them?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Some other questions: What about a law suit that would represent people who were forced to leave the organization due to physical and/or sexual abuse? What about people who offered to da themselves due to some form of abuse but were df'd instead? I would fit into several catagories: baptized as a minor, forced out due to physical abuse and offered to da but was df'd instead.

• sspo
    sspo

How about a lawsuit against the watchtower by those that have been DF or automatically DA for wanting to join the militay?

That would definetely draw some media attention and get the country in uproar against the watchtower for kicking out young men and women that wanted to serve their country.

• avengers
    avengers
    Keep this in mind- trying to get former JW's to work together is like
    herding cats.

Love the analogy.

• milligal
    milligal

In my mind, the important thing here is that even if it were work intensive and involved, the final outcome would send a huge message to JW's and the outside world. Door to door work would be a little different with that kind of publicity. And, what kind of message would it send to wbts if suddenly they have to be aware of how they treat people-whether the suit wins or not. Look at how the elders followed me for weeks before disfellowshipping me in a grocery store parking lot. Shouldn't they have felt some restraint before harassing me?

Involving JW's in a legal suit would be like 'suing' them in itself. Think of all the uncomfortable elders, pioneers and ministerial servants subpoena'd and forced to defend their ridiculous behavior in front of a roomful of people who DON'T understand.

One thing I know from the last eight years in court with my ex 1-people HATE to go to court especially if they have to testify, it's a very intimidating experience 2-the legal expenses incurred by the neccessary defense are a burden and a form of retribution all by itself.

I disagree that this should be looked at as though it's an impossibility. It's just an issue that would deserve time and planning, but you have to believe that some things are worth the effort.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit