The Death Thread

by Open mind 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Do you fear death?

Why? Why not?

I typed in "fear death" into the Search feature and it looks like JWD hasn't had a "Death Thread" in quite a while. I'd really enjoy hearing the perspectives of current posters.

OM

• snowbird
    snowbird

Do you fear death?

No, but I don't want to die.

Why not?

I believe death -which is going to end eventually - is only a temporary interruption of life.

Sylvia

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I'm not afraid of it, per se. I am afraid of dying and missing out on my kids' lives. I want to be there for all of it and die old and surrounded by grandbabies. Maybe even great grandbabies!

momz

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I believe death -which is going to end eventually - is only a temporary interruption of life.

Wow! To make such a grand statement unencumbered by the need to offer an explanation or reasoning. I used to be like that.

All the best Sylvia, really, I mean that.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Wow! To make such a grand statement unencumbered by the need to offer an explanation or reasoning. I used to be like that.

It's just a simple statement explaining why I don't fear death. If I didn't subscribe to the stated belief, I would dread death.

All the best Sylvia, really, I mean that.

Thank you very much. I really mean that.

Sylvia

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My death will probably take place the day after I finally get all my shit together.

My greatest fear regarding death is for the care of my birds. I also feel sorry for whoever has to clean up this bloody mess I've created.

W

• Open mind
    Open mind

For the believers that there's more life after death, then as long as your belief is ROCK SOLID, and harbors no doubts, there should be no reason to fear death at all.

I believe this life is all we can be sure of. And, of course, this life is only doled out one moment at a time.

The result for me is a deepened appreciation of life and a desire to make the most of it. I think that's a good thing. And it's a complete reversal from the JW view that this isn't the "real life" so don't really "live it". Wait until the New Order. Then you can live. Sort of.

However, the belief that this life is probably, or even possibly, all there is, isn't too comforting when it comes to contemplating death.

This is where my rational brain kicks in and says, well that's the price to be paid for free thinking and healthy skepticism. Wishing something to be so (eternal life), doesn't make it so.

Carl Sagan called it the "heavy burden of skepticism". He was a strong advocate of bearing it.

OM

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm not afraid of it, per se. I am afraid of dying and missing out on my kids' lives. I want to be there for all of it and die old and surrounded by grandbabies. Maybe even great grandbabies!

That's more or less how I see it.

BTS

• chickpea
    chickpea

from my profile>>>> i can accept what might be the reality that life is meant to be ephemeral and i can live ( and die ) not knowing if this is all there is, but i can no longer let life get away from me, hedging on a bet that there is more to it than this!!

i have had a near death experience, drowning, and after an intitial panic, there was a calm.... facing what appeared inevitable .... ( pre-assimilation, btw)

bottom line for me... i dont WANT to die anytime soon, but i am not afraid of being dead

• Open mind
    Open mind

About once or twice a year, I'll wake up in the middle of the night with these three brilliant revelations:

1. Holy Crap! I'm actually gonna die someday! (As moronic as this sounds, born-in JWs are not taught to believe this. What a mind-screwing!)

2. We all die alone. Even if we have family and friends holding our hand when we pass behind the curtain of death, we must go alone.

3. I don't want to die.

About this time, my rational brain finally wakes up from a perfectly good slumber (rather ticked off I might add, ) and gives my panicky side a good smack down and I'm good for another 6-12 months.

Anybody else go through this?

Is it healthy?

Does it become more frequent the closer one gets to death? I hope not. Every 6-12 months is actually pretty good for me, I think. Makes me reevaluate where I'm going.

OM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit