The Death Thread

by Open mind 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• loosie
    loosie
    My death will probably take place the day after I finally get all my shit together.

Finally free it sounds like you believe in Murphy's law.

I"m not afraid of death. I think there is another journey awaiting us. But I am in no hurry to die. I've got a kid to raise and grandbabies yet to see.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I'm not afraid of death as such. I would like to live forever actually, but that's not in the cards as I see it. Going back to oblivion like before birth is in itself not something I fear, but I hate the thought of not continuing living.

But fear - it depends on how it happens too. If I'm in a situation where I know where it's headed, I'll probably freak out like everyone else. And I'm 'afraid of' the pain and agony sometimes associated with death. If I however go to sleep in my eighties and never wake up, then it's really nothing I fear.

But it does suck. It's a slim - although real - 'comfort' knowing that it's happened to everyone before me as well, though.

If it turns out there actually is something after death I'll be surprised, but it'll be a welcomed bonus.

• mouthy
    mouthy

No I am not afraid of death. I do hope I dont linger in alot of pain( I am a wimp) I have come to a place in my life where I have children (all gone but 1, )Grand-children 7( who is always want money) But I love em so I give.... unwisely I know. I have GREAT grandkids. Whom I love dearly but hate to see what they have to go through ....No Father in their lives earthly or heavenly.... So I would like to stop the world & get of, but it spins too fast & I cant jump anymore LOL

• changeling
    changeling

Fear of death, no. Fear of an "ugly" death, maybe. Fear of missing out on seeing how my kids and grandkids turn out, definitely.

changeling

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I fear dying painfully and I fear dying young and I fear dying unnoticed, but I don't fear death as such.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Oh, God, please do not make me live forever! Not unless I get a pet lion!

Kom susser todd...

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

OM...

Wow:

About once or twice a year, I'll wake up in the middle of the night with these three brilliant revelations:

1. Holy Crap! I'm actually gonna die someday! (As moronic as this sounds, born-in JWs are not taught to believe this. What a mind-screwing!)

2. We all die alone. Even if we have family and friends holding our hand when we pass behind the curtain of death, we must go alone.

3. I don't want to die.

I generally have experienced 1 and 3. As a JW it hit me hard when I turned 35 and I realized that "Millions now living will never die" wasn't going to apply to me. As you say, as a good JW I believed that I would never die.

Actually, I stopped worrying about when I started realizing that JWs don't have the truth. If it's part of a 6-12 month cycle, I'm due for another whack soon...

A@G

• Moxie
    Moxie

I don't want to die. I don't fear death because it is unavoidable. I do however fear not living life to its fullest, not contributing good to the world by my presence and not having reconciled with my family before death comes.

• heathen
    heathen

as woody allen would say -- I don't fear death , I just don't want to be there when it happens ....

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the all the replies. I found this interesting mind-trip on another old thread from a poster named "SAHS". (No history is shown for SAHS. Weird.)

Here?s an interesting little relativity-like ?thought experiment? regarding the experience of death:

Let me ask all of you, What exactly were you thinking about, worrying about, or experiencing on January 1st, 1800? Were you thinking, ?Boy, I?m really sick and tired of waiting to be born sometime in the next century,? or, ?This is kind of boring and scary, not being born yet?? I don?t think so. Although you can?t exactly remember just what you were thinking or feeling on January 1st, 1800, you can logically conclude that you were not thinking or feeling anything?because you weren?t born, and therefore didn?t exist yet. Your ?life??or that which is the entity specifically comprising your ?consciousness??was yet to be (and if your parents never meant, it never would be, in any event).

So, what is my point? Well, if we change the above date to January 1st, 2200?assuming that you won?t end up in the earthly Paradise, or in heaven, or in a dog?s body, or that they don?t invent a real bitch?n? version of Geritol in the immediate future that would allow you to live that long?well, ... wouldn?t it be the exact same thing as January 1st, 1800? I mean, nothing being ventured or being gained ... just, well, nothing (door knob status)?

So, when you think of it, there really is nothing to fear about the state of death ... because in the eternal time continuum, we?ve already been there before!

?SAHS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit