Worlds Apart

by truthsetsonefree 24 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I will am looking into where it is going, as well as DVDs etc. Will keep you posted. Below is my critique of it which I want to forward to the producer.

Worlds Apart Review
    By Isaac Carmignani

Worlds Apart is a movie that does that magical thing that is so necessary in telling the JW story. It is a story. It touches the heart. It refrains from going into long and potentially boring dialogue on the real, alleged, or perceived fallacies of Watchtower teachings. Yet it manages to address nearly all of the major doctrinal flaws. Through conversations between the characters we learn about the blood issue, date prophecies unfulfilled, being expelled merely for sleeping over at someone's home of the opposite sex, children being baptized, shunning, kids leaving school to pioneer, the betrayal by close friends, the hypocrisy of close friends, the hypocrisy of elders who want forgiveness but won't forgive others, the conflicts inside Witnesses, the dignity stripping judicial process, the hype at conventions where examples paraded before the membership often are struggling with the religion themselves, and so much more.

Even though the movie is subtitled in English the actors show emotion in their voices, facial expressions, and body language. This fills in the gaps.

The movie is accurate in many small details such as in the look and color of WT publications.

The translation seems well done though some of the terms used in the English do not fully reflect JW speak. But that is minor and would never be noticed except by JWs closely scrutinizing the movie. Other details that I picked up were that JWs were portrayed as not being allowed to vote, which is technically no longer true. (Of course in practice JWs don't vote anyway since it is still heavily discouraged.) One other point to note is that JWs close their eyes when praying.

Recent developments in the organization are also captured such the change in disfellowshipping (expelling) announcement and the recent focus on Jesus as a kind and loving person.

I truly believe that this movie needs wide circulation. I would even be willing to help if I can be of assistance. People in the general population need to see this.

A footnote: This movie received a 7.2 IMDB rating.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Yes, the depiction of the JC was right on....

Setting:

3 elders and a scared 17 yr old girl in a locked room inside the KH

Sara: I slept at his house but nothing happened

Chairman: Tell us the truth...we know you are lying. Jehovah hates liars!

Sara: [starts to break down] I was sleeping on the bed and he was on the floor. And I invited into the bed, and then we kissed.

Elder2: Did he touch your breasts? {Gasps in the movie theater audience - prob from the non-JWs present}

Sara: [sobbing] Yes.

Elder3: [directly, no subtlety here] Did you have sex? Did he touch you anywhere else? {gasps again in the theater audience, I hear the word 'pervert' uttered}

Sara: [sobbing, insisting] no, no, no, we didn't have sex. [After a pause] But I love him and I want to be with him...

It was interesting, as Isaac mentioned, how the audience felt the emotions. A number were heard sobbing when she was disfellowshipped, and when she re-encountered her brother who had been Dfd for apostasy and that she had previously shunned.

A great movie for both JWs and non-JWs alike, bur especially for exJWs!

Post Movie note... One of the JWs present called me up today, and told me that he had never had the guts to speak to an 'apostate' before. Now thanks to the movie and meeting us, he wants to learn more about becoming an xJW!

A@G

• wings
    wings
    Post Movie note... One of the JWs present called me up today, and told me that he had never had the guts to speak to an 'apostate' before. Now thanks to the movie and meeting us, he wants to learn more about becoming an xJW!

You are on a roll my friend. Please let us know how that conversaiton goes. I think I could learn a lot from you about being forthright. Can't wait to see the movie, I'll just follow the information about it posted here on our very own apostate website. One place I know I can find the best information.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Wow, I definitely want to see this movie.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

The audience was definitely into it. At the end everyone applauded. Also the song at the end was very touching. I don't know if it was written for this movie. I know that I have never heard it before. One line from it went something like: "How can you call it faith (or love), when it is covered with so much pain." It definitely captured the feelings that xJWs feel. And I thought about the Scripture: "The blessing of Jehovah that is what makes rich, and he adds no pain with it." What a load of malarkey for Sara and many like her.

Isaac Carmignani

http://isaaccarmignani.blogspot.com/

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I saw the movie Friday night. The producer came out and talked to the audience afterward and took questions. He really did his homework.

Couple of very interesting things; apparently Sara still talks to her mother who is still hanging in as a JW to stay in touch with her younger kids. Teis was interviewed about the movie, and while his fiance was obviously not happy about a movie being made about his ex, he said it was a story that should be told. He is now married.

Sara broke up with Teis because she needed to stand on her own feet to find herself, but it took place over a longer period of time than in the movie.

The best of all; in the last scene in the train car, there was another woman in the same car and she smiled at the actress playing Sara, that WAS the real Sara!

Any of you who may get to see it in the future, keep your eyes open for that.

It was fabulous.

(And the people in my audience gasped too at the elders questions about sex.)

• flipper
    flipper

ISAAC- My TRUTH SETS ONE FREE main man- hey dude ! Please let us know where we out west here in California and all points west or east of the Big Apple can get this DVD! I'm stoked just reading all your posts ! GIMME , GIMME, GIMME, I WANT, I WANT, IWANT, INEED, INEED,INEED ! ( Just a hanging on scene from What About Bob! ) don't freak. I wait with baited breath for info on this ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was part of the meetup (lots of fun), but was unable to stay for the movie. I am really upset now. What a great story.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

PurpleV, that info is awesome. We were wondering about Sara's cameo appearance.

Flipper, I will find out what I can.

Isaac Carmignani

http://isaaccarmignani.blogspot.com/

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Wow, very interesting. Thanks for the reviews.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit