If you believe in nothing, then how do you know JW's are wrong?

by slimboyfat 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

What a fascinating philosophical thread I missed five years ago. I think all things are based on belief except two that don’t. One is mathematics, which interestingly doesn’t exist in what we call reality. What I mean by that, is that perceived reality conforms to mathematical rules true, but nothing that exists is mathematics. The other is our own reality, not the body though, but that thing that is aware of the body and much else as well. Maths of course doesn’t exist as I said but matter and forces work according to its rules, but what exactly are they confirming to? Even mathematics poses a kind of belief or acceptance that it works without knowing why, leaving only the inner thing of the subjective self as existing with no need for proof. Who ever needed to prove their own existence to themselves? It is simply irrelevant and in fact when one thinks about it, one doesn’t even need evidence let alone proof that one own self is real, why is that? but perhaps it provides some clues as to why belief is needed, as when one belief is removed anther takes its place. It is like all have the same amount of belief but its arranged differently for each person, yet consistency still seems to be present in the universe due to mathematical laws.

Sorry just thinking outloud.

• Knowsnothing
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

Couldn't you say the same about Islam, buddhism, sikhism, catholics?

i like how you think FBS, i know you will likely take this the wrong way, but,your mind with the advantage of a modern scientific appreciation would be of great value, you are always almost there, I dont mean with the answers, becsuse who am I to say what any answer is, but with the logic and reason you use. You hold human logic, emotion and instince in a considerably high regard as evidence, whereas we have long known it to be very unreliable.

Your approach and reasoning is semi logical but not practical, in reality we CAN make sense of information and data and use evidence to make a desicion based on probability. Science works.... it actually provides results that work! Alternatively, your idea, lock yourself into a room of indesicion for the reason of not knowing every fact in the universe, but you won't get very far..... About as far as the hypothetical room you restrict yourself to.

Guess what does work, does provide results, does lead to progress and toward truth? Scientific method. Apply it so your beliefs and see what happens.... No? Ok go back in your room of denying everying and refuting all concerns in the absence of having all information of the universe.

snare x

p.s. remember the peoole who wrote those jewish scrolls were just as ignorant as us too, if you wish to give the bible a special place in world history that is up to you, but there is no reason, logic or shred of evidence to support such a stand, it is as special as a dictionary or shakespeare, only a dictionary is useful and shakespeare would never evoke such evil.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

i believe in chemistry, biology, most physics....I believe there are a lot of things we don't know .....I believe in the mastermind alliance..... that two minds working in harmony obtain the energy resources and knowledge of each other and essentially create a third mind that is much greater than the minds individually.

I believe the JW's are hand to mouth narcissists and narcisstic suppliers. I believe the JW's are a petri dish for the growth of the narcissist that allows them to devour their victims. How do i know this? I just woke up one morning and decided it.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Any JW Parent That takes their child out in the field to perform “Service Hours” is engaging in extortion of their child for the benefit of the corporation.

You can say what you want about the for profit corporation and their disposing of real estate but the sweat equity to pay for that laundering is through the parents and children out in the field. The corporation benefits from “Service Hours” of those extorted children. $$$$$ The aiding, abetting and coersion is self evident.

• humbled
    humbled

They are wrong if only because they TELL us what to believe, whether or not I believe in anything or nothing at all.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Do you believe Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong?

for me it's more to do with being asked to join with them in the preaching and not being able to do so anymore as I cannot justify the message.

whether they are right or wrong isn't why i left.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ucantnome - "...whether they are right or wrong isn't why i left."

It was for me, inasmuch as I concluded that their claim of being "God's Chosen Earthly Organization" was wrong.

• looter
    looter
    for me it's more to do with being asked to join with them in the preaching and not being able to do so anymore as I cannot justify the message.

In other words, you left because you believed they were wrong basically.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Define "nothing"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit