If you believe in nothing, then how do you know JW's are wrong?

by slimboyfat 70 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Many who leave the Witnesses go on to affirm other recognisable sets of beliefs. Some become Christians of various sorts, others tend toward patriotism as a kind of rejection of the anti-patriotic stance of the Watchtower, while yet more simply affirm in general the secular values of mainstream society. It makes sense for them to say Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong because they have found something else. Their rejection of the Witnesses is articulated in the language of the embrace of the new.

But what of those who claim they now believe nothing? Leaving aside whether it is even possible to believe nothing or whether this assertion presents a delusion of sorts, what I wonder is, in what terms can a person who "believes nothing" also assert that he rejects the truth claims of Jehovah's Witnesses? What language can he possibly use to express such rejection that does not necessarily imply other positive beliefs?

I find this difficult because it seems to me that every rejection implies the embrace of some displaced other, no matter how subtle. Take the blood issue for example. Should someone refuse blood that can save their life? If I assert that one should not refuse blood does this not imply a range of positive beliefs such as: the medical profession gives the best medical advice; the Bible does not forbid blood transfusion; preserving life is more important than following purity rules; this life is all there is; heartache should be avoided if at all possible. Which of those sentiments you refer to in your rejection of Witness policy will depend on whether you believe in God and the Bible or affirm secular values, but in order to make sense when stating that life-saving blood transfusion should not be refused you need implicitly to draw upon at least some such positive statements of belief. If you do not believe in God, the Bible, the value of preserving human life and preventing sorrow, then what basis is there left for asserting that refusing life-saving blood would be wrong?

The same is true of other controversial aspects of Witness belief: if you reject Witness chronology you affirm in some sense traditional historical/scientific methods of chronology (or else some other pre-critical "Bible" chronology). If you reject Witness anti-patriotic sentiment you affirm patriotism whether that be jingoistic or humanitarian in focus. If you reject Witness disdain for charity and world-affirming projects for betterment then you embrace the notion than humans can and should try to improve our lot and not wait for God to act. If you reject the Witness reading of the Bible then you necessarily accept some other reading: and that holds true whether that other reading happens to be a coherent systematic theology or simply a tendency to believe that the Bible offers no clear message at all, but many contextually specific meanings.

Personally I find it hard to say the Witnesses are wrong about anything. If I say they are wrong about what the Bible means, then don't I have to demonstrate what it does mean? Otherwise how do I know they are wrong. I am in no position to do that. Are they wrong not to involve themselves as citizens in the running of the states in which they live? If I say they are wrong to take that position on what ground do I say political involvement is the best course? I like the idea of becoming an involved citizen, but I have no way of showing that this is the "correct" attitude to adopt, merely that it is what I find agreeable. And how can I tell a Witness that he should take blood? Personally I would prefer to preserve my own life if such a life-threatening situation arose. But then I have lots of preferences that don't seem to transfer easily to others. Why should this be different? How can I confidently assert that preserving life is the most important thing. I "feel" that it is, but on what objective basis can I show that to be the case without invoking yet more questionable assumptions and beliefs?

If you truly believe in nothing then it makes no sense to say Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong.

If you do believe Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong then this implies the embrace of other positive beliefs that betray a claim to belief in nothing.

Do you believe Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong? And what do you believe in?

Slim

• journey-on
    journey-on

You have a very good point, Slim.

Yes, I feel the JWs are wrong for ME. Now, you ask, "what do you believe in."

I have to say that currently I believe that each and every person on the planet

is a manifested expression of the creator, The Eternal One. Each

is a "temple" wherein "God" dwells in union with you. You can consciously

connect to it or not....it's your choice....your free will. If you make the connection and live your life

in union with God's nature, which is Perfect Love, you will always work to find the perfect balance.

It is in the perfect balance (moderation in all things) where happiness and joy are found.

This is on the individual level of consciousness. I believe, however, there are other levels and

they encompass group consciousness. Now, it gets a little more mysterious and complicated.

But, for the individual, the above is what I currently believe.

• oompa
    oompa
    Slimboy: Personally I find it hard to say the Witnesses are wrong about anything. If I say they are wrong about what the Bible means, then don't I have to demonstrate what it does mean? Otherwise how do I know they are wrong. I am in no position to do that.

Interesting but overly simplistic to me. We should all be able to say we dont know something or dont believe something without having to know or prove our own point....If you don't know.....you dont know. If we all could do this, then we would all know all the answers. You dont have to say "they are wrong about what what the Bible means", but you should be able to say "they are wrong about what the Bible SAYS".

ANY religion that intentionally alters modern translations of the Bible to make them say whatever they want....to suit their own teachings........CAN NOT be trusted. THAT is how you "know they are wrong." What the Bible means is sooooo open to opinion and interpretation....but not what it says.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Slim,

Personally I find it hard to say the Witnesses are wrong about anything. If I say they are wrong about what the Bible means, then don't I have to demonstrate what it does mean? Otherwise how do I know they are wrong. I am in no position to do that.

A non-believer can demonstrate that the WTS is incorrect in many of its Biblical interpretations by using the Bible itself to prove this. The non-believer can then go on to prove the Bible itself to be suspect, at least as the literal word of God, by providing external evidence for this fact.

I see nothing incongruous in this process.

HS

• parakeet
    parakeet

SBF wrote: "If you truly believe in nothing then it makes no sense to say Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong."

You're creating a false dilemma. Your choices are JW belief or belief in nothing at all. There are plenty of other beliefs and philosophies out there, many of which refute JW doctrine. The point you're making is that JW belief is better than nothing at all. Not only is that illogical, it's scary. Personally, I would much rather believe in nothing (not true, but let's say so for argument's sake) than submit myself to the misogynistic, abusive, hate-promoting doctrine of the WTS.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Hmm - I've often thought it must be harder for those who continue to believe in something. Well, especially the Bible.

If something Witnesses teach comes up in a conversation, and they say "Well, it was that way in biblical times as well, just see here.", I can say "Sorry, but because of [this, that and the other], I no longer believe the Bible to be the word of God, so even if you can show me how it used to be, that holds no weight with me." Whereas if I still believed in the Bible as the word of God, I would have to come up with a different interpretation of those scriptures to prove them wrong, but most likely we would have to agree to disagree, because there are thousands of different interpretations for almost any scripture.

in what terms can a person who "believes nothing" also assert that he rejects the truth claims of Jehovah's Witnesses? What language can he possibly use to express such rejection that does not necessarily imply other positive beliefs?

This is a rather common thought from those who do believe in something, because in their universe, God does exist, and everyone else is deluding themselves. But - in my universe, God does (most likely) not exist. So - does that mean I positively believe something opposite to what the JWs or other religious people believe? Not viewed from 'my universe'. From my view, I have only removed JW claims as truth for a reason, and that's it. Of course, from the perspective of someone who believes in either Jehovah or another God, this is not possible, because God is still there, so therefore, from their perspective, I positively chose to believe the opposite of JWs (or other religious people). JWs are wrong because of [this, that and the other], and I have replaced it with - - - - nothing. Well, nothing when it comes to a belief in God, anyway. It does follow that I now "believe" science has found certain answers to life's mysteries, but I can actually visualize people turned atheist who wouldn't actually even need to do that. They could use logic as a way of rejecting God, and have no real opinion on science. By the way, I feel these arguments present a very black or white way at looking at things. The world is full of beautiful gray in-between.

Take the blood issue for example. Should someone refuse blood that can save their life? If I assert that one should not refuse blood does this not imply a range of positive beliefs such as: the medical profession gives the best medical advice; the Bible does not forbid blood transfusion; preserving life is more important than following purity rules; this life is all there is; heartache should be avoided if at all possible. Which of those sentiments you refer to in your rejection of Witness policy will depend on whether you believe in God and the Bible or affirm secular values, but in order to make sense when stating that life-saving blood transfusion should not be refused you need implicitly to draw upon at least some such positive statements of belief. If you do not believe in God, the Bible, the value of preserving human life and preventing sorrow, then what basis is there left for asserting that refusing life-saving blood would be wrong?

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that you believe that atheists or agnostics place no value on preventing sorrow, preserving life etc.? The statements I've highlighted in yellow above that - - I can agree with all of those and still be an atheist. Of course, the part about the Bible not forbidding transfusions would perhaps be a little out of place, but in a conversation with a JW, I could still use that argument, just as much as someone who does believe in the Bible. I don't see the conflict here. If this life is all there is, it just becomes even more valuable, wouldn't you agree? If there were only one diamond in the world, wouldn't it be literally priceless because of it's rarity and 'irreplaceability'?

The same is true of other controversial aspects of Witness belief:
    if you reject Witness chronology you affirm in some sense traditional historical/scientific methods of chronology (or else some other pre-critical "Bible" chronology).

Yes, one then most likely accepts the dating presented by secular scientists over theologians or religious people who may be experts but who have an emotional investment in their findings. Most likely (since this is a topic about those who believe nothing), one also rejects biblical history except for the few things that have been confirmed through archeology. But what is the point here? I don't get it. There are clear cut reasons why one chooses to accepts those things, it's not a belief one just jumps onto as a villy-nilly substitute. At least it shouldn't be. It should come from research.

If you reject Witness anti-patriotic sentiment you affirm patriotism whether that be jingoistic or humanitarian in focus.

I can't really say at this point. I do reject JWs anti-patriotic sentiment, but at the same time I'm a little wishy-washy with my patriotism (not an American btw, so don't go there, wherever 'there' is). In other words, this is a little area of 'gray' with me.

If you reject Witness disdain for charity and world-affirming projects for betterment then you embrace the notion than humans can and should try to improve our lot and not wait for God to act.

Yes, most likely. The point?

If you reject the Witness reading of the Bible then you necessarily accept some other reading: and that holds true whether that other reading happens to be a coherent systematic theology or simply a tendency to believe that the Bible offers no clear message at all, but many contextually specific meanings.

Yes - I still don't see how this is a problem. Oh - maybe I'm coming to it:

Personally I find it hard to say the Witnesses are wrong about anything. If I say they are wrong about what the Bible means, then don't I have to demonstrate what it does mean?

Umm - yes, but only if you still believe the Bible, but this thread is about those who believe nothing. Those who believe nothing, however, would probably have to say why that is in such a debate. But it most likely wouldn't be a rebuttal of a specific theological point in a specific scripture.

Otherwise how do I know they are wrong. I am in no position to do that. Are they wrong not to involve themselves as citizens in the running of the states in which they live? If I say they are wrong to take that position on what ground do I say political involvement is the best course?I like the idea of becoming an involved citizen, but I have no way of showing that this is the "correct" attitude to adopt, merely that it is what I find agreeable.

Yes - although the argument against them could seem a little weak. The argument would be some kind of version of the teacher in a classroom saying "Get that bubblegum out of your mouth! What if all of you were chewing gum? That'd be a right mess!" Of course, the response would be "But not all of us do, just a few". In the case of Witnesses, I guess they could say they're just a small group, but they are part of the community - things the politicians decide do influence them, and things they decide to do or not do (like voting) will affect them (and others) if they like it or not. If everyone behaved like them, we'd have anarchy. Of course, they'd say we'd have theocracy, but I don't see their kingdom halls being run directly by God.

And how can I tell a Witness that he should take blood? Personally I would prefer to preserve my own life if such a life-threatening situation arose. But then I have lots of preferences that don't seem to transfer easily to others. Why should this be different? How can I confidently assert that preserving life is the most important thing. I "feel" that it is, but on what objective basis can I show that to be the case without invoking yet more questionable assumptions and beliefs?

If there's one thing we can be 100% certain of (unless we're en route to the loony bin), is that we're alive now. We know we have this life. That's really all we know. It would be in our best interest to preserve that precious life no matter if we believe it to be a gift from God or not. It would be in the best interest to those around us as well. About taking blood, it's not so much that one should take blood anymore, it's more about accepting the best, most efficient medical help one can get. Sometimes that will include taking a transfusion, other times it may not because of micro invasive surgery methods they now have.

I don't think it's out of the realm of an atheist or agnostic to discuss Bible doctrine either, actually. Just like I can post comments about some fictional novel I have read, and discuss it with others on an internet forum and agree or disagree about it's meanings, I should be able to do the same with the Bible. I don't see why that's impossible. I could use the same arguments about blood, from the Bible, that is used by believers here when confronting a JW. I don't see the conflict in doing so.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Do you believe Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong?

Stupid is as stupid does.

And what do you believe in?

My own thinking ability.

• oompa
    oompa

Oh btw.......I forgot to mention that I believe there was and possibly is a God or Creator....I just can't deny the complexity of basically ALL THINGS. But have no clue as to why he would not VERY CLEARLY and UNMISTAKENLY let us know what the hey is going on down here.....what the future holds.....what happens at death........if he is there, he sure does not seem to care very much........very disturbing.....................oompa

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The belief system of Jehovah's Witnesses is based upon certain premises. Having proven to myself that said premises are in error, I merely view their belief system as a subset of a system of human cultural world views.

There are various discourses operating upon the thinking of humans living within the broad culture we today call Western Civilization. "Discourses have the effect of acting like a paradigm or context inside of which we think. Almost everything thought by most humans will have reference to or live inside of the current prevailing discourses. Some discourses live in just one society, others seem to be shared by most humans (the discourse for war seems to be global, the discourse for women's equality is specific to just a few countries). The few people who recognize the prevailing discourses and step outside of them will trigger the immune system of the prevailing discourse." *

These same discourses naturally are operating upon the Witness mindset, and are shared commonly with "worldly" people; therefore I see their belief system as if it were a box within a box within a box. One often finds that it is most difficult to think outside the box, and indeed the leaders of Jehovah's Witnesses actively discourage such behavior via various "conversations" that have been put into the minds of the rank and file. A discourse will express itself in various sub-conversations.

If we take the blood issue as an example, what discourses and conversations are running the minds of Jehovah's Witnesses. Indeed, what opposing discourses and conversations are running the minds of doctors and nurses who wish to administer blood transfusions? On both sides there is a strong discourse for respect for life and authority. However, the sub-conversations may be quite different. Medical personnel have been trained in the conversations of their practice. Simply put, "I respect the authority of my medical school and the laws of the country under which it operates. I value your life, and a blood transfusion is the way to save your life." On the other hand, a Witness has been taught a different conversation which goes something like, "I respect the authority of the Governing Body and the Elders who receive it via Holy Spirit from Jehovah God. I value my everlasting life, so I must refuse to accept blood because it could cost me that eternal reward."

Leaving Jehovah's Witnesses does not free one from the discourses common to humanity, but it does allow one to leave the conversations behind. Which conversation is running you?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

SBF,

Do you believe Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong? And what do you believe in?

Yes I do believe JWs are wrong. I can prove it from the Bible. 1914, other sheep, adding Jehovah to scriptures in the NT, 1919, 1938-1944, JW interpretation is a load of BS.

This does create a conundrum... now that I no longer believe in the WTS explanation, what do I believe. I need time to decide what I will believe, so I can't answer that question. But my belief is that JWs do not have a monopoly on truth, as they proclaim they do. If they are wrong, and I am researching to decide what exactly I will believe, if I don't find another belief system nicely written out for me, it doesn't mean that I need to return to the JWs. I already know that they are wrong. I merely don't know who may be right.

I ask you this. Your very name "slimboyfat" is a contradiction. Are you slim, or are you fat? You can't be both at the same time.

So if the JWs are wrong, then they can't be right. or are they "rightJWwrong"?

Please don't take me wrong, I am not attacking you. I am merely making a point that if something is proved wrong to me, the lack of meaningful alternatives do not make it right.

Cheers,

A@G

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit