Whats wrong with obeying God?

by real one 44 Replies latest jw friends

• real one
    real one

Many who post here are always talking about they don't need God and that they don't believe in God and that he dosen't exist.

God does not ask us to do unreasonable things. Most of the things he ask us to do protects our lives.

Why don't people get that? Why are we always trying to resist God? Is it our human nature?

• steve2
    steve2

Which God are you talking about? And whose interpretation of his will? You make obeying God seem so simple. The JW says it's Jehovah's will as revealed through his channel, Moslem's says its Allah, Catholics say it's God's word as interpreted by the Pope and on and on and on and on.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Yes, those who say they are obeying God, are really only obeying a particular writer or theologians concept of God's will. Unless of course God talks to you personally Real One? Does he?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Wht be obedient to God?

Really, I mean it - why? If a creator god is real and he is the source of life well then I would certainly acknowledge that and give him thanks for my existence and for the universe I live in. But obedience?

I think of it this way. My Mum and Dad gave me life, ensured my education, looked after my health and wellbeing, loved me, taught me the value of kindness and friendships and so much more. I will always be grateful and I will never stop respecting them. However, I won't always obey them.

As a grown man with a wife and three children of my own wouldn't it be a bit odd if I always, unquestioningly obeyed my parents? In truth, the instances of disobedience are rare but they have happened. We all still love each other and my parents haven't decided to bring their vengeance down upon me and smite me into nothingness.

Why does god make such demands of us? Why is it, 'obey me or die'? Does god actually deserve our obedience? If you think so, please, please tell me why!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Be sure it is really God who is giving you the rules and not men.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    God does not ask us to do unreasonable things

I think you're about to get a whole load of responses to this particular inanity. Let me start;

" And God went on to say: "Take, please, your son, your only son whom you so love, Isaac, and make a trip to the land of Mo·ri´ah and there offer him up as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I shall designate to you. "

Genesis 22:2

• heathen
    heathen

I'm waiting for real one to elaborate more on how we obey God in his or hers opinion .I think most people are just tired of the mind control of cults so it's not just about obeying God it was about obedience to men and their concept of religion.Allot of religions have done allot of evil things in the name of God so therefor makes people less likely to go to religious meetings or believe in God.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I do not rail against God's instructions. I have no clear indication of what they are to be honest.

I find great pleasure in living a life of purpose, kindness, love and appreciation toward others [including whatever/whomever God really is], but I don't know what instruction book He might be using - I find all the Holy Writs of which I am aware to be conflicting, confusing, and contradictory at times.

Some don't believe in God - I don't know what I believe about God. His instruction to me is unclear at the moment.

Jeff

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Real One,

After some one leaves the wt like myself, I think of the things I have learned now, to bring me to this point, I still believe in a higher power but

I am unsure of anything else today.

hope4others

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Ok, I’ll explain why I don’t think that following god is a good thing (presuming that we are talking about the god of the bible and not the more ‘obscure’ god’s that there are around).

To examine god we can only go by the bible. And this is where god fails miserably. The old testament is where I would go to in order to answer this question. Lets take a look at some of the things that went on back then, and see if it would have been good to follow god….

He asked the Israelites to clear out the land of Canaan, something that was going to be quite a traumatic thing for a human to do. When you consider the mental repercussions of war, there is a lot of suffering for the people who engaged in warfare. This is not to be underestimated.

But then, take a look at what god was asking of the fighting men back then. They were to storm a city, and in some cases, they were to kill everything that moved, man ,woman and child. Think of the scene that comes from that fact. You burst into a room, there are the parents huddling in fear protecting the new born baby that they have just had. You kill the father, the mother then screams out because of the murder of her husband, so then you take your sword to her, and the blood that splatters from her falls onto her new born baby that has just dropped out of her dying arms. Now the baby is laying on the floor, crying because of the commotion, defenceless, the fighting man then takes his spear and runs it through. The baby writhes in pain, wriggling vehemently as he stabs it through again, now the baby is coughing up blood as it screams and hangs onto its last dying breath. Finally it goes limp. God’s will has been done.......

Can you imagine the emotional consequences of such horror…..?? And that is what I think I would say was wrong with obeying god…

I held a new born baby the other day. 6 pounds and 1 ounce. Can’t tell you how that felt. Amazing. Could I obey god, and kill it…….??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit