Are Believers Truly Humble?

by serotonin_wraith 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xena
    Xena

King of Neds maybe.....

• ninja
    ninja

ned.....ned?.....where's that thread about words that crush?....failing that.... where are the threads about annoying texans?.......failing that....where's the nearest pub?

• parakeet
    parakeet

real one, where are you? Please weigh in on this topic. Believers and nonbelievers alike need to see how you set the example of true believer humility.

You there, real one? We're waiting.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

DD:

It really depends on many factors, like peers and crowd mentality and so on. Things aren't always what they seem. The old saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes really applies here.

Humility takes many forms, I'll agree. I'm not talking about the actions of people, rather their beliefs. In that context, someone who stands on the street corner shouting 'repent of your sins!' is being as humble as an 88 year old grandmother who keeps her religion to herself but still feels Jesus is going to come back and judge the world. It's about being sure of the way this universe works and our place in it, when the most humble answer may be 'we just don't know'. Again, in this context, if the man on the corner was willing to change his mind given enough good reasons, and the grandmother was completely shut off from a different worldview, I'd call the man more humble.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    where are the threads about annoying texans?.......

My pic is next to the "most annoying texan"........can't help it if I'm stuck in misery right now!! (missouri)

• White Dove
    White Dove

Not the ones I've spoken with. They tend to be quite judgemental of my choice of religion/philosophy of life.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    It works if you cross of the extra 'that'. Looks like a small typo to me. I want to check it's not just a clever play on words though, so Burn, are you saying you believe non-believers could get into heaven, or do you believe they could survive their own death and get to another realm, except this other realm is just hell?

It's not a clever play this time. ;-)

I do like wordplay however.

I believe the soul lives on.

Where?

Your choice....

I think even those with no faith can get to heaven.

Please excuse my further mocking arrogance.

Burn

• White Dove
    White Dove

WT Wizard,

I was thinking that maybe using the term "holy books" would include more religions into what you are saying. The Jews might be humble by taking an honest look at their talmud and the Muslims might be more humble taking a closer look at their Quran to see if those books actually are full of truth or crap. There are so many holy books of different religions that their followers might be more humble in taking a closer look. I loved your post. It makes so much sense to honestly and without blinders take a gut check at those holy books, of which the Bible is but one.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I believe in the possibility of an afterlife that everyone, good and bad, goes to but have no proof of it. I am a wishful thinker that might be right, or I might be wrong. What I do know is this, and it may be true of many die hard religionists which I'm not, my religion/philosophy of life gives me peace and happiness. I do not have false hope as I am open to possibilities, not absolutes. My friend said that once you believe something, you've closed your mind to other possibilities. Belief is a dangerous thing. I prefer posibilities as they can change.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Burn,

I excused your arrogance long ago. It's fine, honest. If you don't want to be an arrogant person, judge yourself to see if you are or not. Maybe you don't think you are, maybe you know you are but you don't mind that you are. Maybe you think it's a good quality, one that will get you into heaven perhaps.

For the list:

Some may assume we have souls, even though there is no evidence humans exist as separate entities away from their physical bodies.

As well as the other things you've not answered, I wondered if you'd made a mistake when you wrote this:

Many names for one God. Many faces.

For example, each believer has a different view of God. This occurs as each individual interprets 'God' viscerally and strains their idea of God through a sieve of unique experiences and unique emotions. Five billion people believe in God, there you have five billion Gods.

I ask, because it contradicts what you wrote to me a few weeks back:

You are the one that's closed minded, it seems to me. You repeat the same thing over and over again like your brain is stuck in a closed loop.

YHWH=Thor=Zeus=Ra=Hathor.

Over and over again.

I do think you're a smart person. It's just when this god stuff comes up I feel your logical mind takes a dive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit