Are Believers Truly Humble?

by serotonin_wraith 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The first quote is not mine.

The second was in an entirely different context.

BTS

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Religious is hearing what God tells you to do.

Arrogance is thinking you can hear what Got tells others to do.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Religious is hearing what God tells you to do.

Arrogance is thinking you can hear what God tells others to do.

Nice The way I see it humility is necessary in a religious context when you are part of a group and there are leaders involved. A good example of this is the JW, you must be humble to accept the leadership of the governing body, but when it comes to the way they see the rest of the world they become very arrogant. I believe that when someone insist that what they believe is more important then anybody else's belief but does not have any proof to back up this belief then that becomes arrogant, especially if they want to impose their belief.

• RAF
    RAF

Are Believers Truly Humble?

Believers in what ?

• I guess that anyone who believes/have face in the power/benefit of humility is certainely strong enough to be humble as well as he can fail since perfection is not given (replace humility by whatever)

(sorry but I just can put it that way since otherwise we don't really know what we are talking about, cause when we talk about God it depends then on who you you are talking to = what he does believe about IT)

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Humility and arrogance are relative concepts often misread by those not having close bonds of understanding and/or communication.

It depends on the heart condition of the individual.

I recall feeling pain at the thought that many would not survive Armageddon and felt guilt at not being gifted to convert to a life saving belief.

I could not tolerate the noise in my head over this perpetual dilema of a belief I had been indoctrinated with. I spare no sympathy for those who gave it to me! Pure pain and inescapable! I can see how some become arrogant in order to relinquish themselves of the responsibility of converting masses to their belief - a sort of survival tactic for self sanity within a dogmatic cult.

Those who are truly arrogant are ones who absolutely believe themselves to be special and others to be lower classes of life. I find it tricky to know exactly who such ones are for I am unable to read hearts accurately.

• CandleLight
    CandleLight
    Those who are truly arrogant are ones who absolutely believe themselves to be special and others to be lower classes of life. I find it tricky to know exactly who such ones are for I am unable to read hearts accurately.

I find it tricky too. All we have to go on sometimes to tell us about people is words and actions. And this cannot give us the depth needed to see a heart. Good thing it is not my Job! I would have to resign.

Whether someone claims to be religous or not, one cannot be humble without loving others. And if they do love others, they have (perhaps inadvertantly... for perhaps an athiest) reflected the qualities of God, and Jesus. Amazing isn't it. The qualities we most value in others, no matter what religion or non religion they are.....are the same ones attributed to our Father. Our hearts want him, even if we are not aware of it.

JW beliefs would never lend to an understanding that our Father (whom they call Jehovah) is a humble God. Perhaps that is why as a group they have a very hard time reflecting that quality.

I love Jesus words "those whom have not sinned, cast the first stone."..

Putting my stone down

love

CL

• HB
    HB

I am not a Christian but was thinking about this subject at Easter when I read that the Pope washed the feet of 12 priests on Holy Thursday. During a service in a Cathedral in Rome, he poured water from a jug over the priests' feet and dried them. The Priests sat on a raised platform so the pope didn't have to bend down (he is 79).

I know this is supposed to be a symbolic act and is a centuries old tradition, following Jesus' example, but to me the symbolism is meaningless. The Pope could demonstrate his humility a lot more usefully and effectively if instead he worked in a homeless shelter for a week or volunteered in a disaster area. Or if he really has to wash feet, then he should do so for victims of sex abuse by priests. That would involve humility.

Mother Theresa was my idea of a humble Christian, not perfectly humble but the nearest you could get.

PS I bet those twelve priests all had a shower that Thursday morning, manicured their toe-nails and wore clean socks. Maybe I have a wicked sense of humour but I would love it if one of the priests had turned up for the Papal ceremony with really dirty smelly feet, grimy toe-nails and sweaty socks! I am not saying the pope would not wash unclean feet but nevertheless I wouldn't rate the promotion chances of any priest that dared to do it.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The Pope could demonstrate his humility a lot more usefully and effectively if instead he worked in a homeless shelter for a week or volunteered in a disaster area.

Please read the Pope's biography, he has spent his life in service to others.

Or if he really has to wash feet, then he should do so for victims of sex abuse by priests. That would involve humility

The Pope apologized humbly and deeply during his recent visit to the USA, he also met with abuse victims and hubly listened to their grievances, he prayed for their healing.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Some believers certainly ARE humble.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

I can´t see how it´s possible to be a believer and stay humble and opened-minded at the same time.

This test can be very interesting:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit