Are we hyper-sensitised to JW changes? Do we exaggerate their importance?

by yadda yadda 2 31 Replies latest jw friends

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Sometimes I think we are. Sometimes I think we lose all perspective at times on here. That we are just as prone to over-magnifying any meaning behind relatively minor changes like this in the organisation in the same way JW's are prone to over exaggerate every bit of bad news in the world to mean Armageddon is near.

When you sit down in the cold light of day, this change to the bookstudy arrangement for example, is it really that much a big deal?

I strongly doubt it really, despite initial reactions (including my own).

Let's face it, this is just a pathetic little rearranging of chairs on a very slowly sinking ship.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Are we hyper-sensitised to JW changes? Do we exaggerate their importance?

YES. They really arent important at all in the scheme of things.

I think the reason we tend to latch on to them is fear.

I think we (generally speaking) are still afraid of: What If They Are Right. Even if that fear is subconscious. Any little thing validates us and makes us feel that we wont die at Armaggeddon. Even if that validation is subconscious.

Just my observation.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Yeah, but I think we deserve to be over-critical. After so much being unable to criticize, we have some ground to make-up here.

I've also been worried about adjusting our dialogue to optimize the chance that active JWs lurking would gain the interest or courage to make a move. On that too, screw it. I deserve to make obtuse jokes about following the path of Satan, whatever I frickin' feel like. I think the sense of "still bending" to the organization or any associated mentality would be damaging to all of us. No fear, no apologies!

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I don't think we fear they are right, I think we fear the organization will fail to implode, and people will continue foolishly happy/righteous for years on end.

I know the thought of thousands of people believing shit that ain't true, obeying 9 old men in Brooklyn and "feeling fulfilled" by it, pisses me the hell off. Face it, we deep down want it to come crashing down so we can yell BOOYAH! and then stand smugly at the door as they file out with their tails between their legs so they can see we were out first and my aren't we the smartypants.

We fear that feeling you get when a JW smugly preaches at you., OOoooh that feeling, and the deft little social quid pro quo's.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I have thought a million times that things here are exaggerated……….

I did think this during the past few weeks of excitement. I think it is more to do with hurt than anything, that and the betrayal of trust and resulting deception that we have had and the adjustment we find ourselves in as a result.

It can also be observed in other situations of life as well, e.g: when someone splits up from a relationship, many times the story they give is one sided and often exaggerated. But you are dealing with hurt emotions of the heart, and I see a betrayal of faith as no different.

Counsellors and therapists must see this all the time. And it must be hard to draw out a more realistic conclusion of truth. But as I see it, it is all to do with the healing process. And what is always a good indication in how you are doing with regards to healing, is how you exaggerate the facts less and less.

Going back to the example of someone who has just broken up with a partner; when it first happens they obsess about it and exaggerate. But over time, as the healing takes place, they move on, and it won’t seem so important to them as when realisation first sets in. But the initial reaction of shock is understandable, and needed.

So as long as you are not stuck in that place forever, I don’t see that it is unhealthy…..So the big question is:- How long have you been stuck there……?

That is what I think about it anyway……

• yknot
    yknot

I think we can act like rubber-neckers........

• greendawn
    greendawn

There was too much interest shown and too much energy invested in the change regarding the book study. I could never understand why all the excitement about a minor JW change. If it involved a revocation of shunning or preaching yes but not the book study.

• BFD
    BFD

I think sometimes. Like the book-study. Big Whoop!

OTOH, changes like the annoited not being sealed in 1935 and the generation changes go more to the heart of JW beliefs and imo, are important changes in doctrine that can be used to help those stuck in to see the changing face of the borg. I am waiting for the change in the 144,000 understanding. If that ever happens I think JWs will "get out of her" and not look back.

BFD

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Well, I'm going to take a contrary view here since I do think that this seemingly small change is, in fact, quite significant.Why ? I'll post the comments I made before the announcement was made:

While there certainly are a lot of threads on this subject, it really is a big deal.It could be argued by many JW's who left the Org that just our being here "is a waste of time" or "no big deal".Yet, this place serves a very real purpose.For some, it's a lifesaver.For those like myself it's a way of seeing just how others are coping and their present view on matters.Our thought process for so long was tainted by our environment inside the JW world.We thought we were right, that we had it all, or at least most of it, figured out.Then it all fell apart and were forced to re-examine all things.There are many threads because there are presently few answers.Many, whether in or out, will be impacted by this.

The more time one spends away from the org, the clearer ones mind becomes, like a drug that begins to wear off.I believe that if this rumored change is indeed genuine, that some will be able to slow down enough to think more clearly and free themselves and their families from this slavery disgracefully called "the truth".With frequency comes intimacy.But only seeing each other in a limited, nonsocial, and highly controlled setting like the meetings is likely to cause many to grow apart.It can facilitate a fade.It can be harder to get everyone to go to the meetings with such a large gap in between them.One becomes used to "not being there" or having some time for yourself.This change will cause some to research online what other JW's are saying about this major change, and this in turn will lead to the discovery of things that were previously hidden to them.It will cause dissonance because for years the encouragement has been to "never miss a meeting" and to meet "all the more so as you behold the day drawing near." Now, a whole meeting night will be eliminated, the routine of decades will be changed.The initial shock will be replaced by relief by many, and then followed by questions with no real answers.Lack of attendance is obvious and this affects morale and confidence.

I hope this announcement marks the beginning of the end of this org as we know it.It will shake things up.Some will not change, some will grow even more "hardcore"...but others....they will leave.It is good news.It is a big deal.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

We wonder why the Catholic Church gets their child-abuse problem into the mainstream
    press regularly, but the WTS gets the occasional little blip in the national press and
    local papers, but is virtually never mentioned in international news. It's because there just
    are not that many of them.

There aren't that many people in that Texas cult, but they get huge press. This shows that
    the press and the general public define a religious cult as those that live in the compound and
    take advantage of children. JW's are not quite there yet, neither are Mormons.

I will tell you why WE elevate the importance of JW changes and activity. WE KNOW WHAT
    THEY ARE UP TO. If we don't do it, the changes and activity will be ignored. If we see a
    crack in their armor, it's up to us to put a magnifying glass to it. Nobody else will.

The meetings will be one hour less in 2009. That means something. In a mind-control cult,
    lightening up on the control means something. Or it may be that the separate bookstudy groups
    were not in control. This may be a way to help some members to see that it is just a silly
    religion that is not guided by God.

Does a group of people who make their life purpose to save some obscure turtle that is disappearing
    in the wild take their work seriously? Do they get hyper-sensitive to their cause when others could
    not care less? You betcha. Are Ron Paul or Obama followers too dedicated? Depends on who you
    ask.

But we might read too much into changes. There might be simple reasons why things happen and
    we look for deep dark sinister manipulations. It might be that there are not enough elders and they
    want to be able to squeeze 5 congs. into single halls. That might be the whole bookstudy thing.

But since I also amplify the importance of things, I say it is another step toward reducing production
    of new books. People don't want to go to the 5th Revelation Book bookstudy, but WTS doesn't make
    much money on printing tens of millions of new books. Reduce the need by studying them at a
    slower pace.

Now let's get back to examining all the possible reasons for that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit