are men better listeners, or women?

by wings 61 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

I centainly don't want to scare off the straight men from this discussion.

So, is a sympathetic ear listening? Or is understanding the problem and giving advice listening? Or is knowing the difference and knowing when to offer what listening?

Big butts excluded OTWO, that's a no brainer.

• dinah
    dinah

Wings, what makes you think straight men can't listen?

• changeling
    changeling

Listening past the words to the intent and acting (or not) on that, that makes a good listener. IMHO

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

Dinah, I think she was picking up on my over generalized comment. It was "tongue in cheek".

• wings
    wings
    Women and gay men. Straight men don't listen empathetically (as a general rule), the try to "fix" things and that's usually not what you want.

A post from changeling....OTWO was responding to.

I don't have much experience with men friends (just husbands) now I am making male friends, and that is why I started this topic.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sometimes the ones complaining about others not listening are the ones that are themselves not listening. It's not a one way street.

• changeling
    changeling

Here I go again... Are you familiar with personality typeing? Based on Jung's an Myers/Briggs research? Here's a good onlie test: humanmetrics.com

Most people are concrete thinkers as opposed to intuitive thinkers. Also, most men are "thinkers" as opposed to "feelers". When you get an intuitive, feeler, you usually get a very good listener (male or female). Unfortunately, they are in a minority in the general population.

changeling (enfj or extrovert/intuitive/feeler/judger) :)

• changeling
    changeling

Ahhhh...my dear JD. One of my favorite intj's!

changeling :)

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Most people are concrete thinkers as opposed to intuitive thinkers. Also, most men are "thinkers" as opposed to "feelers".

In my observations, that is an overly used stereotype. Men feel just as much as women. What we're allowed to express, however, is different.

• wings
    wings

So, changeling, I am an INFP..... is that a feeler?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit