Public Talk & Bookstudy Changes - the real reason

by bud2114 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

rr

we must be in tune, for it was the same here

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I had it in the breastpocket of my suit jacket, just waiting for the day when they ticked me off.

How empowering.

• oompa
    oompa
    Bud: Burnout is rampant within the ranks of the servant bodies worldwide as fewer and fewer brothers are willing to serve and make the extraordinary sacrifices asked of them by the organization. Elders and servants are "stepping down" at an unprecedented rate.

Bud, or anyone who knows....what is the source of your info as to the ranks worldwide? Also as to the number stepping down? It sure aint happening in the Bible belt of the southern USA and there are a lot of eager brown nosers waiting to move up........My former hall also had 19 elders...the most ever!.................oompa

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

In north Georgia during the 80's and 90's there was a huge shortage of elders.

• RR
    RR

OM

Probably made you feel good just to know it was there huh?

Yeah, it did, I was well liked by the congregation, the BOE didn't care for me much, particularly the PO, he hated me with a passion. The BOE use to harrass me, call me up all hours of the day and night. It wasn't unusual for them to call a special meeting at 10 pm.

When I handed the PO my letter of resignation, I told them, I was stepping down, I specifically told them, I wanted the bookstudy out of my home, as well as the field service meeting.I told them, I will not serve as attendant, that I wouldm not open the door, hold the mikes, serve on the school, I would only go out in service, and when I did, I only went with my Bible.

I felt a huge load off my shoulder when I handed in that letter. We left a few months later and never looked back.

RR

• chickpea
    chickpea

absolutely there is a shortage, either extant or looming large, of willing able and qualified leadership to herd the cats shepherd the flock

i am not sure at all about the body count in the BOE at the kh i attended, but i do know that the influx of "new meat" when some of the younger women married bolstered the MS count and i suspect there is upward mobility for these lads...

also a few dyed-in-the-wool multi-generational families have young men in the pipeline.... unless their attendance at the local technical college liberates their thinking.... Researching Smiley Finding an Answer in a Book

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul
    when I couldn't stomach the 1914 Generation change.

I thought that I was the only one that felt this way. When I questioned it, people acted like I was crazy. I am glad to see that others were changed by the 1995 article as well.

Great point on the dwindling numbers. My best friend stepped down so he could work more OT. I do not attend the meetings, but I love hearing the stories contained in this post.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

I'm pleased to hear that at last, elders and servants are realising the discrepancies that lie within the Org. Is it the demise of this Org? I certainly hope so.

If there is a shortage of elders, what they could do, is what happened in our past cong. (Hereford, UK) when there was a dispute with the so-called "quality" of reading from the brothers, they replaced the readers with sisters who read in the home book-study, this was done even though brothers were in attendance! And more so, in front of any visiting bros and sisters.

Now that was "REAL Wisdom" wasn't it.

I personally didn't have any objection to sisters being used in this way - but that was my opinion, not the so-called Glorious Ones!

Is the ship sinking - even the cabin boy knows there's problems when the water is lapping around his ankles

KT

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I believe they did it as a means of throwing a bone to the JW's, in order to make it appear to lighten their load.

I think the number one reason this change was made is simple---They don't have contribution boxes at the bookstudy, if they did then they never would have dropped/combined it in the first place.

• Sasha
    Sasha

Excellent post and welcome.

Yes, I agree that it is all those things and also money related.

Looks like if organized religion gets thrown down, JW's will too.

And "clowns" is right. I left after 40 years for a lot of reasons, but the "clown" that was conducting the afternoon book study: all he could talk about was how much land he expected Jehovah to give him after the end. He thought his due was at least 10,0000 acres!!!!! I was appalled!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit