Public Talk & Bookstudy Changes - the real reason

by bud2114 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Highlander
    Highlander
    Then there was the steady dumbing down of the whole arrangment by the WTS

That's exactly why they did this move. They need to dumb down the organization in order retain their membership. People have become quite lazy over the last generation and are not interested in joining a group that requires real effort and hard work.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Jim_TX:

I'm with you on this one. I really think the whole amalgamation is an obfuscation to obscure the real reason, which is the name change. From the history of the changes this organization has implemented since 1995 of which I am aware, the overwhelming majority were propelled from a legal/tax directive, and the lawyers are well aware of upcoming tax/subsidy changes in the pipeline, even if we are, as yet, not. But within the next 8 months, those reasons will surely manifest themselves. And yes, I agree, it just has to be about the money, or some tax advantage or government subsidy for religions that promote monotheism (heard about that courtesy of Richard Dawkins).

Great thread and welcome to the board, bud2114!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The tax thing makes no sense. I see absolutely no tax advantage in this. They are tax exempt, and I know enough about tax law to know that moving the Book Study to another night, making it at the Kingdom Hall and changing the name from Book to Bible Study has no affect whatsoever.

How could it??

Tax exempt is tax exempt. There's no other box to check. Congregations don't file tax forms, and these meetings are held by the individual congregations, not the WTS.

This tax argument makes no sense to me, unless there is something I'm missing here.

Now, the dumbing down thing, yeah. I remember an old friend, CO and DO John Crispin, who used to joke that if a brother could put his pants on right side forward, he could become a Ministerial Servant. If he remembered to also zip up his fly, he could be an elder!

S4

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

as an accountant who is familiar with tax exempt status and tax return filed by exempt orgs i concur with S4. Location or name of meeting has no bearing on tax exempt status.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Interesting points. I put my own idea on a separate thread as I did not see this one.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/157618/1.ashx

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Excellent post.

Even the most fiercely loyal are saying "no" to much of what is asked of them and picking and choosing which of the burdensome rules they will follow.

When they miss a meeting or skip field service they reason that they're in it for the long haul, so it's no big deal.

Many working on Kingdom Hall construction would quietly remark that it was better then going out in service.

Service for most involves knocking on a few doors, hoping that no one is home, going for coffee, driving around doing a few return visits, hoping that they're not at home either.

You can't sustain a sense of urgency for a lifetime.

It's burnout on a very deep psychological level.

Never has the apathy been so strong.

There's little point in arguing about failed prophecies or flip-flops in doctrine with most of them.

They just couldn't care less.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

I agree, it may not be tax related, more subsidy.

Here's my take: It makes no sense this change being announced now, but taking effect January 2009.

This is very likely similar to the conditional donation arrangement, announced in plenty of time BEFORE the actual government implementation of new laws took effect, so that the 'publishers' would not put 2 and 2 together and realize the change was not actually motivated by the scripture "You received free, give free".

There's something more to this, and I'm just not sure what it is, but it will become clear sometime in the next 8 months. We just have to keep our eyes and ears alert, so that we put 2 and 2 together at the right time! The GB and their lawyers want this to be totally off the radar when the real reason becomes clear...

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "Tax exempt is tax exempt. There's no other box to check. Congregations don't file tax forms, and these meetings are held by the individual congregations, not the WTS.
    This tax argument makes no sense to me, unless there is something I'm missing here. "

Okay then. Tax exempt status - or tax-related is not it. (Although... tax laws have been known to change... haven't they?)

Keep in mind that local congregations - if I understand it correctly - do not own their own KHs. The WTBTS does.

But I am still thinking that money is involved. The lawyers in N.Y. at the WTBTS are cooking something up.

I remember when we used to go door-knocking - and asked a nickel each for the Watchtower & Awake. Years later - through the almighty arrangement of the folks in Brooklyn - and Jah's kindnesses... we were told to just give them away (or ask for a contribution). It was viewed as such a blessed arrangement from the FDS. Later - those that looked into it discovered that it was related to maintaining their 'tax-exempt status' (if I recall correctly).

The folks in Brooklyn are out of tune with the 'real world'. They could give a rats a** whether the 'brothers' and 'sisters' attend 1 meeting a week or 20. Their main concern is to keep the dollars flowing their direction.

Money. That's my final answer.

Regards,

Jim TX

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There are new tax changes for non-profit organizations including the requirement that they prove their "community benefit." However, churches and religious orders are exempt from filing the required new 990 form:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/990_instructions_highlights_general_040708.pdf

That does not mean that the IRS won't soon go after churches. But I don't think that this has anything to do with the change. The real reasons have all been stated on this board by many and include:

liability issues

elder burnout

low attending meetings

control of the r&f.

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

For an alternate view, see http://nicodemusjw.blogspot.com/.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit